What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you saying I’m a little CDO? (Like OCD, except in alphabetical order, the way it should be)
View attachment 649088
No, just wouldn't want that sucker slowly rolling down the driveway, as you pull a pint, it then hits a crack in the pavement, turns ass end forward than tips over, as the nosey lady walking her dog watches the HLT take out Fifi.

It's just thinking practical... And a little CDO.

If I buy a 12-pack I have drink mine left to right as they come out of the 12er or I'm all messed to limit per hour. [emoji43]

No, just wouldn't want that sucker slowly rolling down the driveway, as you pull a pint, it then hits a crack in the pavement, turns ass end forward than tips over, as the nosey lady walking her dog watches the HLT take out Fifi.

It's just thinking practical... And a little CDO.

If I buy a 12-pack I have drink mine left to right as they come out of the 12er or I'm all messed to limit per hour. [emoji43]

Fifi is safe, or more importantly, the to-be-beer is safe. The nosey neighbor....... we’ll see.....
69A57D1B-DB32-46FE-9F02-067B209AFEC4.jpeg

Drilled a hole for an airlock in the lid of a 1 gallon glass jar and whipped up a 20-minute extract batch to take it for a spin. 10 IBUs of Magnum and some original Hornindal to really get a feel for what flavors this culture can put out at 90°F.

Good luck and keep us posted on the results! Cheers bud!
Thanks man, will do! Submitted a porter, Belgian strong dark ale, & doppelbock. The porter is a very tried a true recipe, the Belgian is my first crack at the style, and the doppelbock is my 2nd try at the style and I think I did pretty well.

As for the what I did today: brewed a sahti, and cleaned and replaced the gaskets on 2 of the kegs that were given to me.

Awesome man, congrats!! I'm part of brewers anonymous and we were actually surprised we got 1st. We've been in 5th for a while!!
Attended the Best Florida Beer competition in Tampa, Florida. This is the final judging in the Florida circuit. The Miami Area Society of Homebrewers received 12 medals, which put us in 3rd place overall. Not bad as we are a small club competing against much larger clubs.
View attachment 649111

Attended the Best Florida Beer competition in Tampa, Florida. This is the final judging in the Florida circuit. The Miami Area Society of Homebrewers received 12 medals, which put us in 3rd place overall. Not bad as we are a small club competing against much larger clubs.
View attachment 649111
Cheers!!!!

Have you filled it and drank out of it yet?

I would....

How traditional did you go with your sahti? I love the style right up to the point its not carbonated. My brain can't seem to handle it!
Heh, how very odd to spot a Finnish word here (though there are a few other finns here) Proper sahti swoops the legs from under you real quick, you've already downed a couple pints of it until it dawns on you it's usually well over 10%. Gives you a cosmic hangover with the most vile smelling gas too :D I've been toying with the idea of brewing a beer of some sort from sahti malts, you can get a bag from the local grocery store here though don't necessarily want 20kg of the stuff before making a test batch first. They also sell ready made unfermented wort in many places here too you just gotta plop a dollop of yeast in and wait a while, that way it's not considered selling an alcoholic drink.

How traditional did you go with your sahti? I love the style right up to the point its not carbonated. My brain can't seem to handle it!
More than in the past, but still not what I would call fully traditional. Did a multi-step mash, no boil (did steep hops for a bit). I plan to minimally carbonate it. Also used way more juniper than any recipe I saw since I love the flavor (and yet it was still less than I've done in the past, lol).

@BikerMatt

Pre made wort in the grocery store?! What a concept! One up on a can of extract for sure!

I worked for Nokia back in there hay days in the late 90’s. Sahti was actually my first home brew I ever tried. That 10%+ was appreciated while cooling off on a snow bank after a long sauna.
I thoroughly enjoyed visiting your country and partaking in it’s traditions!

Last edited:
@BikerMatt

Pre made wort in the grocery store?! What a concept! One up on a can of extract for sure!

I worked for Nokia back in there hay days in the late 90’s. Sahti was actually my first home brew I ever tried. That 10%+ was appreciated while cooling off on a snow bank after a long sauna.
I thoroughly enjoyed visiting your country and partaking in it’s traditions!

Glad you liked it, hope they introduced you to the wonders of salmiakki and koskenkorva too, preferrably at the same time :D

Yea ready sahti wort is definitely a thing although mostly only found in rural areas but for example the small village store on my mail route sells frozen sahtivierre.

yesterday:

Seen I had a starter of WLP022 sitting around for almost a months so I brewed up a 3gal batches of bitters. The starter was for 5gals so I figured it should still be good for 3gals. Bad news I pitched the starter of wlp076 I had in the fridge too. That is what I get for not putting a label on it.

Todays:

The bitters was cranking away this morning sort of expected a mess in the airlock but all is well so far.

Brewed a beer for the WLP076 starter I no long have. Going to use some WLP075 slurry I have, it is just off by one should not be a big deal. Was not sure about which hops to add and found a lost package of centennial between the fridge and lager cooler. Not sure when I dropped them there but I used them anyways. Still smelled good in the kettle.

After a long day at both jobs finally tapped the Strata SMaSH I brewed two weeks ago. Haven't done a smash in a while, and quite happy with this one, although very confused at how light it turned out, looks almost like a pilsner. Great hop flavor and nose, and the bitterness is very subtle. And doesn't taste like the 6.6%ABV it hit.

Now I'm afraid to open my keezer! Thanks for the info. Never considered that about the tank being on it's side. I did plan on routing the gas line outside the keezer and keeping the tank outside. that was going to be a next step, then faucets.. I believe I may bump the timing of that step up a bit!

