What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1614.JPG

I picked 1 cubic foot of Columbus hops today.
Since it’s almost 100 degrees f I thought it would be best to have a few IPA’s first, then jump into the swimming pool to cool off, put on flip flops, climb the extension ladder and start picking until
I dried off then repeated the process.
IMG_1612.JPG
IMG_1614.JPG

Went looking on Amazon Prime Day sales to find a PS4 for my kid and found a deal on a 10” x 4” hop spider. It was only $4.80 off, but worth the impulse buy.

It will be a nice surprise for her when she gets back from science camp.

Last edited:
I bottled my apricot wheat beer. Tastes great, if a little sweet. The wife will be pleased.

Sampled my kolsch still in primary. Has a little bit of yeast bite because 2565 is so powdery but will be fantastic with a couple weeks lagering in the fridge. Tastes very "classic" and it's much different from all of the citrusy wheat beers I've been doing lately. I am pleased.

Went looking on Amazon Prime Day sales to find a PS4 for my kid and found a deal on a 10” x 4” hop spider. It was only $4.80 off, but worth the impulse buy.

It will be a nice surprise for her when she gets back from science camp.
The hop spider?? :D

Fermenter finally warmed up to room temp of 72°, took 5 days! Day 6 of diacytle rest, it's off to the basement and cool brewing bag again, stuffed full of frozen 2 liter bottles for a week to cold crash for bottling..back and forth is a pain in the nether world's! Come on Kegland Kegerator I'm dreaming of you...HEAVY sigh
Message_1561509834629-1.jpeg

I finished converting my old double immersion chiller (one intended for an ice bath) to two separate units, one with compact coils that will be more efficient in cooling small batches than the other unit, which is taller and more effective with 5-gallon batches.

Ordered an Igloo 120 quart cooler, a bayonet filter, a roll of stainless filter screen, some stainless ball valves, and associated stainless nipples and nuts. New bigger mash tun will happen! That was it for Monday. Today, went down to the LHBS, picked up 25 lbs of Maris Otter, yeast and hops for my next batch of barleywine.

Last edited:
I finished converting my old double immersion chiller (one intended for an ice bath) to two separate units, one with compact coils that will be more efficient in cooling small batches than the other unit, which is taller and more effective with 5-gallon batches.

Being a noob brewer-one year of solid brewing experience, I don’t understand this. Are there visuals? Cooling faster than the 15-20 minutes I do now is on my ToDoList.

Tested & tasted both lagers in the ferment fridge, that have been on a 66° d-rest for the last few days. Managed to scrape 4-5 points from each, and now they crash until tomorrow when they'll get their gelatin doses with an eye to kegging this weekend. First time using gelatin in primary; Brulosophy's article on it was super informative and can't wait to try it. Oh, and drinking before making dinner.

Contractor called and said they are building the driveway tomorrow-not in August. Dug up and moved my Cascade, Eroica, and Centennial hops. Not sure if they are going to survive the move, as I planned it for a month from now when they would have a lot more going for them. Oh well.

On the plus side, the cat box that we call a dust bowl/parking space will be less attractive to the neighborhood animals.

Just added the gelatin to both lager fermenters, and now we wait. Hoping to brew this weekend, and can't unless these are ready to keg; I can hear the grain in the bins chanting 'use us, use us, we want to be beer'....or that might be the beer in my glass talking.

Opened the ferment fridge about 20 times to gloat and giggle over the lagers currently clearing like no-mans-bidness. And this late at night, sipping on some Mosaic IPA that wasn't great 14 days in, but now over a month old is tasting pretty darn good. Had planned on brewing tomorrow but totally forgot that we signed up to bowl a charity tournament for an old family friend, so now have to do it Sunday. Have to...that's funny right there, that is. NEED to, now there's some truth in there.

Dry hopped a Falconers Flight Pale and increased fermenter temp up to 70F. Also attached Mylar balloon for cold crash.

Using Wyeast 1332 and had going for 16 days at 62F and still had some Krausen bit at 1.012. Sample was pretty good, very balanced.

Kegged up a kettle-soured Florida-Weisse and a SMaSH Pale Ale; brewed a 1.073 OG Brown Ale and racked it onto the SMaSH yeast cake, and the airlock is already singing along!

Last edited:
Back