What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Convinced my kiddos that rather than cookies, Santa would appreciate some homebrew. As I was leaving the house to go to work, they had placed a red ribbon on a bomber of Apple Pie Ale, picked out a pint glass to leave on the counter, and my daughter was in the process of writing out directions to Santa and drawing him a map to the kegerator in the garage. Hmmmm, now Santa needs to decide what to drink after the apple pie ale - California Common, or chocolate coffee oatmeal stout......

Merry Christmas to my fellow Homebrewers!!

Edited to add photos.

image-2982590237.jpg

image-471654181.jpg

Convinced my kiddos that rather than cookies, Santa would appreciate some homebrew. As I was leaving the house to go to work, they had placed a red ribbon on a bomber of Apple Pie Ale, picked out a pint glass to leave on the counter, and my daughter was in the process of writing out directions to Santa and drawing him a map to the kegerator in the garage. Hmmmm, now Santa needs to decide what to drink after the apple pie ale - California Common, or chocolate coffee oatmeal stout......

Merry Christmas to my fellow Homebrewers!!

alaskan kids seem to be rather practical :ban:

I reviewed a Tomyknocker Butthead (was not a fan) and calculated the proper amount of water Id need for my future brew-day

IT was a good day for me and beer :drunk:

Got starters in the fridge to cold crash first thing this morning for tomorrow's double header brewday

Then took a bunch of homebrew over to the in-laws for Xmas. Well received as usual.

Dry hopped my ruination clone, spent my gift cards to the LHBS (and some $ beyond the gift cards), and picked up some beers for R&D.

Went to the LHBS to gather the ingredients for a Red Hook ESB clone. Got the starter going. Brew day is Saturday.

Drove to the lhbs with a foot of snow on the road, they stayed open just for me. Broke a hand corker in the middle of bottling swmbos wine, my spare corker has been on loan for long enough to consider it gone. Also ordered a Italian floor corker with the capping attachment future problems solved.

Boiled 2.5 gallons of water in my new 3 gallon pot to see if the stove was strong enough. Good to go. Got lots of empty bottles again after the last week too.

Stepped up a starter up to 3.5L for a brew on Sunday and kegged 5 of 10 gallons of Centennial Blonde for New Year's Eve. I hate rushing beer, but due to popular demand, I caved.

Took an SG reading of my Oatmeal Stout last night. It's down to 1.016 which is down from 1.020 3 days ago. I'll take another reading tomorrow and if it's stabilized it's going into my secondary with some spiced rum saturated vanilla beans.

Sittin here tellin stories & givin advice with y'all after I fell goin into the garage yesterday. Stepped into a foot deep drift to open the garage door,& my cane slipped. I dropped like a stone on my left hip,the worst hurtin of the two. Didn't feel too bad when my boys helped me to my feet. Hurts like all hell now. Nuthin broken,no bruising. But dang,I can't wait till it's time for some beers & shots. Redneck rhumatiz ya know.
Bugs me that I gotta check my pm ale tomorrow for FG 3 weeks in primary tomorrow. Settin up to bottle is def gunna hurt...

unionrdr said:
Sittin here tellin stories & givin advice with y'all after I fell goin into the garage yesterday. Stepped into a foot deep drift to open the garage door,& my cane slipped. I dropped like a stone on my left hip,the worst hurtin of the two. Didn't feel too bad when my boys helped me to my feet. Hurts like all hell now. Nuthin broken,no bruising. But dang,I can't wait till it's time for some beers & shots. Redneck rhumatiz ya know.
Bugs me that I gotta check my pm ale tomorrow for FG 3 weeks in primary tomorrow. Settin up to bottle is def gunna hurt...

Sorry to hear about the fall. feel better soon. Home brew is always good for what ales ya! Lol couldn't resist the corny line but good luck with the bottling.

Thanks for the thought. Feelin a little better with some beer & shots. Dang middle age sucks. gotta watch everything I do. Mind is still young somewhat. but body says you better watch that shizz. I'll bottle come hell or high water...well,high snow anyway.

