What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed yesterday, today I am going to make a starter for an all Brett (Funk Weapon 2 by Bootleg) fruit beer being brewed on Sunday. Will hit up a buddy and end up hopefully putting a puree of blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries in it. Moar Brett, more more more.

Upon returning from biz trip I see some hop bines down and I see this, cut out what I could. Damn, I was making plans for those wet hop brews.

Attachments

• IMG_5312.JPG
    IMG_5312.JPG
    576.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5313.JPG
    IMG_5313.JPG
    372.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Yesterday I picked up some Mecca Grade malts to brew a kolsch, hoping to take it to the next level.

This morning I discovered my starter of 2565 had thrown the stir bar and the krausen had pushed the foam stopper out and volcano'd all over the stir plate. A fun thing to find when I'm going out the door to a dentist appointment! I wish I'd thought to take a picture.

Bottled a case of IPA. My first attempt at one, and I'm very pleased with the results. If the flavors hold up, it might make the regular cycle.
Also bottled a gallon of apple/cherry cider.

Used my siphonless fermonster for the first time on a bottling day. All of my fermenters need spigots omg. Also used a few spare swing top bottles for the cider that was originally bought for kombucha. I need more swing tops too. Convenience is the best.

Dryhopped my latest IPA. Counting the dryhopping it's about 50/50 sabro/mosaic, but there was far more mosaic in the kettle, and more sabro in the dryhop.

If they don’t want it, I’d be happy to drink a few pints based on that description!
Sipping on the first (very cloudy) pint right now. Deliciously juicy, just enough bitterness, and apparently I have inadvertently created my very first hazy IPA. Second keg will be clearer as I rushed this one a bit too fast because reasons (I wanted to drink it). Also discovered the kegerator thermostat was set too low, first few pours were nothing but foam but it's settling now. Will post a pic later once I can pour one without green floaties in it. Gonna be picking those out of my teeth tonight.

Upon returning from biz trip I see some hop bines down and I see this, cut out what I could. Damn, I was making plans for those wet hop brews.

Are those bag worms? Damn, that must have been a heck of a trip! Surely that took a while to build that much.
You have any trout streams near you? Rainbows love them some bag worms! That’s the lemons into lemonade view of course. Still sorry for the damage to your hops.

Are those bag worms? Damn, that must have been a heck of a trip! Surely that took a while to build that much.
You have any trout streams near you? Rainbows love them some bag worms! That’s the lemons into lemonade view of course. Still sorry for the damage to your hops.
Oh I have seen my share of those dang ugly things, they stripped the front of a shrub last year. These are not those. :no: Some kind of tent caterpillar light in color so not gypsy moth. And yes, this was not obvious on my hops before the 4 days away.

Never heard of Northern Discovery hops before, what do you think of them?
For this small batch I added them with 15mins left to the boil. To really tell you about them I’d have to do a smash... with that said I have been told this beer smells like cat pee, but the taste is not very dank or much like pee. :rolleyes:

For this small batch I added them with 15mins left to the boil. To really tell you about them I’d have to do a smash... with that said I have been told this beer smells like cat pee, but the taste is not very dank or much like pee. :rolleyes:

I did not see cat pee on the growers web page, but I guess you might not want to tell anyone unless they ask. I think I will order some anyways as it seem a bit unique.

I don't think I have ever got cat pee from a beer, but I crushed some old crusty brown overlooked chinook hops from the backyard and they for sure smelled of cat pee.

I did not see cat pee on the growers web page, but I guess you might not want to tell anyone unless they ask. I think I will order some anyways as it seem a bit unique.

I don't think I have ever got cat pee from a beer, but I crushed some old crusty brown overlooked chinook hops from the backyard and they for sure smelled of cat pee.
For me I didn’t smell that at all until one person was put off by it then I thought it was faint, could be how it played with the spruce.

