What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
once again this thread has reminded 'what' i need to do for beer popping up on recents..

when i'm done with eating, gotta get my fermenter kegged for brew day tomorrow...

think of this as a preemptive post :mug: i gotta get the barley sprouts in the oven too, with enough time they're cool enough in the morning to brew with....

eat, DRINK, sleep....drink another day....

What I did for beer today-

Finally got the motivation to detail two forgotten kegs with PBW only to realize that I had detailed one of them several months prior, and the other one had been cleaned out after it had kicked, and looked still had sparkle.

I proceeded to keg my “Full Moon’n” blue moon clone I made for the fiancée into the one that had been detailed a while back. Hydrometer read 1.010 and tasted oh so good. She’ll be reminded of why she puts up with my hobby when it’s good and carbonated.

Question for you folks: the other keg that I rinsed out before storing, do I need to hit it with PBW and scrub the posts/dip tubes after every beer that has gone through it? Or am I good to hit it with some One Step and keg? (I’ve never used star san, always one step, no infections to date with common sense techniques). Feedback is appreciated!

What I did for beer today-

Finally got the motivation to detail two forgotten kegs with PBW only to realize that I had detailed one of them several months prior, and the other one had been cleaned out after it had kicked, and looked still had sparkle.

I proceeded to keg my “Full Moon’n” blue moon clone I made for the fiancée into the one that had been detailed a while back. Hydrometer read 1.010 and tasted oh so good. She’ll be reminded of why she puts up with my hobby when it’s good and carbonated.

Question for you folks: the other keg that I rinsed out before storing, do I need to hit it with PBW and scrub the posts/dip tubes after every beer that has gone through it? Or am I good to hit it with some One Step and keg? (I’ve never used star san, always one step, no infections to date with common sense techniques). Feedback is appreciated!
Unless you’ve got deposits of crud in your keg it will be fine.

Brewed a 10l batch of something dark :)
Kegged 20l light lager and another 20l of my pure Idaho with Idaho7 hops. Made some mods to the aquarium chiller so I can do temp control on two fermenters at once. Planned out a Mexican Lager.
Something Dark
10 liters
2 kg 2 row
500g Munich
250 gr Rye
115 gr chocolate
115 gr roasted barley
115 gr crystal malt 50l
7 gr Saaz @60
14 gr Saaz at 10
24 gr Saaz at flameout
Diamond Lager yeast

A busy day for sure.

Attachments

• 16A62350-60AB-40E5-8EFC-88B9E17FC354.jpeg
    16A62350-60AB-40E5-8EFC-88B9E17FC354.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 9535A614-D129-4363-BB6A-8A74A61EFC7D.jpeg
    9535A614-D129-4363-BB6A-8A74A61EFC7D.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 73278B44-498C-4185-A0B1-C50E0115D2CB.jpeg
    73278B44-498C-4185-A0B1-C50E0115D2CB.jpeg
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 8
1st brewday since Feb 5, making a Maris Otter/CTZ Pale Ale SMaSH. Using the Dip Hop technique instead of a whirlpool, as I really want to know what CTZ tastes like since I have another 6# or so from another brewer :p.
IMG_1984.JPG

Looks like the extra two weeks in the keg adding some extra clarity to the HB Jasmine Rice lager! Too bad it'll all be gone by the time my guests get done with it at Easter.
IMG_1983.JPG

This morning (as in finished about an hour ago) brewed up a Blonde that will ferment on dry Omega Lutra. Just took a peek under the blanket it's wrapped in, and ONE HOUR LATER there are some big yeasty chunks moving around. Pitched at about 85°, expecting good things from this one. Can NOT go wrong with kveik!

Looks like quite a flow from the photo but there’s a tube coming off of the mash tun spigot. There is but a slow but steady stream of sweet maltyness oozing out the end.!

i was looking at the angle of the ball valve...

Attachments

• 1650135132713.png
    1650135132713.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 2
Looks like quite a flow from the photo but there’s a tube coming off of the mash tun spigot. There is but a slow but steady stream of sweet maltyness oozing out the end.!
When I first looked at the picture I did not notice the tubing, just thought it was steady full stream coming out of the mashtun.

