What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered a JaDeD Hydra Immersion Chiller. I brewed an Oktoberfest Sat and my IM couldn't get the job done so I racked to the fermenter and placed it in the ferm chamber. It took until Sun AM to cool it to the point that I could pitch yeast. I gotta fix that.

So far cleaned some brew gear. Bent my wort chiller back into working order. Cleaning a keg atm going to keg yoopers oatmeal stout.

Kicked a keg of SMaSH so put my Czech Pils on gas to carb today while I drink Centennial Blonde. Oktoberfest is in the fermenter with a English Pale Ale on deck.

No action from the yeast in the Mumme' yet. The date on the pouches indicated May 1st as the limit to their use range. We'll see how long two pouches take to get going in a 1.074 wort?...:confused:

Bought caps so I can bottle on Saturday, going to dump a case of beer that was a complete failure, wash 2 cases of bottles, get a starter going in hopes of brewing this weekend, and will probably start the cold crash on the APA I am going to bottle. And, I will drink a couple of home brewed Hefe's.

Went to Cleveland Brew Shop in Ohio City this afternoon to replace the WY1275 yeast that was DOA. They said their WLP 023 Burton ale yeast sub's it, so I got two. Pitched both of those new style packets @ 4:28, started bubbling a bit @ 5:11PM! Now that's fresh! :ban:

I have been wanting to brew since Tuesday, but couldn't find the free time until this a.m. Woke up at 5 and began brewing at 6:15 a.m. At the end of the session i hope to have a tasty Palisade/2 row SMaSH fermenting away!

Kegged a pale that the ferment temp was too hot as in start at 71 and climbed to 78. It was Bry 97 yeast. It does taste bad flat so I thought I would keg it. I should know in a week. I also got rid of the bad thermometer and bought a 7 gallon fermonster.:mug:

Added the gruits & resulting tea from a half-gallon boil to sanitize, get flavors & aromas out to the primary FV for 23L, or a hair over 6 gallons. Now I wait some more...having some of my Queen Anne's Revenge whiskely stout to celebrate.

Just added 5 chopped and deseeded (partially) jalapeño peppers to my cream ale as well as the vodka tincture they were in...bottling this Saturday or Sunday.

Transferred 5 gals of stout to secondary and added bourbon, vanilla and oak chips. Will need to check it for a few days to get the flavor right and then bottle it.

Swapped out the CO2 cylinder. ($18) I wish they had 10 lb cylinders but they go from 5 to 20.

Picked up 55 lbs each of MO & Belgian Pilsner plus 10 lbs each of Beechwood Smoked Malt & Pale Rye Malt at my LHBS plus a 40 lb container of B/Brite & a backup Auto-Siphon.

Made a starter of WY1968 that I'll split into two ball jars for my next two beers: a fruity IPA and an American-style Brown...that uses English yeast.

checked gravity on my IPA. added 1oz Columbus to one carboy and 1oz cascade to the other. Also discovered that it is a PITA to dry hop with whole leaf into a carboy

Bottled 5 gallons of Bourbon Stout. Going to let it mellow until the end of November.

Bottled 5 gallons of Caribou Slobber all grain(NB kit from their sale awhile back $19.99). My neighbor loves it so I will give her a 6 pack(need to remind her to return the dang bottles!) once it is carbonated and has sat 4 weeks. It is one that gets best around 6 weeks...

Kegged 10 gallons of a Munich Dunkel, 10 gallons of an amber Kolsch and am currently about to sparge a 20 gallon batch of Caribou Slobber Brown Ale.

My pipeline has been too empty for a while now, getting back on track!

Going to fill a couple of growlers at a local watering hole then when I get home I will be cleaning and sanitizing heavily for the weekend bottling and brewing.

In the words of Don Cornelius, "Let's get into trouble, baby!"

I started a couple batches cold crashing, and will probably mill the grains for tomorrow's brew tonight.

Kegged my first ever ale with real fruit pieces as part of the fermentation. I've done sours with purée but never with pieces of fruit that I processed myself. What a disaster from a process perspective! Racking cane clogged up. Pieces of fruit got into the keg. Ended up getting pissed and just carefully pouring from the fermenter through a half-ass sanitized metal strainer into the keg. It was a oxidation nerd's worst nightmare. Even dropped an unsanitized rubber band into the carboy while racking. Don't even ask.

They reality is that the beer ended up at 1.010 and tasted delicious. It will probably turn out awesome. Might not age to well though, which isn't in the plan for it anyways.

Botlled a 8 pack and kegged the rest and made a new top for the tempature control cooler to fit the fermonster. I also saved some slurry for tomorrows brew.:mug:

I'm turning my garage into a cool mancave/brew space. Seeing as when it's 95F in there it's not cool, I picked up a used 25,000 BTU A/C unit for a fair price to make it cool. I had no windows in my garage large enough so I had to Frame an opening.

While it's more for the brew space than the brew, I'm counting it as doing something for my beer.

I love having a man cave/ brewery. a space to do with as I please, as long as I'm neat & somewhat orderly about it. Try to keep it clean & organized, as it were. Wrote some more of my 2nd HB book while soaking another bucket of bottles to loosen the labels. I've got quite a stack going already. Looks like I'll have a lot of labels to trade for other brewery swag? :rockin:

Back