What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided my latest imperial stout (brewed 3 weeks ago, S-04 yeast, OG: 1.101, stuck at 1.033 for 5 days) was a little too sweet. So I took a scoop of US-05 krausen from an actively fermenting pale ale, and added it to the imperial stout. That was around 1am, and 13 hours later, the imperial has already dropped to 1.027, and is still bubbling away!

Not sure if this was a great idea or not, but time will tell!

update: Not quite 3 days later, it's down to 1.023, tasting better (not quite so sweet) but seriously boozy!

Last edited:
Stepped up my wlp023 starter in the morning and took it off the stirplate early evening to finish up. 10mL of beer to 100Bcells and enough to do a small batch of beer.

Also canned 4gal of starter wort. Wash and filled about 48 jars(4oz,8oz,pints and quarts) for 3 batches through the pressure canner. Should be good for starter wort for a while.

I placed my Fermzilla G3.2 in the beer fridge this morning. It fermented for 24 days under 10 psi. It is an experimental APA using 2 row pale and Czech Pilsner malts. Hopped with Nugget for bittering, Columbus for flavor and 5 ozs of Cascade for flavor and aroma.

My first time working with the G3.2. So far the verdict is still out. It is by far the most cumbersome fermenter I have ever worked with. It was difficult to get into the fridge and I had to put it up on blocks in order to close the door. By far more difficult to work with than my CF5, carboys or kegmenters. Yet to see if serving clear well conditioned beer will be achieved in the vessel it was fermented in. I'll let it cold crash a couple of days before taping it and then I'll report back.

Sorry to say but so far I'm less than impressed with the overall experience fermenting in this fermenter. And the fact that it is so cumbersome to handle makes it an inferior fermenter.

IMG_20230814_075716330_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Read up, and watched a couple of videos, on brewing at high (like 25-30psi) pressure. Guy on youtube did a beer on Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat M20 in 2.5 days. I don't really NEED a beer done that fast, but since I have the fermzilla, and grain, and yeast...thinking about it, just for fun. Last pressure fermented beer I did on Novalager is just meh; has no lager characteristics, and a weird aftertaste that I can only describe as dry almost meatiness. It had 2 weeks in the fermzilla too. Current cream ale on 34/70 in the fermzilla is at what I call the 'stinky' phase; during primary it smelled of lovely bread dough, now it smells like co2 mixed with slightly sour beer. Not worried, it always does that during the cleanup thing. Tonight I had planned on vacuum sealing some ice blocks I have in tupperware containers in the freezer, to try using a prechiller for the weekend's brew, but they're not quite there yet. So an evening of browsing HBT is in order.

...Tonight I had planned on vacuum sealing some ice blocks I have in tupperware containers in the freezer, to try using a prechiller for the weekend's brew...
Curious how this works out! I tried freezing a bunch of ziplock bags filled with water, to try cooling my boiling wort a little faster, but the bag didn't survive more than a minute. Luckily I noticed before the whole ice block melted into the wort, and also glad that I started with just the one before dumping many in at once! The beer turned out fine, but haven't been brave enough to try that again!

(The ziplock part held up fine, the bag however melted)

Spent some time putting the pieces of the new keezer together. Long slow process but it’s taking shape. View attachment 827169
Very nice looking! Despite taking time we can see it has paid off. That will look sweet perched on top of your keezer. I love the black taps, looks sharp.

I transferred an APA out of my Fermzilla Gen 3.2 into a corny keg now being carbonated. I am quite frankly disgusted with the Fermzilla. After 24 days of fermentation under 10 psi you would think the beer would be carbonated. But no. It had been cold crashing for 3 days. I admit it looks awesome clear as can be. It taste delicious just what a west coast APA should taste like. But it was flat. Nuf said. I got the Fermzilla to enjoy fermenting and serving from the same vessel. How? How is one to carbonate in a Fermzilla? You can't simply attach a gas line to the floating dip tube and if you were to connect it to a port on the catch jar you will have to reattach said catch jar to the fermenter. But how can you do that without introducing air/O2 into the beer? I must have had a few too many when I thought that thing would do what I wanted it too. Before I put it up for adoption, anyone with experience using a Fermzilla please enlighten me how to carbonate without getting air in it and oxidizing the beer.

IMG_20230817_150453399.jpg

Curious how this works out! I tried freezing a bunch of ziplock bags filled with water, to try cooling my boiling wort a little faster, but the bag didn't survive more than a minute. Luckily I noticed before the whole ice block melted into the wort, and also glad that I started with just the one before dumping many in at once! The beer turned out fine, but haven't been brave enough to try that again!

(The ziplock part held up fine, the bag however melted)
Restaurant supply stores have paddles to put in the freezer to cool soups and stock. Food safe and won’t melt if you follow directions.

I transferred an APA out of my Fermzilla Gen 3.2 into a corny keg now being carbonated. I am quite frankly disgusted with the Fermzilla. After 24 days of fermentation under 10 psi you would think the beer would be carbonated. But no. It had been cold crashing for 3 days. I admit it looks awesome clear as can be. It taste delicious just what a west coast APA should taste like. But it was flat. Nuf said. I got the Fermzilla to enjoy fermenting and serving from the same vessel. How? How is one to carbonate in a Fermzilla? You can't simply attach a gas line to the floating dip tube and if you were to connect it to a port on the catch jar you will have to reattach said catch jar to the fermenter. But how can you do that without introducing air/O2 into the beer? I must have had a few too many when I thought that thing would do what I wanted it too. Before I put it up for adoption, anyone with experience using a Fermzilla please enlighten me how to carbonate without getting air in it and oxidizing the beer.