On Saturday the wife and her friends smashed through the SMASH and I was left with an empty. We all know that an empty carboy is the devil’s playground so I brewed up a batch of “The Mexican” and got it hooked up to my aquarium chiller.
All went well except I didn’t realize how hard connecting a warm batch to the chilled batch would fluctuate the reservoir water temp. I throttled back the flow into the warm batch and let it get down to temp overnight before pitching the yeast. Looks like I need to do some work on creating two zones or else buy a second chiller. Otherwise it’s working great as long as the two batches need the same fermentation temps. In this case they were brewed within two days of each other and they’re both lager yeast so no big deal this time but.......
So we got a half batch of something dark and a full batch of something light bubbling away. I should probably buy another fermenter jacket and save my Lafuma for another winter of keeping my butt warm vs beer cold.

Happy Easter from over here in China ;)
Something light.
2.5 KG Maris Otter
500g Pills
115 Munich
1kg corn
Mash @ 152 for 60 minutes. 168 for 15. Sparge
.5 oz Azacca at boil
Whirflok yeast nutrient
1oz Motueka hops at 10 mins.
SG 1.062
2 packages of 34/70.

Attachments

• F3446858-F752-4FF0-9691-EDEAB1D6EF1A.jpeg
    F3446858-F752-4FF0-9691-EDEAB1D6EF1A.jpeg
    559.5 KB · Views: 3
  • EF9A53EB-0662-44F5-B91E-5A538C431BF6.jpeg
    EF9A53EB-0662-44F5-B91E-5A538C431BF6.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • B1DBA102-D2C5-49EB-8BA1-87CF84C1F0DE.jpeg
    B1DBA102-D2C5-49EB-8BA1-87CF84C1F0DE.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Checked on the fermentation :thumbsup:, put together two growlers for Easter in the park today, and tied up the hop bines.

The last two days I have been trimming back the grapes to promote better fruiting. All of the books I have on viniculture, and yet, youtube explained what I was supposed to be doing for the last few years, better; and in about an hour, vs. the hours I have spent reading on how to do it right over the last decade.

I am not sure if I am disappointed or happy for the next generation.

well i've noticed a few other maltsters here recently, so maybe this is become more relevant...i just spread out my barley sprouts for what i hope to be brew day, day after tomorrow. work schedule permiting.

1650238048246.png

you can tell from the picture and the contrast between dry and wet spot how effective just a box fan is at drying sprouts. that's only been going for about an hour!

Washed a keg and checked in on the batch I pitched yesterday. Upped the temp from 8c to 16c to get things moving. It’s under 10 psi so all is good.
It’s alive!

Attachments

• D47B4A0F-82F8-4582-B0C9-C3625181CB8A.jpeg
    D47B4A0F-82F8-4582-B0C9-C3625181CB8A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 1541DF9E-FFC3-4B89-B95B-369BFF43AFF6.jpeg
    1541DF9E-FFC3-4B89-B95B-369BFF43AFF6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
well i've noticed a few other maltsters here recently, so maybe this is become more relevant...i just spread out my barley sprouts for what i hope to be brew day, day after tomorrow. work schedule permiting.

View attachment 766355

you can tell from the picture and the contrast between dry and wet spot how effective just a box fan is at drying sprouts. that's only been going for about an hour!
So how many days does it take to go from seeds to malt ready to use?

So how many days does it take to go from seeds to malt ready to use?

it works out good, about as long as the last batch takes to ferment....4-5, i started that thursday after a brew day....drying it today, tomorrow night it goes in the oven overnight....be brewing again while i'm freeing up the fermenter by kegging the last batch....i think it was this thread i just read a horror story about 'buying' beer....i don't want that to happen to ME! :D :mug:

(but i do have some sugar wash at 13%, i could get it done, and instacart to deliever kool-aid mix. before i'm desperate enough to bow to the devil! lol)

I did nothing except come home from work, peek inside my mini fridge to see how my latest NEIPA is doing using verdant IPA yeast (first time using that yeast) only to find its blown off a ton. Im now down almost a full quart due to active blowoff with a 1" blowoff tube. Excited? Sure, this yeast is a beast. Pissed? sure, Im now down a quart! lol. Its only day 2 of fermentation, but gosh golly, this is an ACTIVE yeast.

