What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought most of the ingredients for the Sawyer (an imperial whiskey stout loosely based on a KBS clone recipe). Bought my husband the ingredients for his next beer as part of his father's day present, which he will brew Sunday.

Figured out a solution to my problem of not knowing how to fit in brewing the Sawyer Saturday while I still have the Juliet in my primary and the Black Rock in my only keg (drink more BR and bottle the rest, then move the Juliet to the keg).

Made labels for the Juliet, the Sawyer, the Kate, and the Desmond. Yes, all my beers are LOST related. It's my favorite show, and my husband bought me a Dharma beer tap handle.

All in all, a pretty productive beer day!

What I did for beer....carried this nice box of goods into the house and found room n the beer fridge. Next up, test my 2.5gal batch recipes.
20190612_104349.jpeg

Bought most of the ingredients for the Sawyer (an imperial whiskey stout loosely based on a KBS clone recipe). Bought my husband the ingredients for his next beer as part of his father's day present, which he will brew Sunday.

Figured out a solution to my problem of not knowing how to fit in brewing the Sawyer Saturday while I still have the Juliet in my primary and the Black Rock in my only keg (drink more BR and bottle the rest, then move the Juliet to the keg).

Made labels for the Juliet, the Sawyer, the Kate, and the Desmond. Yes, all my beers are LOST related. It's my favorite show, and my husband bought me a Dharma beer tap handle.

All in all, a pretty productive beer day!
So both you AND you husband brew AND like really good beer?? Jelly! [emoji20]

I updated the spreadsheet that contains my equipment inventory. Not exciting, but over the last month or so as I ventured beyond cider and into beer and wine, I've been buying lots of stuff. Haha

After work will bottle a small batch of Tepache, first of the summer. And then see what I plan on making the next 1 gallon experimental project.

don't tell me you post in that silly '1-gal brewers UNITE' thread...lol, i'd just pour it off the trub, and use the cake for a 'real' batch! :D

and for beer today i'm relaxing, going to kiln malt tomorrow, after work, for a brew on friday.....(i'm proud i got 4 full kegs of cider now, 10 gals of beer fermenting waiting to go into the other two!)

don't tell me you post in that silly '1-gal brewers UNITE' thread...lol, i'd just pour it off the trub, and use the cake for a 'real' batch! :D

Hahaha no my 1 gallon things are usually dissolve X sugar in water, add Y, leave somewhere for a bit, return later and drink.

When I fire up the brew equipment it is to make a real 5 gallon batch.

Kicked the Black Rock. Kegged the Juliet (mango blonde). Brewed the Sawyer (imperial stout). A long but productive day. And we are brewing my husband's father's day beer tomorrow!

Just tapped the Mosaic Pils that got kegged yesterday. Had it on 30psi, pulled the PRV a few times yesterday and today, and today it is almost perfectly carbed. Second attempt at this recipe, and it is definitely now on the List of Beers We Need To Brew More Often. Great nose, flavor, and a tiny bit of lager 'bite' (fermented on S23, cold) that gives it a great character. At just 5.75%ABV, also will be an easy drinker that we can have a few of without getting stupid. Mosaic is my absolute favorite hop; it bitters well, and throws a complex flavor/aroma depending on late additions and dry hop.

F87E40EA-75FE-4418-8D6F-4547D7284807.jpeg
Brewed imperial stout yesterday, and have two smaller batches from partigyle.
Cold crashing yeast starter to pitch later. First time using Omega, had gotten some packages in the mail at sale prices the one I’m using today was blown up like a working smack pack. Between that and having high gravity I wanted to make a starter. In just a couple hours this yeast was producing co2. (British ale 5)
Cleaning.

Yesterday, brewed up a red rye IPA. Something finally clicked in streamlining my process, so it should have been about 5, 5 1/2 hours total brewday. But, I ran out of propane while the strike water was heating and so it ended up being a full 6 with the run for more propane.

The beer should end up about 1% more alcohol than planned because of the longer mash (I assume). About midnight, my blow off tube needed a blow off tube, so a little clean up on the bathroom floor this morning. Oh well, it’ll be beer.

Not sure yet - first time giving it a shot. I BIAB. I wrapped the beer up in a 0° sleeping bag. It sat for about 4.5 hours. Strike temp was 159°. When I unwrapped the pot, it was at 140°. I'm making a simple blonde (two-row and a small amount of crystal 10, plus one hop addition), so anything that goes wrong should be pretty noticeable. Estimated OG was 1.051. Actual was 1.057.