View attachment 827299
If you left the pressure at 10psi until crashing you only had 1.few volumes of carbonation if you were at ale temps. Cold crashing for a couple days would add a few more tenth, probably need a week plus to get to something like 2.5Volumes. You need to allow pressure to build up close to 30psi at 65F before crashing to get close to 2.5volumes.

edit: seen this Cold Crashing Under Pressure, seem like I got things wrong, never mind what I said. Might be something useful in that thread though.

Last edited:
I placed my Fermzilla G3.2 in the beer fridge this morning. It fermented for 24 days under 10 psi. It is an experimental APA using 2 row pale and Czech Pilsner malts. Hopped with Nugget for bittering, Columbus for flavor and 5 ozs of Cascade for flavor and aroma.

My first time working with the G3.2. So far the verdict is still out. It is by far the most cumbersome fermenter I have ever worked with. It was difficult to get into the fridge and I had to put it up on blocks in order to close the door. By far more difficult to work with than my CF5, carboys or kegmenters. Yet to see if serving clear well conditioned beer will be achieved in the vessel it was fermented in. I'll let it cold crash a couple of days before taping it and then I'll report back.

Sorry to say but so far I'm less than impressed with the overall experience fermenting in this fermenter. And the fact that it is so cumbersome to handle makes it an inferior fermenter.

View attachment 827091
Looks like a beer serving droid in his Excellency's Jaba The Hut grand palace in the Outer Rim 😳

Good ole handcrafted beer. No scientific calculation, no fancy electronic brewing equipment, just good old fashioned brewing knowledge. Probably fresh wheat, noble hops and yeast passed down through generations. Can't speak for the water quality though !
I wonder what this alewife would think about that contraption...
View attachment 827317

I'm gonna try one more gin fermenting in the Fermzilla. To carbonate after cold crashing I will first attach a carb stone on a piece of hose just long enough to hang below the center of the beer. The other end of the hose will attach to a gas port QC on the top of the pressure cap. I will keep positive pressure on it from the minute I put it in the fridge. We'll see how that pans out.

Spent the day making a cherry porter.. after fermentation is complete , I'm dumping 8 lbs of previously frozen cherries into the fermenter with 8 ounces of roasted cocoa nibs. I'll let it sit on them forb4 weeks before botteling.

Attachments

• 20230818_100943.jpg
    20230818_100943.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230818_100959.jpg
    20230818_100959.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230818_111553.jpg
    20230818_111553.jpg
    856.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230818_131614.jpg
    20230818_131614.jpg
    897.3 KB · Views: 0
Spent the day making a cherry porter.. after fermentation is complete , I'm dumping 8 lbs of previously frozen cherries into the fermenter with 8 ounces of roasted cocoa nibs. I'll let it sit on them forb4 weeks before botteling.
That sounds good. I had the pleasure of drinking some vanilla and wild cherry porter a few years back that I think was one of the best porters I have ever had. Good luck

Actually it's what I WAS going to do...knock some ice out of the Igloo beer fridge in the garage. And to my surprise found this home brew Xmas ale hiding in the back. It was either 2 or 3 years ago, an attempt at an Old Fizziweg. Cracked it out of curiosity expecting to probably dump it...SURPRISE !! It's delicious! Darned close to old fez ! Still a good head of foam, all the spices have blended and mellowed with the 2 or 3 year bottle cold condition. Just a nice surprise. Putting me in the mood for fall and winter brewing ! Cheers 🍻

Attachments

• IMG_20230818_205718836.jpg
    IMG_20230818_205718836.jpg
    800.9 KB · Views: 0

View attachment 827299

If you're fermenting at 20c/68f and 10psi, you'll only have 1.3 - 1.4 volumes of co2, which is pretty flat. If you want to carb at fermentation temperature you have to bring the pressure up quite a bit. 28psi will get you ~2.5 volumes.

I'm gonna try one more gin fermenting in the Fermzilla. To carbonate after cold crashing I will first attach a carb stone on a piece of hose just long enough to hang below the center of the beer. The other end of the hose will attach to a gas port QC on the top of the pressure cap. I will keep positive pressure on it from the minute I put it in the fridge. We'll see how that pans out.
The last cream ale I fermented in my all-rounder came out about 3/4 carbonated, with no added co2. It fermented at 10psi, when I was ready to crash I closed the spunding valve completely and the pressure rose up to 12psi, and stayed there during cold crash. I know yours is a lot more complicated than mine, but maybe give this a shot?

Lots of cussing here today. Kegged up the last cream ale on Thursday, using a carb lid and a FDT. Left the filter on the brand spanking new FDT, because reasons. I don't know why, but about every 2nd pour the damn thing is getting stuck above the level of the beer in the keg. I really want this one to pour clear beer, but I'm about to say eff it and install a standard diptube back in the keg. This is the second time this has happened (not counting the time I installed the FDT on the gas post), and I'm getting irritated. Before I rage install the standard diptube I'm going to add a couple of marbles to the filter and see if that helps. Grrrr.

Also *cue shameless pat on the back* my peated Wee Heavy very narrowly won in our club's Iron Brew competition last night. Riding high on that this morning (also hungover, there were some excellent beers last night). Now I have to come up with a recipe using brown sugar or molasses for the next one, this is going to be tricky.

Kegged Origami IPL, cleaned fermzilla,

Also checked Cuckoo Laison for fermentation nothing yet only slightly concerned the packet of Safale BE-134 expired in May (noticed after pitching or would have done a viability test) have another order coming Monday hopefully not needed but backup on the way.

F3CBBE54-A45E-4607-B6F5-A984A8B49FE7.jpeg

E04F861E-2F1A-40B8-8D66-972156F9B5D6.jpeg

Finally got around to fixing up a keezer I bought over a year ago. I don’t have a before picture, but it looks much better.

The little keg is my German Pils and the King Junior has my Oktoberfest that is currently lagering.

Prost!

Back