What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gelled the Pliny clone. taster off the stirring spoon was pretty damned bitter. this will cold crash for a few more days then keg & burst carb so it's ready for the big annual flag football game. can't wait!

Well, let's see...sides done, beer in fridge, prep done, gotta make stuffing for the turkey, get candied yams going. Bread rolls & cheddar bay biscuits X's 2 later. And clean those darn empty bottles. :mug:

Yesterday at work I drilled 2 holes in a 2" tri-clamp blind and welded 2 3/8 compression unions in place.
I ferment in 15.5 gallon snake keg. with this I can have the fermentor at a higher elevation then my corny kegs. I have to add the 3/8 rubber tubing but I will be able to blow in one tube and start a siphon easily into my kegs.

siphon.jpg

Brewed a red ale which I'm excited about.

Singed a patch of hair off my right hand trying to get my burner lit the first time. (Oops)

Good day today! Bottled my Nelson wheat pale ale, and a batch of pappy's cider.
Moved a Scottish 80 and a milk stout to my corny' to carb up.
Moved a Belgian strong dark to a secondary to age, and uploaded ~11 recipes to beersmithi' with had bouncing around in my head.
Now to decide what to brew....

Finally kegging the Rumble - a Pliny clone. Fermented down to 1.010 - 9.1% - yeesh!. I'll put up two cornies and maybe a few bonus bottles. Can't wait for this - it's gotten to be an annual favorite. I'll be burst carbing one keg for a big event next weekend.

I'm about to check the gravity of a Chinook IPA, and if it hasn't changed since yesterday (it was at 1.014) I'll add the dryhops.

If it has changed, like dano said...I've also pulled a few pints off the kegerator.

Just transferred and pitched the mild I brewed yesterday. Meant to do it this morning and then lazy Sunday took over.

Sampled my vanilla bean porter which is tasting much better than a week ago!

Transferred tripel to secondary after cold crashing and added dry hops, made the final step of a starter for a dubbel, made a starter for a rye sour, now making tamarind paste for the sour and half the rubble.

Started the cold crash on the Christmas Card beer this morning before leaving for work.

Did an oxy soak and then an acid rinse of my carboy so I could transfer my barleywine to it for a long secondary. Added about a tablespoon of sugar boiled in a bit of water to build a CO2 barrier, since there's a bit of headspace.

Also scraped honey out of a few hundred 14g diner-style packets, until I filled up a 2.6L container. I'll just have to open the last few dozen packets when it comes time to burn the honey for the bochet I'm planning on making with it.

I've been traveling to the same northern Wisconsin town for work quite a bit, and there's a neat little cafe/craft brewing shop near the hotel. I stopped in and they were having a 30% off beer sale. I grabbed some Hanssens Oude Geuse and some Bruery Saison Rue.

SWMBO's having a girls' night on Saturday. I'll be spending the evening with those beers and probably a big steak.

Trying again to clarify beer before racking to keg. Not too sure why I've been failing it so much as of late. Still good, just presentation suffers a bit.

Trying again to clarify beer before racking to keg. Not too sure why I've been failing it so much as of late. Still good, just presentation suffers a bit.

Do you use Whirlfloc or Irish Moss? Cold-crash? Put a paint strainer on your racking tube?

Do you use Whirlfloc or Irish Moss? Cold-crash? Put a paint strainer on your racking tube?

Yes. Yes. No. A sequence change had been suggested to add gelatin after the cold crash and keep it crashed. Testing that one on an English Mild at the moment. Results tomorrow. Results might be skewed from using a different yeast than usual though.

Pitched a yeast starter in my IPA. Let the wort sit over night because I didn't have a starter made ahead of time :)smack:). First beer of my own design. Hoping it tastes great.

Drinkin' some home brews after all the BS from windows.old.FU2 all day...Gonna make a dent in that dry Whiskely stout too. See how it's comin' along.

if evryone posted that they drank a home brew on a home brew forum would make this thread 4,993,357,888,333 pages long.

if evryone posted that they drank a home brew on a home brew forum would make this thread 4,993,357,888,333 pages long.

I took my kids out for dinner and coincidently got to enjoy 2 glasses of Bourbon County Brand Stout. Does this count as doing something for beer? :p

Spent a good part of today setting up for a brew day sunday... going to be a Jameson imperial stout for Newhampstah' in February. ... :beard:
Have a belgian waiting for apre' brew ...

Bottled my Coopers European Lager fermented with 34/70 and ended up 5.8% ABV ..... Had a brain fade when adding water to the extract and ended up 1 litre (1 qt) short.

Tastes good uncarbed.

Hydro tested my Aberdeen Ale variant - to secondary tomorrow (FlabberCastle 357 English Brown Ale)
Drank a few glasses of my Machete 762 and Flabberhopper 44 IPAs
(Machete = Citra SMaSH, Flabber44 = Cascade, Simcoe, Citra and Mosaic)
Finalized the recipe for my next IPA - Machete 223 - Simcoe and Citra

Not beer - but also started a vanilla mead

Put 3 TBSP's of PBW in a bucket of about 4 gallons water. Getting to many gushers again lately. So I'll rinse the bottles, then soak'em for an hour. Scrub, rinse, then onto the bottle tree. Gotta go through this about once a year. :mug:

Finished recovering from some sort of lingering 36 hour hangover from Friday nights drinking. Bottled some of the batch of rye pale ale my brew buddy and I brewed up recently. Answered some questions on aging beers and pulled out a 2014 and 2015 mad elf to explain and show what aging will do.

I always come here a day late...

Brewed an IPA - 4.6 kg 2-row, .5 kg wheat malt, .3 kg CaraAmber; 15 g Azacca @60 minutes, two hopstands of 30g Azacca, 28g Ahtanum, and 14g Nelson @ 5 and 25 minutes after flameout until 1 hour after flameout; US05 @ 17.7 C; two dry hops of 30g/30g Nelson and Azacca for 7 and 4 days respectively (the second one concurrent with the last four days of the first).

Also cleaned some bottles with a hot sodium percarbonate (oxy) soak, bottle brushing, hot rinse, and finally peracetic acid rinse.

And I worked on organizing my brewing equipment, although I've still got some work to do there as I'm concurrently organizing three rooms of the house.

Phew...it's been a long beer weekend.

Yesterday I cleaned all my faucets and lines in prep for 4 new brews coming on tap.

Today I cleaned 4 kegs, and kegged a Chinook IPA, a dry Irish stout, and a nut brown ale, and I put a cream ale in the fridge to cold crash until Tuesday. Those 4 beers plus the relatively young quarter barrel of Yuengling means I'll have a good assortment on tap for the holidays.

Latest posts

Back