What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a pale ale. Vacuum sealed 2 lbs of hops. 4 more pounds to go. And talked to the wife about buying a RIMS tube.

Cleaned kegs to get 10 gallons of a Hopwork Orange out of the conical and into the keezer. Brewed a blonde ale, cleaned a fermenter.

image.jpeg

Bottled 2 small batches of blond ale.

Kegged up the bittersweet red I brought home from the brewery last weekend, and washed the yeast for the first time. Can't wait for next brewday to see if I did it right. Saved a big jar of wort from the brown I brewed today for use in the starter too.

Went to the garage to pick up a few IIPAs from the shelf, realizing one of my brews that I've been putting off til "tomorrow" to bottle is at week eight in the primary! Cracked the lid and it smelled perfectly fine, in fact oddly actively yeasty so hoping it's still good to bottle during the weekend (if I can finally kick myself hard enough to wash those dang bottles!)

Ordered the kettle, false bottom, thermometer etc, for a new mash tun along with the ingredients for a chocolate stout. Come on Saturday!

Boss and I brewed our first partigyle today - first batch a blonde that was split into two conicals, one will get strawberry and the other lime; for the session we added 25lbs of flaked corn back into the mash and it's going to be split into a blackberry cream ale and a blackberry habanero cream (not my idea, his wife wants it, I won't drink it). Long long long brew day for 150 or so gallons. Came home and tasted the IPA I kegged the other day, needs more carb but it's fantastic.

Brewed up 10g of a choc. stout. Had a buddy over who is new to brewing to see the whole process.

So far today I:

filled (2) 5 gallon kegs with AIPA.

Harvested 1056 yeast

Cleaned 3 draft lines.

Cleaned fermentor

And will start a new batch of APA after I drink a few beers first.

Bottled 5 gal of "Fly on the Wall" amber ale. Recently picked up some swing tops. I used those today and really like 'em.

Kegged up my Hop Slobber this morning. Was hoping to have enough to bottle a couple, but wound up with a full keg and not quite enough for a couple 12s, so just drank it up instead. Very yummy. Once this one is carbed up will have five good beers to choose from at home, for the very first time. Just need to teach the husband how to switch the kegs around without breaking something....

Racked my 1 gal ESB clone to secondary. I split it evenly between two vessels with different amounts of whole cone Target. Now it is allowed to warm up and off gas a bit before the final cold crash period and bottling. The final gravity is 1.011 and abv IS about 5.9%. At the end of the cold crash I'm going to throw in some gelatin. Although it seems to form less chill haze than the previous batch.
IMG_20180319_180514408.jpg

Today I brewed a 11 gallon batch of an Irish Red for my friends daughter's wedding. He brewed the beer with me, learned a lot, and had a blast. Of course we toasted this batch with the Irish Red that was left over from my St. Patty's Day party. Great day! I love this hobby!

Cheers,

John

Picked up some Kölsch yeast (WLP029) from the LHBS, along with some natural flavoring for some carbonated water.
Cleaned a keg that recently kicked.
Started soaking some oak chips (2oz) in bourbon for my American Barleywine that I'll brew this spring.
I'll probably start portioning out my grains later tonight for my upcoming brew and get the yeast starter going too.

Pulled the first pint of what I'm calling Hop Slobber (modified Caribou Slobber recipe with different hops) and just sitting here gobsmacked. Recipe below, and I'm amazed at how good this turned out. Keg isn't quite fully carbed yet but once it is this one won't last long.

10lbs 2 row
2lbs Cara 80
.5lb chocolate
.125lb Black barley

Mashed at 156 for 1 hour, mashout to 170. 90 minute boil. 1oz Perle pellets at 60, 1/2 oz Centennial at 30 and 15. Fermented for 10 days in carboy with yeast from my American Strong that did well, was originally Nottingham. SG 1.069, FG 1.020 (any more and it would be too dry). Terrific dark malt flavor, the Perle is a subtle bitter, and the Centennial gives a mild citrusy kick. 100% will brew again. First dark beer I've had turn out great in a while. Sigh.

Did my very first yeast starter today in hopes of brewing Saturday, using wort from the brown I did 2 weeks ago and yeast that I finally learned how to wash. Have to work at the brewery Saturday kegging and taking my payment in enough grain to do a simple APA to test the starter. Also going to bottle some 12's to share with the guys at work tomorrow.

I post way too much in this thread. Worked at the brewery today cleaning kegs and manning (womanning?) the taproom until the regular Friday bartender could show up. Relaxing with a pint of HB and overthinking my brewday tomorrow when I get home from kegging. Going to use the yeast starter I started yesterday, I've got backups in reserve if it doesn't take off. Should also mention I turned a hose with 180 degree water onto my foot (ouch) and burned off my left forearm hair lighting a burner.

Latest posts

Back