What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dumped 50+ bottles in the tub with oxy free...will be bottling an oatmeal apa this wknd...took another SG reading and its down from 1.019 last week to 1.013 tonight. Will check again Sat night and if stable will bottle Sun.

Bought the ingredients for my imperial stout. Picked up a drilled 6.5 stopper for a one gallon jug to try my hand at a small cider batch. Wish me luck.

Picked up a 6 pack of Odell Brewing 5 Barrel Pale Ale, and a single 12 oz of Lindemans Kriek Lambic. I've never had either, so it should be an interesting Saturday night.

Threw a bunch of bottles in the dishwasher hoping for an easy way to get rid of this "ring around the neck" problem one of my recent brews left behind... minimal success. Also dry hopped my ESB.

Worked up a starter of 3724 for tomorrow's sour cherry saision brew day, picked up 50 pounds of pilsner malt and 2 pounds of wheat malt, kegged 6 gallons of west coast blaster, salvaged the yeast from the 2-gallon Notthingham batch, and probably a few other miscellaneous things I forgot about. TGIF!!

kscarrington said:
Worked up a starter of 3724 for tomorrow's sour cherry saision brew day, picked up 50 pounds of pilsner malt and 2 pounds of wheat malt, kegged 6 gallons of west coast blaster, salvaged the yeast from the 2-gallon Notthingham batch, and probably a few other miscellaneous things I forgot about. TGIF!!

Haha that's a slight difference in weight there. 50:2 ratio. I'm guessing you use pilsner malt more often than wheat. What country of origin did you go with on the pilsner malt?

The nut brown is dead. Long live the nut brown. Note that the previous glass was clear as a bell. This glass brought the bottom of the keg with it.

As I poured the first glass to drink with dinner, I remarked to my wife. This must be almost empty. You know that the last couple of glasses from a keg are alaways the best

image-2416532734.jpg

You mean I shouldn't shoot for an OG of 1.325?! Since there were no 10-pound bags available, and I decided to make a 10-gallon batch anyway, I selected Briess Pilsen malt. Basically that was the only pilsner malt I could find in the greater Fairbanks area!! I've only used wheat malt for a handful of batches, but now that I have lagering capabilities, I figured having pilsner malt on hand isn't abad thing.

Dave37 said:
Haha that's a slight difference in weight there. 50:2 ratio. I'm guessing you use pilsner malt more often than wheat. What country of origin did you go with on the pilsner malt?

kscarrington said:
You mean I shouldn't shoot for an OG of 1.325?! Since there were no 10-pound bags available, and I decided to make a 10-gallon batch anyway, I selected Briess Pilsen malt. Basically that was the only pilsner malt I could find in the greater Fairbanks area!! I've only used wheat malt for a handful of batches, but now that I have lagering capabilities, I figured having pilsner malt on hand isn't abad thing.

Haha sounds like quite the imperial pilsner you've got planned. My lhbs has castle(Belgian) pilsner malt on hand which I hear is one of the better pilsner malts around. I've had lagering capabilities for a while considering I've only been brewing one year. (1st anniversary is Monday) but have only used the pilsner in a BGSA. Will be acquainting myself with more in the near future though.

Haha sounds like quite the imperial pilsner you've got planned. My lhbs has castle(Belgian) pilsner malt on hand which I hear is one of the better pilsner malts around. I've had lagering capabilities for a while considering I've only been brewing one year. (1st anniversary is Monday) but have only used the pilsner in a BGSA. Will be acquainting myself with more in the near future though.

My LHBS doesn't have Castle, but they do have Dingemans. I've never used it, although I've been meaning to give it a shot. I'm quite fond of the Weyermann Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner malt. I've used the regular Weyeramann Pils, as well as Briess Pils, and found them both very lacking.

Uh, no. :D

I built my DIY stir plate. A variable speed computer fan. Hookups for it to usb. A usb wall adapter. Some random tiny aluminum briefcase from a second hand store. Magnets out of an old hard drive. Some bits of sheet vinyl I bought for something else. Leftover pieces of rubber from a fan balancing kit. Some 3m foam backed tape.

