What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did NOT suffer my first dumper.
DID give myself one good scare.

Have a six tap keezer that can hold seven kegs.
Kicked a Heady Topper clone Thursday and swapped in a Focal Banger clone (I've done both recipes multiple times and love 'em).
Had to remove the 7th, untapped keg to do the swap.

Friday afternoon first pour from the fresh keg, expecting a hella hop-forward SRM 5-6 pint, got an SRM 30-something with nearly no hop presence but lots of vanilla and coffee and other dark notes.

WTF??

Sat in the office wracking my brainpan, replaying the brew process for that batch while reading my BS2 notes.
Everything had gone perfect, from dough-in to final packaging.
Could not wrap my head around how that brew had turned into this unless somehow I had oxidized the living *&%#@! out of it.

This morning I decided that keg - and it's mate (I do 10 gallon batches) was doomed and had to go.
Went down to the keezer, unplugged the suspect keg, pulled it out - and then noticed the tag:

Dry Porter

What a *******...:smack:

Did NOT suffer my first dumper.
DID give myself one good scare.

Have a six tap keezer that can hold seven kegs.
Kicked a Heady Topper clone Thursday and swapped in a Focal Banger clone (I've done both recipes multiple times and love 'em).
Had to remove the 7th, untapped keg to do the swap.

Friday afternoon first pour from the fresh keg, expecting a hella hop-forward SRM 5-6 pint, got an SRM 30-something with nearly no hop presence but lots of vanilla and coffee and other dark notes.

WTF??

Sat in the office wracking my brainpan, replaying the brew process for that batch while reading my BS2 notes.
Everything had gone perfect, from dough-in to final packaging.
Could not wrap my head around how that brew had turned into this unless somehow I had oxidized the living *&%#@! out of it.

This morning I decided that keg - and it's mate (I do 10 gallon batches) was doomed and had to go.
Went down to the keezer, unplugged the suspect keg, pulled it out - and then noticed the tag:

Dry Porter

What a *******...:smack:

Don't do that...

A couple days late but with the help of my father in-law re-wired a side by side fridge to be a kegerator and fermentation chamber.
Now I need to find time to brew more beer!

Bought 3kg of pre-crushed pale ale malt for the weekend, and forgot to dry hop my coopers real ale while trying to order a wheelbarrow worth of suspension linkages for my wife's car. Better remember to hop it today, though it was still bubbling away pretty well so a bit doubtful if it'll be ready for bottling this sunday...

Checked to make sure my fermentation chamber was holding my cold crash temps without issue. I had to remove basically all of the insulation from the door so I could fit all my fermenters in it. I replaced that insulation with some taped-in sheets of radiant barrier type stuff that looks like bubble wrap with foil over it. I don't really trust it though. I think I was originally mistaken about what radiant barrier is actually good for, but the dead air space in the stuff I'm using seems to be fairly effective anyway. I'm still thinking through what I should replace it with for a more permanent solution. Maybe I'll make a trip to the hardware store to see what I might use.

Kegged amber stout. Kegerator is finally full but the front two kegs are about to kick. Damn. Getting closer on the pipeline. Hopefully can get a brewday in the next couple days.

Brewed a saison today. Great brewing day, almost hit everything OG was expected to be 1.064 and I stranded at 1.063, im leaving it as is not going to mess with DME for one little point.

Picked up my powdered peanut butter for the stout I'll be brewing this weekend. Took the first FG reading on my first ever batch, an american IPA. 1.010. Lower than expected, smooth and citrusy with a little burn. Took notes, time to relax and have a beer

Kegged my latest pale ale, poured seven gallons of ruined stout down the toilet and set the conical up with the CIP ball to clean

I cleaned all day. Ran the washer on my kegs and fermenters then hosed and scrubbed and squeegeed the floor. Put away tools, barrels and everything else that was out of place. What a day!

Packaged my Irish red today. Half went into a party pig, half into bottles. I could not find the damn gasket for the party pig, so I lined the rim of the bottle with teflon tape [emoji33]. Didn't seem to leak, but I have no idea if that is going to be a decent solution or not. This sucks, because I was planning to bring the pig in a trip at the end of the month. Now I have to wait and see if it holds a seal or not, and I feel like disaster could strike at any moment...

Kegged my Cream of Three Crops and now I need room in the keg fridge so I'm working on that Patersbier. Almost empty ...

Brewed a cream of three crops. It was my first all grain. Nailed my preboil gravity. Still waiting on the post boil. This is exciting.

Edit: post boil was 1.054! That equated to an efficiency of 74.9, which is way better than I thought I'd do on a first try. Nice.

Pitched a rehydrated pack of Danstar Abbaye into the Patersbier wort I made yesterday and cooled to pitching temp overnight in the ferm fridge.

Kegged my house ale that I split and used 2 different yeasts. I make 11 gallon batches so an easy thing to do. Experimental got T-58 for yeast and danged if it doesn't remind me of Fat Tyre Ale!

Kegged my Nugget/Centennial pale ale, and I used the keg hopper for the first time in many batches. (It was gunked up for a while and I gave it a deep-down hot PBW cleaning a couple months ago.) Later on I'll get a starter of 3711 going for the saison I'll brew over the holiday weekend.

Supported a friend and fellow home brewer and stopped by his brewery for opening weekend today. Bought a couple of pints and a grumbler.

Trained a couple more bines with my Chinooks and Centennials in my backyard.

Oh and picked up two bottle of 120 Minute IPA for my Father's Day tradition. One for me and my father in-law to enjoy next month.

Back