What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoked some cheddar cheese to go along with the home brew. What a perfect match. I highly recommend to anyone who is into smoking as much as brewing. Just like beer it tastes nothing like what you buy in the store.

Bottled my Toasted Pecan Brown Ale...sample was a bit green but pretty good. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!

Downloaded and started playing with Bru'n Water, and stopped at the science surplus store to pick up some 50 ml capped vials so I can try my hand at freezing yeast.

went to the LHBS and bought ingredients for the next brew and just finished cleaning bottles for bottling

Found out on UPS site that my midwest order will arive today. I'll be bottling one of my IPA's Friday to open up a fermenter for a brewday Saturday morning.

Setting my cider to ferment. Adding 2lbs Dark Brown Sugar into approx. 7 gal raw cider before fermentation, gonna let it ride, then split into do smaller carboys for secondary. Half will get bourbon-soaked oak chips, other probably with a couple cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean.
For BEER, I'm testing the gravity on a APA based on the New Albion clone as brewed by Sam Adams and reported in BYO magazine.
5.75 lbs each Maris Otter and pale malts, .5lb Crystal-40,
60min - 1oz homegrown Newport hops
15min - 1oz cascade
5min - 1oz cascade.
Ferment with .5L starter of California Ale (WLP001)

Got my stater of ECY09 going. On Friday I'll split the yeast and save half to pitch at bottling time and step the other half up for Sundays brew day.

image.jpg

Well damn. I think I had a brain fart on my Maori IPA. I didn't record adding the cooled wort/super moss solution @ 10 minutes left in the boil. Last Wednesday,the FG was 1.015 & cloudy/turbid. Today,the third week to the day,it's very misty,but still at 1.015. OG was 1.074,so it seems it's done. But dang,I hate very misty PM ale. I'm thinking I should dry hop it today anyway,since the still rather green hop flavors seem to be ok yet. What do y'all think? I'm at a loss on this one?...:drunk:

Got my stater of ECY09 going. On Friday I'll split the yeast and save half to pitch at bottling time and step the other half up for Sundays brew day.

I hope you have fermcap because that looks full...

Today, I made a starter w/ San Diego Super Yeast.

Since I got a duplicate bag of grains with my PM Traditional stout kit,I used BS2 to design a robust porter recipe with vanilla. I liked Leinenkugel's snowdrift vanilla porter so much,I designed my own version with leftover grains & hops.

tugbucket said:
Drew a sample of our 17 month old black sour. yum. Really need to bottle this up soon.

Sounds interesting. Whats the gist of your method and recipe?

Drank some beer. Neglecting my Pliny clone that needs a transfer and some dry hopping. Considering back sweetening the two gallons I have of cider. But only thinking about it. Think ill just drink my last cold Oberon clone and call it a night...

Heating up 2C of water to make some priming solution for my CCIPA that'll get bottled in a bit. I need to open up the fermenter for a PM traditional stout in the morning.

Realized I didn't need to find more boxes for all my clean 750s because of all the empty rubbermaid style totes in the basement. My wife is probably going to cry when she sees the 'beer room' is at least half pantry again. :D

Realized I didn't need to find more boxes for all my clean 750s because of all the empty rubbermaid style totes in the basement. My wife is probably going to cry when she sees the 'beer room' is at least half pantry again. :D

Mine won't know what to do when I have fully dedicated space to brew and store in.

Mine won't know what to do when I have fully dedicated space to brew and store in.

Taking over half the house may have played a small role in convincing mine refinancing to open a brewery was a good idea. Of course with the ABV cap in TN, I'l still have to homebrew if I ever find the time. :)

cleaned/prepped friggin 90 bottles last night to prep for bottling two batches w/in days of each other...pain-fulll. Check SG on my Belgian Tripel and it has crept from 1.020 to 1.018 over 5 d's....this should be the proper FG but one more SG check end of wknd will seal that deal. Will be bottling my APA tomorrow night.

Big day. Bought Blichmann beer gun and adapter kit. Bottles 5 gallons of apfelwine. Half sweet and half dry. Kegged pumpkin ale. Started a yeast starter for 3068 for my old lady's hef. Washed 60 bottles. Started to build garden sprayer keg
Line cleaner. Boom.

BrewinHooligan said:
Ordered a bunch of vials, petri dishes, and an alcohol lamp to start slanting and culturing yeast.

I need to do that. Where did you order from?

Gotta start cleanin up after bottling & runnin yesterday so I can brew up my PM stout today. forgot the bourbon to soak the chips in when I pitch on the beer later. Had to take son to work at 7:30,pick up at 4pm. Have to get bourbon then & hope wort is in ice bath by then. Sometimes I wish the family wouldn't wanna run around on days when I'm busy in the brewery.

Put Belgian Tripel in ice bath for cold crash x 3d's...was gonna bottle APA tonight but full day of yard work has my back aching amd dogs barkin so will put off till tomorrow...

Brewed a IIPA and transferred a RIS to secondary, drank some and scored a couple of 4 packs of Founder's breakfast stout:rockin:
I fear no foam!

IMG_0677.jpg

MAN,what a long day. Started at 8:49AM,Ended @ 7:15PM. cleaned up after bottling day yesterday,including fermenter. Brewed a partial mash Traditional stout,got that in the fermenter. Dry hopped my Maori IPA,& put about a 1/4C of Jim Beam bourbon on 2oz of white oak chips in an airtight container in the fridge. Tired & my L2 disc is really barkin. Beer & vodka as a reward for along day in the brewery.

Back