What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when are we going to finally see this epic creation in action????
😂😂😂 SOON!! I've actually got a Czech Premium I need to keg ( Light Side of the Force ) and was planning to do an Aventinus doppelbock clone which I have all the ingredients for but it will be Jan before that's ready so instead I'm thinking a dark ale I can have ready by the end of the month for some Wolverine football. So I'm hoping to brew this coming weekend.

I tried to post this Sunday.
My new Brew Dog, Jackie G. 7 week old Standard Rat Terrier.
IMG_20210829_120108_4.jpg

Didn't know there was another Leavenworth. The very name is enough to make any service member cringe with visions of busting big rocks into little rocks for 20 years ! 😖😰😖😰😳😳
It's a very touristy little town in Eastern Washington, everything with a Bavarian theme. Even the chain stores have to adhere to the theme (you haven't seen anything funnier than a Bavarian Starbucks or McDonalds). Lots of quaint little kitschy shops, great beer, wine shops, restaurants. All the while walking around you hear the oom-pah-pah of bavarian music. And they have a HUGE Oktoberfest celebration that we're hoping to go to this year now that we have a reliable AWD vehicle.

That said, all my German friends just cringe if anyone mentions Leavenworth WA. Fun fact, it was a dying Washington State lumber town, when the town decided to reinvent itself as a Bavarian village. There is no significant German diaspora but rather desperate marketeers that created this "Bavarian Village" in scenery that reminds someone somewhere of Bavaria.

It's kinda fun once or twice...

😂😂😂 SOON!! I've actually got a Czech Premium I need to keg ( Light Side of the Force ) and was planning to do an Aventinus doppelbock clone which I have all the ingredients for but it will be Jan before that's ready so instead I'm thinking a dark ale I can have ready by the end of the month for some Wolverine football. So I'm hoping to brew this coming weekend.
Let me know how the pils turned out!!

Transferred my 11 5% American strong ale with centennial, El Dorado, and Amarillo lupomax hops into my Puerto Rican rum barrel! I bottled the half gallon that wouldn't fit in the barrel to do a side by side later. Also, poured the once clear rum I had still left in the barrel out for my own consumption! 😎
PXL_20210902_015737166.jpg
PXL_20210902_032310433.jpg

It's a very touristy little town in Eastern Washington, everything with a Bavarian theme. Even the chain stores have to adhere to the theme (you haven't seen anything funnier than a Bavarian Starbucks or McDonalds). Lots of quaint little kitschy shops, great beer, wine shops, restaurants. All the while walking around you hear the oom-pah-pah of bavarian music. And they have a HUGE Oktoberfest celebration that we're hoping to go to this year now that we have a reliable AWD vehicle.
Sounds like Frankenmuth here in Michigan. It's ok, they try so very hard to be authentic Bavarian German but it's just so commercial. Every German I've met here from Germany says the same thing. But good beer and good fried chicken at Zhenders restaurant !!

Finished Phase 1 of making my Flanders Red... did a turbid mash. Now it’s in a fermentor with a neural yeast for a few days then off the yeast into a secondary with the magic bugs and some oak cubes into a closet for a year.

That said, all my German friends just cringe if anyone mentions Leavenworth WA. Fun fact, it was a dying Washington State lumber town, when the town decided to reinvent itself as a Bavarian village. There is no significant German diaspora but rather desperate marketeers that created this "Bavarian Village" in scenery that reminds someone somewhere of Bavaria.

It's kinda fun once or twice...
Yep...like Frankenmuth Michigan. Nice place to visit but it ain't Bavaria! I know cause I was stationed in Bavaria for 2 years!

no wonder. Of course you understand that to a Bavarian beer = bread.

BMW used to be my client in China. EVERYONE in the company were always in for a beer. ;)
Yep. Thus my love of Aventinus doppelbock and anything dark heavy strong and sweet. Till I got stationed in Schweinfurt Germany I was bamboozled , run amok and led astray into believing that Strohs was premium German beer! Oh the ignorance and innocence of youth! I was 19 and a 24 year old Sgt (The Old Man of the squad) took mercy on me and took me under his wing, stripped away the fog of lies and introduced me to Aventinus, Bitburger, Bamburg Schlenkerla rauch bier and Czech lager. It was years before I could even politely accept an American beer at a friend's house. At Ft Hood Texas when I 1st got back from Germany and waiting for my car, I would walk miles to the nearest store that sold Hofbrau !!!

