What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bottled my second batch of Mr.beer it smelled just like the first batch but oh well the wife see's now that this turned into way more then just an interest so 5 gal. batches here i come. lol

Just kegged and Altbier and about to get ready for a late night brew session (IPA) after me and the misses put the kids to bed!

Brewed a Porter yesterday (2nd batch ever). Bubbling away today, had to remove the airlock and replace with a tube put in some water.

Well, kids stayed up past 9 so I am going to brew this morning and study for my Accounting midterm that I have to take tonight... brewdying? I think I just wordsmithed! Hooray for multitasking.

Racked my Apfelwein to secondary so I can use it tonight for a batch of AG cream stout I'm gonna do. I'll probably try to dough in sometime around 8:00 tonight. Also shopped for a couple of AG kits I haven't tried yet. Maybe next month I can buy a grain mill and a 50 pound bag of 2-row.

I ordered parts for a cooler MLT last night, and will be picking up a 10 gallon rubbermaid from home depot today. I'm already regretting not ordering two bulkheads and valves to make a HLT too.

Bottled up my Caribou Slobber all grain batch. Put 1/2 case of my ESB in the fridge for 3 week tasting on Thursday.

IMG_0017_zps1495ec14.jpg

Yesterday:

I brewed my first true AG recipe which was a Citra IPA. Conditioned my grain which worked out great. Went with FWH but ran into a problem when beginning my boil, there was a bunch of husks in the kettle so I decided to strain the wort before be ginning the boil. I assumed I lost some hops in the process. Other than that a great brew day. My efficiency was 72.5%, I was .006 points short on my gravity which I was very happy with.

Today:
Bottled 48 bottles of my Redlight Ale which is a knockoff of Highland Brewing Gaelic Ale. The sample tasted great, a great balance. Then I proceeded to delabel about another 48 bottles which brings my total bottle count up to 226, my goal 240, so I can have 5 full batches bottled.

Weighed out hops and grains for my first batch of Common Room ESB I am brewing tomorrow or Tuesday. Still need to calibrate my new dial thermometer. I made a 12" thermowell out of 1/4" copper tube and drilled a hole in my cooler MT so I can monitor mash temps without opening the lid. By mounting it in the lid I don't have to worry about leaks and it is out of the way when I stir the mash. I also bottled a half-rack of kegged Blonde Ale using Biermuncher's stopper and racking cane method. Now I have to drop them off at the in-laws - the things we do to keep the wife's family happy!

I purchased another 1g carboy, a stopper for said carboy, some Australian Galaxy, 2 ell-bees of Maris Otter, and a pack of Safale 04. After the plastic-y taste in my last batch, my 1 gallons will be glass-only, no exceptions.

Just finished brewing a Cream Stout. I also got a surprise when I checked the SG, it was 10 points higher than what the recipe said it would be! My SG was 1.058, and it should finish somewhere around 1.014. I'm just about to pitch the yeast and take my butt to bed, long day ahead.

Brewed a beautifully smelling double IPA with Simcoe, Amarillo, Columbus and Citra. 1.062 OG - US-01 doing its job tonight. Wish I could fast forward 5 weeks and taste it.

Well, it wasn't today but this weekend I...

- cut a piece out of my old Mr. Beer and sent it to my new friends at Brewdemon.com
- built myself a 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun
- brewed up a 5 gallon batch of hard cider (my first time using liquid yeast!)
- picked up some wyeast yeast supplements and irish moss for my next brew
- ordered three bottle drying racks from thefastrack.ca

Not a bad haul for a random weekend in February. :D

- cut a piece out of my old Mr. Beer and sent it to my new friends at Demonbrew.com

I am interested in building my own rubbermaid mash tun as well... Can you pm me with some tips and materials you used?

Brewed 6 gallons of Common Room ESB. This is my first time brewing this recipe and I am looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Bottled my MO IPA into 22's and grolshs bottles. Empty carboy redy for witbier or milk stout. Decisions decisions!

Pulled the trigger on an immersion chiller.

Tomorrow I'll probably go to the home improvement store and get the hardware to turn my cooler into a mash tun. I may get about 10 feet of copper tubing and the fixtures to build a prechiller, but most likely I'll wait until warmer weather to do that.

Tee'd in an ice maker filter into my "drinking water plumbing" to have filtered water in my brewery. Brewed a cream ale, in the fermentor. Joined this forum, and seriously researched electric brewing....really busy.

- cut a piece out of my old Mr. Beer and sent it to my new friends at Demonbrew.com

Uh, dare I ask why?

Leadgolem said:
Uh, dare I ask why?

Edit: Oh I see it now, I typod my original post.

Brewdemon.com not demonbrew. Doh.

Ha, reasonable question. They have a promo running, you send them a particular piece of your mr beer, they ship you their fermenter free - just $13 shipping+handling.

http://www.brewdemon.com/bd-giveaway

Figure ill give it a shot for some 1/2 batches, partial mash. I absolutely admire the marketing approach. Pretty strong.

Soaked 2 ounces of oak cubes in 16 ounces of rye whiskey. Sized my Blichmann burner to fit my new 62 quart boil kettle.

Tore down and cleaned a corney, replaced and lubed O rings

Cleaned and sanitized another corney

Kegged 2 batches

washed some WLP001

cleaned 2 carboys

Decanted and jarred a bunch of conan

started a kolsch yeast starter

I made my first ever yeast starter, to test out my newly built stir plate. It spins! Im using liquid yeast for the first time, wlp007, Dry English Ale.

Bought caps, a pound of DME (frigged up my grain bill purchase for an IPA) and two packs of Cooper's yeast as back ups, as I'm trying to roll with recycled Notty for a while.

Cried a little that someone left a valve open and dumped 1-1.5bbls of my vanilla coffee stout onto the floor and down the drain.

Brewed Hefe
Harvested yeast
Added coffee and vanilla to whats left of the previously mentioned stout.

Latest posts

Back