I'm trying this out, because with a two year old, a 5 hour brew day can be difficult. I put the pot on to boil at 8 am, and was done cleaning by 11 am. Only difference I noticed so far was that it seemed more cloudy than usual, but I'm hoping it settles out.
Update - I have observed a noticeable difference when I do my overnight mash. The blonde's estimated OG was 1.051. Actual was 1.057. Estimated FG 1.013. Actual FG corrected for alcohol was 1.008. This took my estimated 5% blonde up to 6.2%. We kegged it yesterday, so the real test will be in about 10 days.

I brewed an imperial stout Saturday, using the overnight mash again. Estimated OG 1.091. Actual 1.101. Estimated abv is 9%, minus the bourbon that will be added from soaking the oak chips. We'll see how it finishes.

Finally bottled my first sour. 5 1/2 months aging a pale wheat beer using Kolsch to primary ferment and the wild yeasts from the pureed Muscat grapes I grow here in Torrance, CA for souring. Very tart, cider/white wine and mild Brett.

It was supposed to be a Berliner Weiss, but sometimes, beer has a mind of its own and so adding my sour culture finally gave it the tart it was supposed to have (with the added benefit of complex Brett flavors).
IMG_5963.JPG

I will be using some of the dregs to ferment a Flanders Red sometime this week.

Ordered a blichmann Brewcommander to control my propane (soon to be natural gas!) 3 vessel herms system. Man I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on this. I've been piecing together a pid based standing pilot gas controller for a while (I actually have the parts but haven't had the time to assemble and fiddle with it), but even that wouldn't have all the features that the blichmann unit comes with.

I only wish it had temperature logging

Kegged my halo halo milkshake IPA and put it on gas. Put all the ingredients used in the Filipino dessert halo halo with lactose and vanilla beans. It's for my club contest on Friday. Fruit flavors all came through and has a creamy mouthfeel. Hit 8%. Goal was 6.5. First attempt at this style but I think its going to be really good!

Kegged my halo halo milkshake IPA and put it on gas. Put all the ingredients used in the Filipino dessert halo halo with lactose and vanilla beans. It's for my club contest on Friday. Fruit flavors all came through and has a creamy mouthfeel. Hit 8%. Goal was 6.5. First attempt at this style but I think its going to be really good!

If you want a NY’er opinion on it, message me and I’ll try a bottle or two for honest feedback. [emoji6]
Sounds good! Keep us posted on how the contest goes!

Trimmed hops.

Brewing my IPA as an all grain for the first time. It may end up as a DIPA, depends on efficiency. It’ll have summit to bitter and mosaic/citra for flavor and aroma at 15, WP, and DH. Should be fermented and carbed by July 4th!

EDIT: it turned out to be DIPA. I mashed for 90 minutes and got great efficiency. It was even 1/2 gallon more beer than I thought I was going to get.

Last edited:
Trimmed hops.

Brewing my IPA as an all grain for the first time. It may end up as a DIPA, depends on efficiency. It’ll have summit to bitter and mosaic/citra for flavor and aroma at 15, WP, and DH. Should be fermented and carbed by July 4th!
Looks like I need to work on my hops too. Need to reroute some bines.

Planned to keg my American strong last night, but surprise nap put the kibosh on it. At least got to taste it, and will get it kegged up tonight, and should have enough to bottle off a few for competitions.

Put compost on the entire yard, especially the hops. Some are up to 1’ of growth per day.

Edit: dry hopped the DIPA. Citra and Mosaic. Smells reeeaal nice.

Checked FG on my red rye. 1.010, ready to bottle at 7.9% alcohol. I am going to need to lower the grain bill on my recipes if I keep getting 75+% efficiency!

Last edited:
Kegged my Hoegaarden last night. Cleaned the kegerator and lines. Shed a tear as I dumped the last litre of choc milk stout that I just wasn’t ever going to get through.

Made 4 gallons of flanders red and added 1/2 gallon of house sour culture made from my homegrown Muscat grapes. Krausen in 4 hours.

A buddy decided he wasn’t going to move with the equipment I gave him last year to start him in homebrewing; he hadn’t used it and didn’t think he was going to. So he returned the equipment and I sent him off to his new town with a 12 pack of homebrew. It’s a bittersweet day.

Last edited:
Fine tuned my fermentation fridge controller to come on and turn off when PV is plus/minus 2*F of SV.

Back