What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just getting ready to type up a post asking if you were going to do a reiterated mash. Guess that answers my question lol
Hey, it will be ready for Christmas!
Added a pound of rye malt, a pound of carafoam, and a pound of flaked oats. I'll call it kitchen sink barleywine.

Stopped at the LHBS yesterday to pick up some random stuff. Bottle caps so I can play Santa Claus and drop beer off at friend's houses, and DME so I can finally get around to culturing some of the dregs in bottles I have been meaning to get to. Still have 2 beers on deck, when I empty out some fermenters/kegs.

Yesterday kegged my last batch of beer, the hydro sample from one half was good the other tasted like dirt. Took my wlp845 yeast off the stir plate and moved to the fridge to crash.

Today started another starter, this time wlp515 Antwerp ale yeast. Made a few slants from the vial too. Pondering brewing a lager tomorrow and a Belgian pale on Monday or to do a double brew day.

Tried the hydro sample again today and the dirty one tasted fine. The sample was from the bottom of the fermentor and was quite yeasty so I hope that all it was. It was pretty clear today and had a decent amount of yeast on the bottom.

IMG_20200410_221855245_HDR.jpg

I guess you could call that high krausen, about 6" up the blowoff tube. Pitch + 14 hours.

Everybody stand back...it could be a BOMB!

Last edited:
It will be bottled. After conditioning, will store at 50°F in my wine fridge.

Want to share your Belgian pale recipe?
Thanks. Never brewed a beer that big but knew they need some conditioning time and was wonder how you would do it in your area.

I am not quite sure yet on the pale ale yet, but thinking 90% maris otter, 8% caramunich, 2% pale chocolate and hopped to the mid to upper 20 IBUs with northern brewer. I normally use a 80/20 split of pilsner and munich in place of the maris otter and no chocolate malt. I am changing things up as I have a extra maris otter and the chocolate is for color and to see if it will add a slight chocolate flavor I pick up in fat tire.

Added extra sugar solution to my strawberry maple "wine" which started to test my Baker's yeast, and this is a second yeast starter.
20200411_182517.jpg

And bottled the second half of my Brew into 10 1lt bottles because I didn't have enough beer bottles. But after adding priming sugar, agitated the fruit sediment. So one bottle looks like this...
20200411_202513.jpg

Cleaned and sanitized the 2.5 gallon keg. It had a cold mash experiment that went straight from boil to pitching in the keg with a floating dip tube. Got clogged maybe half way thru. Even with a 1012 OG, too much sediment and yeast in the keg.

Dumped about 3 gallons of a Czech 1030 lager, and cleaned that keg. I under did the hops originally, didn't taste the sample before kegging, after kegging tried to "fix" it by adding a potent hop infusion, and it got kinda oxygenated and not enough hops. Did drink about 2 gallons worth but now no mas.

Kegged 5 gallons of a 1032 OG stout.

After propagating Notty and Windsor (separately), I filled 3 autoclaves each for the yeast bank. Also, used the Notty for the stout.

Started to propagate a Kolsch (Dieter) batch for the Piwo Grodziskie.

Just finishing up 3 gallons Piwo Grodziskie. Did the full mash rests and about 30 more minutes of boil.

Also managed to go by my LHBS. They are in a commercial warehouse and categorized as "essential services" (damn straight!) as they are not in a retail space. Practiced proper social distancing but as usual we had a good chat. They have been really busy ever since the Washington State work from home. Have had a lot of folks that haven't brewed for years, dust off the equipment in the garage and are now back at it. Nice spot of normalcy in a covid world.

I've got a mild on deck for tomorrow. Golden Promise and Bairds C160, C50/60 and Chocolate ready to pair with some EKG. Not sure what yeast, but prolly the WLP85 or West Yorkie.

Last edited:
Waiting on the boil for what I'm calling KYG (Keep Yeast Going) IPA, so I don't have to go buy more. Once I'm done I'll get dressed (I brew in my jammies and slippers, don't judge me) and run to my former brew boss' taproom to bring home some grain to mill for him; he's too busy with renovation projects to get out here. I get a few pounds of each grain (white wheat and roasted barley) as payment, and get to hang with him for a while. His taproom is closed right now of course, and we haven't had a chance to catch up in a while.

Put the NZ Hop PA into a keg to finish out and carb up, harvested the yeast for the next brew day. Bottled the remainder of the keg of pear cider and already traded a 6pack with a coworker for some fresh bread. Bought some organic honey on sale, almost to a 5G batch of mead. Pulled out a binder and a hole punch-my little pocket folders are no longer going to be adequate to hold all of my fermentation recipes and notes.

Pitched the Kolsch yeast into the Piwo Grodziskie, and it has started bubbling this evening. Also pitched WLP085 into a mild test of Bairds crystal and chocolate.

5 gallons of a 1030 dry stout spunding in the keg. While I was hoping it hadn't finished, the reality is it had probably reached terminal gravity and isn't carbonating.

Gotta look thru my keeper recipe list to fill up the 30 liter Speidel. Maybe an AK bitter like this wonderful beauty: https://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/search?q=1930+AK+bitter

588C8E0F-FD4E-4E53-A5FD-030AF166778D.jpeg

Bottle primed my non-chewed blue corn and guava beverage it is rather murky, but that is how chicha is. Hubby liked the aroma and hated the flavor. There’s tartness from the fruit and something imparting some bitterness too. I whirlpooled some azacca. Anyway, it was something to do.

Added extra sugar solution to my strawberry maple "wine" which started to test my Baker's yeast, and this is a second yeast starter.
View attachment 675282
And bottled the second half of my Brew into 10 1lt bottles because I didn't have enough beer bottles. But after adding priming sugar, agitated the fruit sediment. So one bottle looks like this...View attachment 675283

is that a homegrown cigar? the filler looks light.....

No. Just doubled up paper towel to keep debris from finding its way in to my starter. From that angle it looks like a cigarette it cigar, heh.

And last night, for beer, I bought 6lb Pilsen LME and 3lb Newport hops pellets!

Back