Close-transferred a Dry Irish Stout from a 6.1gal/23L torpedo fermenter/keg to a standard 5gal/19L corny.

Used a spunding valve to xfer SLOWLY. So slow in fact that I was able to see the beer creep up the gas line (it was plenty long) towards the blow-tie!

There was about 500mL left in the fermenter once the gas post of my serving keg was hit. I pulled another 250mL from the serving keg for a bit more wiggle room and it's now carbonating away at 10psi.

+1 for a mesh screen floating dip tube in the fermenter. Even pulling from the bottom, the dregs weren't super turbid. The slow xfer from the spunding valve helped alot.

It was a tasty sample too, and now there's a whole keg left.

Then I rinsed--PBW'd--rinsed my ferm-keg for a brew tomorrow.

Dry-Hopped the CTZ SMaSH PA on day 3 of active fermentation. Will drop dry hop #2 in a few days.

What a fun experiment, hitting a SMaSH at almost every possible stage with hops: FWH, 60, 15, 0, Dip-Hop 170F, DH Active Fermentation for Bio-Transformation, and Cold Crash DH.

I have so many hops in 1# bags, I am looking forward to doing a tasting series this year with hops I have never actively tasted.

Absolutely, I use Hot PBW (alkaline) first, then after you are done soaking or using a pump to circulate the PBW I use the same temp Hot water to rinse the kegs (and fermenters for that matter). Then after the Hot rinse I usually spray Star San inside the walls of the keg (or fermenter), this is the acid rinse. Then leave the Star San as this will dry (on the keg or fermenter walls) and or collect in the bottom of the keg. You can store it that way until you need the keg for next time. I do sanitize the keg (and fermenter) right before I need to use them again.

Doing this with both Hot PBW and the Hot water rinse will really help to ward off beer stone. You may see a rainbow type of streak marks on your stainless kegs or fermenters. This process will eliminate that. I had spoken to a rep at Five Star a long time ago and this is what they told me to do. It really works. If you have beer stone already you can buy their beer stone remover and use that as well, and then do this regime when you clean and it will keep it at bay. Hope this helps.

John

Thank you very much for taking the time and providing an excellent explanation!

It's also a very timely response because I have been reducing my Star San use in my kegs and fermenters due to the introduction of a bucket washer I built late last year. Beerstone is a constant battle in my kettle, but I've always wondered why I've never had that issue in my kegs and fermenters. Your post clears that up. I've always alternated between Iodophor and Star San in both vessels. It seems the Star San has been keeping my kegs and fermenters free of beerstone without my knowledge.

Based upon your post, it sounds like I can get by with a Ball jar of Star San dedicated to the acid rinse step? Simply dump the jar into the vessel, give it a shake, wait five minutes, give it another shake (just to be certain) then pour the Star San back into the jar for later use?

I can get with that!

Thanks for the big morale boost in the war against beerstone! I'll certainly start deploying Star San on the kettle front.

Thank you very much for taking the time and providing an excellent explanation!

It's also a very timely response because I have been reducing my Star San use in my kegs and fermenters due to the introduction of a bucket washer I built late last year. Beerstone is a constant battle in my kettle, but I've always wondered why I've never had that issue in my kegs and fermenters. Your post clears that up. I've always alternated between Iodophor and Star San in both vessels. It seems the Star San has been keeping my kegs and fermenters free of beerstone without my knowledge.

Based upon your post, it sounds like I can get by with a Ball jar of Star San dedicated to the acid rinse step? Simply dump the jar into the vessel, give it a shake, wait five minutes, give it another shake (just to be certain) then pour the Star San back into the jar for later use?

I can get with that!

Thanks for the big morale boost in the war against beerstone! I'll certainly start deploying Star San on the kettle front.

Your welcome! Glad I could help!

John

You're a braver brewer than I'll ever be! ;)

I tip my hat to you, sir.
Ha, not sure what I'm being brave about, but I'll take the compliment :)
Given that I can't easily maintain mash temps on my system, and I was doing a step mash when it was unseasonably cold, that whole process was an adventure and I had to end up doing an impromptu "no-sparge" batch just to get the main mash temp in the 150's. I think it's time to upgrade...

Back