What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I labeled 30 pints of APA, 16 pints of ESB, and 6 pints of cider and put them in the garage fridge to "cold age". I also cleared some room in said fridge to cold crash a gallon batch of 15-minute blond.

I've never done that before, but this is still looking a bit turbid. Maybe because it's the first batch of beer I've done in a completely clear fermenter. Normally I ferment for 2-3 weeks, bottle carb for 2-3 weeks, chill for 1 week, then drink, so I don't really see it for 5-7 weeks. This one I see every day and it's not quite 2 weeks old. But the whole batch is an experiment - Can I brew a decent, simple extract beer in 15 minutes and drink it 3-4 weeks later? Seems reasonable to me.

More like "what I did for beer this week," but I cleaned two cases of bottles, brought my conditioned beers into the cold basement and stocked the fridge, bought a new 8 gallon brew kettle on Amazon (apologies to my LHBS, but I got a gift card for Christmas that I hadn't used yet), bought ingredients to make a SMaSH ESB this weekend.

"I will make it felony to drink small beer. "

Time for some barrel work.

1396626612284.jpg

Took a hydro sample of my 15-Minute Blond (1.012) and cold crashed it. Drinking the hydrometer sample isn't the same as having beer for breakfast, is it?

Took a hydro sample of my 15-Minute Blond (1.012) and cold crashed it. Drinking the hydrometer sample isn't the same as having beer for breakfast, is it?

No. It is not. Drinking beer is something we do to have fun, wind down, socialize, etc. Drinking hydro samples is jus part of the job. The job we cal "beer" ;)

"Sometimes Im right half of the time..."

Took my second hydrometer reading of my honey brown ale, 1.011 3 days ago and 1.011 today. Stuck primary in to cold crash, picked up bottles and caps.

Unpacked the three tap tower keg setup I received in the mail today. Also, I just happened to pass by my Flanders red chilling in my basement that I haven't even looked at in like two months and found this sweet ass pellicle.

Talked a friend into growing hops. (he is very big into consuming what he grows at all costs.) Hoping he will become a homebrewer in the very near future. I think he is coming over on sunday to brew the 3F Zombie dust clone with me.

Washed up all the 16 oz. beer glasses (that would be four total!) and then sprayed with diluted Star San, and now they're draining/drying.

Read a link provided by some kind soul on here re: washing beer glasses with various substances to improve lacing and head retention. Star San won!

We shall see how it goes in about another hour.

Fed my IPA some more hops - 2 oz. of cascade. It might all be in my head, but I swear I heard the bucket giggle with joy. Then again, it might just have been me giggling.

Bought a gallon of organic apple juice and some brown sugar to make my first batch of apfelwein.
About to place a northern brewer order :)

Bought Beersmith. I'm crafting recipes as I type this. However, with the lack of proper equipment (i.e. no Igloo cooler and false bottom), my dreams of actually brewing a good all-grain batch of Irish red ale will have to remain unfulfilled. At least until I cash the expense check I'm getting next week. Then, it's Igloo time, baby.

Bought Beersmith. I'm crafting recipes as I type this. However, with the lack of proper equipment (i.e. no Igloo cooler and false bottom), my dreams of actually brewing a good all-grain batch of Irish red ale will have to remain unfulfilled. At least until I cash the expense check I'm getting next week. Then, it's Igloo time, baby.

Do what you can, with what youve got, and make do. Dont worry bout the perfect setup. Its the carrot you will always be chasing. You will find a way to make a great beer, I'm sure!

"Sometimes Im right half of the time..."

You can brew the perfect all grain Irish Red with a $25 tamale pot and a $3 paint strainer bag. Bling doesn't make beer.

Bottled a batch of Phat Tyre. Took gravity readings and tasted samples of both my Oud Bruin and Guajillo Ancho Amber Ale. I might be adding the extra peppers and dry hop to the pepper beer later this evening.

Bottled up a light IPA. Was going for something a little different and everything worked out except the OG. Life goes on. 4.5% before bottle carbing isn't horrible. Things could have gone worse.

I also have a Hobgoblin Clone (Orfys) boiling away on the stove making the whole condo smell like worty hops. Had one pint about 2 months ago and was immediately determined to find a clone. If anyone really wants to stalk me check the "how many gallons" or "whos brewing" thread for updates.

Cleaned a keg that just kicked along w/ the kegerator lines used, kegged my David Law English PA for conditioning, tapped my version of the AwRd Winning IPA posted on HBT.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bought it, for the first time in a few months. Today's pick: 32oz bottle Lagunitas Sucks, 6-pack of Stone Go-To IPA, 22oz Sublimely Self Righteous, 22oz Firestone Walker Wookey Jack, and for the grand finale, 22oz Firestone Walker Parabola.

Not much other than drinking it. I brought up my primary holding my APA from the basement to warm up and finish off the last week in slighter warmer temps, and to try to keep the sediment minimal while transferring to the keg.

Bought it, for the first time in a few months. Today's pick: 32oz bottle Lagunitas Sucks, 6-pack of Stone Go-To IPA, 22oz Sublimely Self Righteous, 22oz Firestone Walker Wookey Jack, and for the grand finale, 22oz Firestone Walker Parabola.

Heck of a haul! And wow, 32oz is a pretty huge bottle of Sucks!

For my afternoon of beerwork, I took the first hydro sample from my week-old Mandarin Witbier (1.016, kinda high but I can live with it), started a bucketful of bottles delabeling in Oxi, decanted a starter of Chico yeast built up from my own bottle dregs and pitched it into a milk stout that's been stuck at 1.031 for ages. Later I'll probably crack open some northern brown ales that didn't really taste right after I brewed them months ago, give it a taste and make the final verdict on their fate.

Brewed the second of a double batch of IPA
Kegged up some Hefe
Cleaned brewroom
Updated brewlog and scheduled my brews for next week.

Drilled a hole and installed a valve and bazooka tube to make a mash tun from a cooler I've had hangin around for 20-ish yrs. I'll clean it up well and put it use next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Visited Begyle Brewing Co, a Chicago brewery I hadn't tried yet. Very boring tour, but good beer, and nice to see a very young brewery working out well. Bought two growlers.

Double brew day of RIS and India brown ale ( was going for black ipa but got brown ipa) RIS taste amazing already and had my buddies chiller so the ipa came out amazing with some hop bursting action and a nice hop stand
RIS:
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396747294.058215.jpg
Brown ipa
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396747335.448794.jpg

I drank some. It was from a local brewery and was very nice. I am still waiting for my first batch to carb up in the bottles so I have to drink other peoples beer. However it isn't a bad thing, every bottle I empty gets recycled into my bottle stash!

Back