Altogether, it came out better then I expected.

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

brewed my first AG batch, a Centennial Blonde. my POS burner couldnt get a decent boil going. i think I'll be upgrading soon

The nut brown is dead. Long live the nut brown. Note that the previous glass was clear as a bell. This glass brought the bottom of the keg with it.

As I poured the first glass to drink with dinner, I remarked to my wife. This must be almost empty. You know that the last couple of glasses from a keg are alaways the best

Whew... I can almost feel your gas!

Working on my second10-gallon batch of the day. Usually I would feel proud, but since my trial run with my RIMS system scorched the **** out of my first batch, I'm essentially going through the motions (no RIMS) to be able to finish before the night is over.

Introduced a coworker and his dad to homebrewing. Kegged up my Autumn Amber Ale. Did some bulldozing on the property for new driveway and now having some home brews :)

Pretty good Saturday.

Starting yesterday I cleaned and de-labeled 168 bottles, today I bottled up a Red Ale and made a starter for my vanilla porter I'm brewing up tomorrow. Cheers all!

Bottled my first all-grain batch. I did this all by myself, and it's the first time in a long time I've gone solo on bottling day. Tedious.

Of course, I expect about 5 replies of a vaguely smug nature from you who keg instead of bottle. So I'll elaborate. While all that bottling was tedious, it was not tedious enough to get me to rearrange my apartment and find space I don't really have for a keezer so I can spend several hundred dollars building one and getting kegging equipment.

Bottled an oatmeal APA. Tasted interesting uncarbed, had a spiciness to it. Looking forward to testing in 3 weeks or so.

It tasted like it had something from a horny goat in it...

That's a real herb,I wasn't pokin fun. I freaked when I found out from the person that told me what horney goat weed was!:mug:
It's a sexual stimulant...you know you're a redneck when...

Just kegged 10 gal of Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer for those BMC lovers that always seem to "just be in the neighborhood" during football season

Finally fixed my stir plate that only spun the bar very erratically and threw the bar so often I usually would just say F it and quit using the stir plate. Now instead of a hard drive magnet I have two 1/4" disc magnets installed and it works great. The bar spins fast and stable, gets a nice 1/2"-3/4" dimple on the surface of a full 2 L starter. Also bottled my barleywine yesterday that was brewed on New Year's Day and has been bulk conditioning since then.

Since I let my pipeline run empty, I did some housekeeping...

*Cleaned a little mold from the bottom of my keezer (still need to buy some DampRid so it's less likely to grow back).
*Cleaned all of my faucets, shanks, and liquid ball lock QDs.
*Changed all of my beer lines.
*Cleaned a keg.
*Kegged a batch of APA (trying to get to a good house recipe).

unionrdr said:
That's a real herb,I wasn't pokin fun. I freaked when I found out from the person that told me what horney goat weed was!:mug:
It's a sexual stimulant...you know you're a redneck when...

Yeah, I know it's a real herb...also used for osteoporosis. But I was just saying, this stuff tastes like something actually related to a horny goat was used in the brewing process. Although I was told that the herb got its nickname because a goatherd noticed his goats would get all "riled up" after eating it. Not sure if that's true.

Bottled my Saison that was hopped with northern brewer only. Amazing aroma and flavor at bottling, can't wait till they are carbed up.

Brewed an Amber last night. Have two kegs in the fridge carbing, and this one.

Need more KEGS! :rockin:

nukebrewer said:
Bought a pound of Summit hops for $14 shipped

People describe em as oniony/garlicky. I can see what they're talking about but I think it's a great hop nonetheless as those flavors don't dominate. I get an earthy, dankish super fuggles thing myself.

bigbeergeek said:
I just had a vasectomy. I think I've earned a taster or two...

Or three or four. I had mine a few years ago - don't do what I did and think you can do chores around the house...that "popping" feeling is not what you want to experience post-snip. Just enjoy those beers :)

Latest posts

Back