Ran out to LHBS to get another co2 fitting because I cannot find the one I took off to get the bottle filler going. Taking a keg of the IPA I did two weeks ago to FF Draft tomorrow, secretly hoping the guys don't drink it all so I can bring it home, although that will hurt my pride just a tad. This one is the best I've done in a couple years; juicy beyond belief, hazy (unintended, still haven't figured out why), and perfectly carbed. If they don't like it I don't care, more for me!

Milled the grain for tomorrow's WF lager brewday, and got everything set up to take the keg to FF Draft later. Pouring a bit too much foam but should settle.

I brewed an APA last weekend and the yeast WL 090 never really took off and the fermentation significantly slowed down after 3-4 days so I am currently having a heart to heart talk with my yeast through the walls of my fermenter. Even though I added 6 packs, they said something about high temps during their travels this summer. [emoji33]
Fg measurement is off and I’m looking for something/ someone to point the finger at. Better have another cold one to figure this out. [emoji482]

Up at the crack of stupid to get going on another batch of WF House Lager. Tempted to push this one even faster than the last one, which turned out terrific, but haven't decided yet. Mash has about 30 minutes left to go.

AFter getting my fair share of the White Labs yeast vault purge, I bottled a split English porter with WLP017 Whitbread and WLP026. The brown malt with the Whitbread works, and not so much with the WLP026.

Also bottled a Kolsch with WLP011 European Ale yeast. I also made a cyser with it because I thought the WLP011 was the lowest attenuating ale yeast out there. This was based on a brewing calculator memory from years ago when I discovered yeast selection really matters for session beers. You want a session beer, pick a low attenuating yeast. After I finally got the WLP011 in, I discovered 02 attenuates even less. Go figure. anyhoo, a yeast to play with.

And I brewed a Dry Irish Stout following John Palmer's guidelines and added a pound of oats to thicken it it. Will pitch that in a few minutes using the Beast Yeast (random mix of multiple generations of 02,notty, pub, windsor, adnan's, burton, irish, w yorkie, whitbread, WLP026, WLP085)

Posting a lot today. Once the WF lager was buttoned up finally kegged the cherry/apple cider I made last month; tastes great straight out of the fermenter, but backsweetened it with some sugar solution for family members (read: husband) who don't care for dry anything. Not super dry, but a great tartness from the cherry juice and a nice backbone from the apple juice. Next one will leave out the dextrose and see where it gets us.

. Will pitch that in a few minutes using the Beast Yeast (random mix of multiple generations of 02,notty, pub, windsor, adnan's, burton, irish, w yorkie, whitbread, WLP026, WLP085)

Damn! That’s a heck of a collection! If you’re a Star Trek fan, you could call it Borg yeast. Any new yeast used will be assimilated and become part of the collective!
:cask:

Brewed! 2.5G of a bitter, with some heavy handed use of EKG throughout. In my extreme lack of checking things beforehand, I thought I had a jar of 002 slurry hanging out in the fridge. Turns out it was actually 029 slurry. So, this could be an interesting result. I feel like it'll drink just fine though.

And for non-beer related: Bottled a gallon of kombucha. Couple bottles plain, one cherry, one apple cinnamon, and one cucumber lime.

my favorite work drink! i used to brew ten gallon batches...bring a half gallon to work with me!

Ten gallons is nuts! A gallon will last me at least 2-3 weeks. I've only recently started drinking it. My wife talked me into trying it since we have an unholy amount of tea in this house. She has always been a big fan but we figured I would hate it. It is now one of my morning staples. A smallish (which seems to get bigger...) glass right when I wake up, before/with breakfast and coffee.

I brewed a non-Belgian witbier. If that's not a thing, it is now! I don't like Belgian yeast character, but love everything that goes into a witbier so I pitched WY2565 because I'm obsessed with it.

First time brewing with: Hallertauer, grains of paradise, fresh orange peel, chamomile, ginormous % of raw wheat.

damn, i'm sweating...it's 90f inside, and i haven't even finished sparging, and started the boil, on the stove! lol, who was that floridian that was complaining about 113f outside in phoenix...i'm betting it'll get to be 95f indoors, when i put the spurs to the boil....:D (the joys of brewing 10 gal batches, indoors, in 100f heat, inside AND out)

Back