I have been having problems with my stirplate for the last four batches. I tried everything I could think of but it kept throwing the stir bar. I even raised the magnets up closer to the bottom of the flask. Then today I used plain water so I could see what the heck was happening and to my surprise the stir bar would not center on the magnets. I got a new bar and it centered right up. The only thing I can think of is I always boil the bar and it seems it has changed the magnetic field or the bar has demagnetized due to the neodymium magnets. From now on I will use StarSan. Does anyone have any expertise in this field?

Became a plumber for the evening last night. Rigged up my RIMS/HERMS and the pumps. Did a leak test and ran it through a heating cycle.

It took 70F water in my MLT up to 120F in 15 minutes. Doing so dropped the HLT from 190F to 160F just as fast.

I need to figure out the proper flow rates on both pumps. Seems like slow is better there appears to be less bubbles when going slow and easy.

Left side is Wort HERMS
Right side is the Hot Liquor Recirculation.

Hoses might be too long. I need to figure out the best place where my pumps should be as this is non-standard stove top brewing. The pumps have 15A extension cord connected to GFI outlet in my bathroom. I stand a better chance of not doing the Polka if something springs a leak!!!

IMG_20191024_202100.jpeg
IMG_20191024_202104.jpeg
IMG_20191024_225119.jpeg
IMG_20191024_222803.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been having problems with my stirplate for the last four batches. I tried everything I could think of but it kept throwing the stir bar. I even raised the magnets up closer to the bottom of the flask. Then today I used plain water so I could see what the heck was happening and to my surprise the stir bar would not center on the magnets. I got a new bar and it centered right up. The only thing I can think of is I always boil the bar and it seems it has changed the magnetic field or the bar has demagnetized due to the neodymium magnets. From now on I will use StarSan. Does anyone have any expertise in this field?
I don't have expertise in this... I've had the same problem. If I turn mine up to full speed it doesn't throw my stir bar. I think the fluid level is a factor too. Small volume seems to be detrimental to it staying in the center spinning. The fuller it is to a point seems better. Roughly half full on my ehrlinmeyer flask.

Found this....

Stirring

If stirring stops during a reaction, all bets are off. It is very important to stir continuously throughout an experiment. If your reaction is heterogeneous, it must be stirred very vigorously to ensure efficient mixing.

If you experience problems stirring, here are some things to try:

Move the bottom of the flask closer to the stir plate.

Use a bigger stir bar.

Use a larger or more powerful stir plate (not all plates are created equal).

If your stir bar gets stuck somehow, pick up the flask and swirl it until the bar is free, or pry it free with a pipette or spatula. These kinds of reactions require constant surveillance. If you are having this kind of problem, you might want to consider using a mechanical stirring apparatus.

If your reaction is very large, a stir bar may not mix it efficiently. It might work better if you used a mechanical stirring apparatus.

Stir Bars

Cylindrical:Long and thin bars that are excellent for Erlenmeyer flasks, but may spin irregularly in a round-bottom. The short cylindrical bars sometimes fit in a round-bottom and spin fine.

Football: Bars shaped to fit in a round-bottom flask. Normally available for 25 mL flasks and larger.

Fleas: Very tiny cylindrical bars good for 10 mL or smaller flasks, vials or test tubes.

Overhead Stirring

When a stirbar simply does not do the job, mechanical stirring is necessary. An overhead stirring apparatus is typically employed. Situations when overhead stirring may be required: high viscosity solutions, large scale reactions, or in heterogeneous reactions when a stirbar becomes mired in gunky, gooey, or otherwise insoluble material.

[emoji2398]2019 Alison Frontier, University of Rochester. Supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation. NSF Funding {+} Safety Disclaimer {+}

http://chem.chem.rochester.edu/~nvd/pages/tips.php?page=stirring

If the bottom is not very flat and has a bump then it can be hard to keep the stirbar in place. Just need to move the vessel until the stirbar stays put.

Sometime I will put a thin piece of cardboard or two between the stirplate and the vessel to get things to work.

For me when I have the vortex too deep I have a hard time keeping the bar in place so I usually only have a small vortex.

edit: Just stepped up a small starter 100mL, the thing with the cardboard board is it is needed to get the fan to spin. Seems certain spin bars cause the fan not to spin at lower voltage and increasing the distance allows using lower voltage to the fan. It will spin with a higher voltage but immediately throw the bar.

Last edited:
Nice sight glass!
Became a plumber for the evening last night. Rigged up my RIMS/HERMS and the pumps. Did a leak test and ran it through a heating cycle.

It took 70F water in my MLT up to 120F in 15 minutes. Doing so dropped the HLT from 190F to 160F just as fast.

I need to figure out the proper flow rates on both pumps. Seems like slow is better there appears to be less bubbles when going slow and easy.

Left side is Wort HERMS
Right side is the Hot Liquor Recirculation.

Hoses might be too long. I need to figure out the best place where my pumps should be as this is non-standard stove top brewing. The pumps have 15A extension cord connected to GFI outlet in my bathroom. I stand a better chance of not doing the Polka of something springs a leak!!!

View attachment 649682View attachment 649683View attachment 649684View attachment 649685

Ferment chambers all filled and well under way so nothing to do but make sure they are still holding CO2.

Started bringing a slant of Wyeast 3655 Belgian Schelde ale yeast back to life a couple days ago, it hit high krausen today so I made new slants and stepped up to 100mL.

Ordered more vials to make more slants. Stuffed a few pounds of 2019 hops into the freezer.

Back