Finished some labels for my families homemade Yankee gift swap

20121228_164842_zps66b88cb1.jpg

Also packaged swmbos Yankee swap gift.
20121228_154907_zps92300603.jpg

If these 2 gifts aren't coveted in the swap I will consider this a failure and a waste of serious time

I bottled my new Zealand hopped rye PA and transferred my chai tea milk stout to secondary. Yesterday I picked up some ingredients for a Fat Tire clone that ill make during our nye party.

Bought my grains for my first extract with specialty grains beer tonight, some roasted and flaked barley for a dry stout. Hope to brew it Tuesday morning to ring in the New Year. Pretty excited!

I ordered a bunch of different specialty grains, from northern brewer, that my lhbs doesn't carry.

Picked up grains, honey, and yeast so I can brew an ag version of the White House Honey Porter this weekend.

In preparing for my first brewday in 3 years I bought some one step cleaner and thoroughly cleaned all of my fermenters, bottling bucket, lids, racking canes, and 130 bottles. Also, started up my Bayou burner for the first time, boiled 4+ gallons in 24 minutes. Much better than brewing in the kitchen.

Also, drank the last of my Christmas Craft Brews. The Gold Medal goes to Bourbon County Stout by Goose Island.

Today I went to my LHBS and bought the grain/ingredients for BierMunchers Red Hook ESB Clone he calls Captain Hooked on Bitters. I'm planning to brew on New Years day. Later in the day I racked my Oatmeal Vanilla stout into a secondary over top of some split/gutted/cut vanilla beans which had been soaking for 8 days in some Captain Morgan spiced rum. I'll leave it here for a week or so, then bottle.

Brewed a Chocolate Milk Stout.
Cleaned a few previously full bottles while waiting for the batch to boil.
Cleaned up, and wrote out my notes from the brew.

Bottled 5 gallons of Belgian Red Ale. This was my first all grain batch and it tastes great even flat. Can't wait until it's properly bottle conditioned.

Picked up a 50 lb sack of 2-row, a little bit of Vienna and roasted barley, a pound each of magnum and goldings hops, and a few packets of yeast. Planning four batches in the next few days so I still need to pick up some different grains, hops, and yeast that this seller didn't have in stock. Bonus acquisition - seller gave me 4 ounces of Citra for free!

Made a 'wake-up' starter for my WY 1945. Turned into a 'call-to-arms'. I had to transfer to my fermentation fridge to slow it down, as it went from being a 1L starter to overflowing a half gallon container on the stir plate.

Did my first decoction today in order to bring up the temp of my mash that dropped more than expected. Excited to see how the batch turns out!

Bought ingredients for my imperial stout, made my stout, brought in fresh snow to cool my hot wort....

ForumRunner_20121230_000937.jpg

Going to start doing 1 gallon BIAB tomorrow and started the yeast today. With 6 full primaries in the house, need to find a way to keep brewing without out-producing Anheuser Busch this year. Jalapeno cream on order (plus a serrano cream in gallon 2 and a habanero in gallon 3). Just having a little fun without committing to 5 gallons.

I Finnished Solidering in fittings into my friends Mash tun and two Brew Kettels cleaned up all the equipment. Organized brew equipment Smalls and put into new air tight containers the SWMBO got for me.

Prepering to bottle my forth batch and this time I will be able to start another brew straight away :) Hopefully I aim to always have some bottled and another brew in the fermenter all the time (waiting is not one of my strong points) I may move to having a secondary bin to keep the pipeline flowing and then I can get some nicely aged beers in storage.

I was surprised how easy a decoction really is. If only it didn't add so much time to my brew day.

It was super simple! I was in emergency mode so it didn't really add much time. I only boiled for about 5 minutes before adding back to the tun, but the smell was amazing! Can't wait to brew a hefe and do it properly.

Latest posts

Back