What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, lets see.

I ordered somewhere from a Butt Munch to a S**t Load of electrical parts from Ebrewsupply and Auberins to start my build.

Wow, this cheaper by brewing your own beer sure is getting expensive:D

Kegged a batch of Honey Cream Ale today. 4 weeks fermenting with a full week cold crash. This is the SWMBO's favorite. 2 More batches to brew next weekend and that'll be all till the fall. Got a massively full pipeline.

- Brewed a batch of Hefeweizen:

4 lbs Weyermann floor malted Pilsner
7 lbs Weyermann floor malted white wheat
1 oz German Hallertauer (60 min)
Wyeast 3068
OG: 1.045

- Racked and dry hopped a 1 gallon extract batch of double IPA made with Simcoe, Amarillo, Cirta, Mosaic and Cascade hops

Sniffed my Lambic Style Sour and then had to take a taste. The wheat flavor is still too dominant and it's not sour enough yet. Oh well... a couple more months in the basement, I guess.

I bought two bottles of Rogue XS Dead Guy, for the ceramic bottles - I'm getting two more tomorrow - and I bought new coasters. Go ahead and laugh, but sandstone coasters seem to make all the difference. Now, I just need a nightstand that isn't made out of laminated MDF.

I built a hopper for my old grain mill.

I bought the mill 15 years ago and milled many batches on it before my brewing hiatus.

I'll do the woodworking next weekend.

I'll power this with my 3/8" Reversing Variable Speed Drill.

image.jpg

Surfing ebay for stuff for my kegerator project. Bought my refrigerator this weekend, and I consider living on leftover mash for food the coming month to be able to buy kegs, faucets, regulator and a tank.

Also checked upon my IPA I brewed yesterday.

I admittedly didn't do much for beer this weekend.

Today I picked up a 4 pack of some random brand of tall boys. I swear I'm a glutton for punishment. I can't explain it but I always feel like I have to try the cheap unheard of beer. It was $3.75 for 4 16oz cans. Must be good, right? Put it in the fridge and forgot about it. I did have a homebrew heff while watching a movie and one of my Ambers with dinner...

Bottled my I-131 Pale Ale yesterday and today I will finish cleaning up (scrub the walls) from where I had a blow out while it was fermenting.

Bought an old mini fridge from Craigslist that will be used as the cooling element in my DIY fermentation chamber build.

Went to the lhbs, my grain stores are getting out of control. But they keep running sales, I can't stop. Can't stop.

Hah. I had that problem for a while. I'm almost out of base malt now, just a little pilsner. I had four different bags of base malt going for a while.

Dry hopped a batch of Yooper's Ruination clone. Now I have to decide whether to bottle it so it will last a a little longer and I can savor it over time, or keg it and drink till I am sated, but have it last only a short time. I need a bigger MLT so I can do 10 gallon batches of this one.

Drove to Charleston to get some grain from Holy City Brewing. Checked on my delivery status for my stainless wort chiller and sampled some beer.

Picked up 10 ounces of Cascade, 2 ounces of Simcoe, 2 ounces of Citra, 2 oz of Willamette, a grain bag, a thermometer, two stoppers with airlocks, and grain for an Amber Ale, a Pale Ale, and a Habanero IPA. Saturday will be a day to remember!

I hooked up my new keezer, transfered a batch into a keg, and hooked up to gas, so that it can be served at my brother's birthday bbq.

Brewed first of a double batch of Porter

I have a back up brewer I am currently training due to a recent hospitalization on my part so I have trained him that much more today as well :)

I had a milestone discussion with the brewer at Black Box Brewing Co,& my lhbs about better bottles cracking. It's caustic cleaners like oxyfree & PBW. He & I want to solve this puzzle. Best thing I could ever do,imo. If I can help think of a way to solve it. It'd be cool to work with him to solve this for the betterment of craft & home brewing. This is the kind of thing I friggin live for. I did it for Ford for 31 years...now it's YOUR turn!:mug:

I bought twenty 4G buckets with lids for 20$ from the recycle center. The buckets are food safe and white. I also bought 20 3 piece airlocks from the local brew shop. So now i have plenty of fermenting room 80g for 35$.

2013-06-06 22.15.00.jpg

2013-06-06 22.15.21.jpg

I had a milestone discussion with the brewer at Black Box Brewing Co,& my lhbs about better bottles cracking. It's caustic cleaners like oxyfree & PBW. He & I want to solve this puzzle. Best thing I could ever do,imo. If I can help think of a way to solve it. It'd be cool to work with him to solve this for the betterment of craft & home brewing. This is the kind of thing I friggin live for. I did it for Ford for 31 years...now it's YOUR turn!:mug:

Where are your BB cracking? If on the bottom edge are you rolling the bottle on a tennis ball as recommended?

In the midst of brewing 20 gals of American Lager for my wedding... tomorrow its its 20 gals of Citra Pale!!!

I brewed a batch of wheat , and finished cleaning up after it. My head is pounding right now, so no second batch today. Nor tomorrow, either: not enough malt or hops for anything interesting.

Remembered to put a blow off tube on the saison I brewed yesterday. :D

Made 5 gallons of banana wine.

Banana wine? Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Anyway, I picked up 2.5lbs of TF&S Pale Crystal, 1.5 of Gambrinus ESB, some more hops (Magnum and Mosaic), some Wyeast 1275, the new Queens of the Stone Age album, and two bottles of Rogue XS Dead Guy. I suspect that my local liquor store isn't going to get any more Rogue XS for a while - their availability is spotty.

Drank a couple good sours. Added the chunky bits to a work in progress.

Brewed a pumpkin saison. Learned that it doesn't pay to try to cut corners or try to fit in a brew when you know you don't have enough time. Terrible efficiency but caught it in time to pump up the OG with some DME and dextrose.

Back