Yep. Thus my love of Aventinus doppelbock and anything dark heavy strong and sweet. Till I got stationed in Schweinfurt Germany I was bamboozled , run amok and led astray into believing that Strohs was premium German beer! Oh the ignorance and innocence of youth! I was 19 and a 24 year old Sgt (The Old Man of the squad) took mercy on me and took me under his wing, stripped away the fog of lies and introduced me to Aventinus, Bitburger, Bamburg Schlenkerla rauch bier and Czech lager. It was years before I could even politely accept an American beer at a friend's house. At Ft Hood Texas when I 1st got back from Germany and waiting for my car, I would walk miles to the nearest store that sold Hofbrau !!!
Aventinus, one of my favorite biers. I brew mostly German bier styles and keep to the Reinheitsgabot as best I can. Best brewer's on earth IMO.
Prost

Made an immersion wort cooler using 50 ft. of 3/8" O.D. copper tubing. Wrapped 15 coils around a plastic fermentation bucket with an O.D. about 10.5". Installed the flare nuts and then flared both tube ends. Tie straps secure the risers for some stability. Fits perfectly in my new Spike 15 Gallon kettle with I.D. of ~15.5". Top of coils at the 6 gallon mark, although it doesn't seem that high in the photo. Coil wraps not too pretty, but hot wort won't really care. My old 25 ft. wort cooler was too small for the Spike kettle.

20210903_232448.jpg

20210903_233943.jpg

Made an immersion wort cooler using 50 ft. of 3/8" O.D. copper tubing. Wrapped 15 coils around a plastic fermentation bucket with an O.D. about 10.5". Installed the flare nuts and then flared both tube ends. Tie straps secure the risers for some stability. Fits perfectly in my new Spike 15 Gallon kettle with I.D. of ~15.5". Top of coils at the 6 gallon mark, although it doesn't seem that high in the photo. Coil wraps not too pretty, but hot wort won't really care. My old 25 ft. wort cooler was too small for the Spike kettle.

View attachment 741319

View attachment 741318
Looks awesome!

Nothing 😒. Was supposed to gather the ingredients for an Irish Red at the LHBS but noooooooo! I gotta go to a surprise birthday party for my 13 year old nephew. Now the LHBS won't be open till Tuesday 😰. And on top of that nephews house is 40 miles away and I'm going to miss the last qtr of my beloved Wolverines...double whammy...heavy sigh 😒

Nothing 😒. Was supposed to gather the ingredients for an Irish Red at the LHBS but noooooooo! I gotta go to a surprise birthday party for my 13 year old nephew. Now the LHBS won't be open till Tuesday 😰. And on top of that nephews house is 40 miles away and I'm going to miss the last qtr of my beloved Wolverines...double whammy...heavy sigh 😒
13 year olds don't want uncles at parties 🙂

Made the trek to Puyallup to get my scoresheets from the Washington State Fair. In an amazing plot twist, the one beer I thought would do the worst got the BEST score of all four entries with a high of 42!!! Managed to scrape three 1sts and one 2nd; in ANOTHER plot twist the 2nd place ribbon was the one I thought would do the best, with the worst score of 33. Shows how much I know about beer! Still super happy about having four more ribbons to add to the wall.

20210904_100153[2].jpg

Made the trek to Puyallup to get my scoresheets from the Washington State Fair. In an amazing plot twist, the one beer I thought would do the worst got the BEST score of all four entries with a high of 42!!! Managed to scrape three 1sts and one 2nd; in ANOTHER plot twist the 2nd place ribbon was the one I thought would do the best, with the worst score of 33. Shows how much I know about beer! Still super happy about having four more ribbons to add to the wall.

View attachment 741350
Congrats Lady Tazz !!!! That's fabulous !!! 👏🎈🎈🎊🎉🎊🎉🎈🎈👏🎇🎆🎇🎆

Research, mostly. Trying to make a gruit/herbal beer. Not as much info as I thought I'd find, especially considering the herbals. Trying to figure out the dosage on mugwort and dried elderberry.

I really wish I had learned about this town back when I was traveling around that state searching for local beers and wines to offer the traveling public on trains. Be assured I found some great ones. And that was back in the 90s. Bet the choices have quadrupled since then.

Back