What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I`d order just a little bit of grains since all websites currently say 2-4 days lead time if crushed due to high demand and I don`t have a mill anymore so went to place an order, wow these are cheap gimme a kilo of this and a kilo of that, oh I need those too and of course a new bottle tree for drying, oh and an automatic siphon etc whööps 77eur 💸😅

So I'm 45 minutes into the mash, and the 30 minute sample showed conversion was just about done. I'll check it here in a minute to confirm.

Fermenter soaking in sanitizing solution; hops and additives standing by, boiling commences in just about half-an-hour. Mash pH about 5.5, SG 1.055 (target 1.054), noticeably sweet and aromatic of the grains.

Last edited:
I replaced a leaking regulator today after 10 years of great service helping me to move the grain around.
20240308_103719.jpg

Checked the Baltic porter that's been in the ferm chamber 11 days. I had pitched W-34/70 at 56 and held that until active ferm started slowing, then bumped up to 63 for a d-rest. It's been at that temp for 5 days and I'll hold at that for a while longer. Don't want to hurry a big lager.

Anyway, I drew a sample today and it's 1.020, from OG of 1.088. That's 8.9% ABV, and 77% attn. Would like it to drop a few more gravity points and allow more time for the yeast to clean up before I cold crash. I'll give it another week at 63.

BTW, the hydro sample tasted good.

Pulled my Dirty Pale Ale from the conditioning fridge, it is fully crashed and carbed. Moved it to a kegerator ready to be tapped next week. And began carbonation on my Marzen that has been lagering since late January. Carbonating slowly to be ready to tap St Patty's Day. Checked on a batch of Coffee Liqueur that I made yesterday, it's will be ready by the time I get back from Florida late next week.

Bottled ~5 gal Tellen Du-style porter, ~2 gal cider; man, was that brutal. Lager? Porter? Whatever? Turned out very well, almost identical to last batch, which for a novice like myself is a success. Cider just OK, not terrible, which I'm also chalking up as a success.

Attachments

• 20240309_151851.jpg
    20240309_151851.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240309_151858.jpg
    20240309_151858.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240309_161829.jpg
    20240309_161829.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Finishing my cleanup from yesterday, reset my Inkbird temperature controller (I had the heating differential set WAY too high!) and started contemplating what to do with the pound-and-a-half of base grain left out of my last 50 lb bag...

Make a batch of starter wort.

IMG_20240310_023029_152.jpg

Got this thing back! When I quit homebrewing a couple years ago I sold most of my stuff to my neighbor who then distributed them to his five brothers, keeping this cooler coil for himself. Said he didn't find it all that useful in his sahti brewings and when he heard I'm getting back in the saddle offered to resell it to me which I of course immediately agreed on! When I asked what do I owe you he just said throw me a sample or two when you get em, which I was gonna do anyway so basically got this back for free :)

View attachment 843707

Got this thing back! When I quit homebrewing a couple years ago I sold most of my stuff to my neighbor who then distributed them to his five brothers, keeping this cooler coil for himself. Said he didn't find it all that useful in his sahti brewings and when he heard I'm getting back in the saddle offered to resell it to me which I of course immediately agreed on! When I asked what do I owe you he just said throw me a sample or two when you get em, which I was gonna do anyway so basically got this back for free :)
Although, after trying both stainless and copper, I think copper is quicker.

It started off relatively simple. I've been thinking I needed to make another blow off jar for awhile now, so I can actually start using the other torpedo keg at some point. Like everything else, that took a little longer than expected. 15 minute job turned into 30, just got distracted with a couple other things.

That was done and then...eh..WTH, I'll just make some cider. I've been sitting on these damn 4G of AJ & 1G of Mango Nectar for what seems like an eternity.

IMG_9593.jpeg

The beer gods must be mad at me. Three breakdowns in one week, two today. One of the brewing water supply pumps kept turning on and off without being controlled in remote. A new switch solved the problem.
The second problem a dead glycol chiller condenser fan.
Now its time to get wasted after a successful repair day.

Attachments

• 20240309_103452.jpg
    20240309_103452.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240309_105759.jpg
    20240309_105759.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240309_080758.jpg
    20240309_080758.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240309_080720.jpg
    20240309_080720.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Pulled my Dirty Pale Ale from the conditioning fridge, it is fully crashed and carbed. Moved it to a kegerator ready to be tapped next week. And began carbonation on my Marzen that has been lagering since late January. Carbonating slowly to be ready to tap St Patty's Day. Checked on a batch of Coffee Liqueur that I made yesterday, it's will be ready by the time I get back from Florida late next week.
What constitutes a Dirty Pale Ale?

Yesterday but it'll do. I finally got my glycol chiller set up-Icemaster 100! Added the pumps and four additional bulkhead barbs on the interior plate (not shown). This unit is a set up slightly different than sold down under and doesn't have a set of ports through the interior plate, so drilling was needed. I also added quick connects to the unitanks' coiling coils. Dry hopped an IPA too.
1000011854.jpg

1000011857.jpg

Finished writing a recipe for a single-hop New England IPA, planned for a local homebrew club in May.

Using my "standard" malt bill for NEIPAs (73% Maris Otter, 10% Wheat, 7% Golden Naked Oats, and 5% each Flaked Oats and Torrified Wheat).
WHC Saturated/Lallemand Koln copitch to maximise biotransformation opportunities.
40 IBU, with 7g/L aroma and 11g/L dry hop of 20% AA LUPOmax BRU-1.
Target 7.2% and an FG of 1.018

I've also got 27L of English IPA to keg up, hopped to 55 IBU (Challenger) with 100g each of Harlequin and some leftover T45 Jester I had kicking around for aroma/dry hop. It was throwing some great apricot/peach out of the airlock earlier tail end of last week.

-EDIT

That's the IPA kegged. Not my finest beer sadly, I think it's over-attenuated slightly which has left it quite dry. It's also exhibiting quite a lot of haze from either the high krausen dry hop or the 5% golden naked oats in the grist. May require a bit of "fixing in post" as it presents more like a Westie.

Last edited:
Brewday!
I am waiting for the milled grain. The grain bill was sent earlier to the grain processing system to supply the grain based on the brewing recipe.

Attachments

• Today 1.jpg
    Today 1.jpg
    771.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Today 2.jpg
    Today 2.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Today 3.jpg
    Today 3.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 0
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-12 at 22.21.53.jpeg

Drove to the city this morning before work to get some supplies, hopefully getting to soak some of these next Friday. Measured the FG on the LME lager taht`s in teh fermenter on top right, says 1.010 when the target is 1.008, keeping an eye on that for a couple days as i kinda need that fermenter for the next batch (or I`ll just go buy another they`re 14eur)

Sniffed my American Amber ale out in the garage. Temps have been hanging out at 66F, with the heating pad/Inkbird controller combo kicking in for a little supplemental heat in the colder nights.

Nice layer of flocc on top with a layer of creamy kreusen on top of that, and this stuff has been bubbling since Saturday afternoon! Longest ferment I've ever had with S-05!

Last edited:
IMG_20240314_223422_554.jpg

racked and botteled the LME lager I had, AFTER discovering the box of bottles I got with the brewmonk had been put away maybe rinsed but NOT properly washed so had to do a quick hot soak, wash drain sanitize drain again dance but all is good now and everything washed and put to dry for the brew day tomorrow night. Still need to measure the grains as I got everything in 1kg bags and some need less than that but that can be done as the strike water heats up tomorrow.

Back