What have you always wanted to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score

Climb a mountain ... play Carnegie Hall ... visit somewhere ... meet someone ... ?

For me ... I've always wanted to play a musical instrument well. Melodeon or guitar or clarinet or piano or maybe bagpipes. I own the first three ... just never found the time to learn them.

In no particular order...

Write a novel.
Have a farm (or property enough to grow some grapes and hops).
Be HAPPILY married. (0 fer 2 on that one.)
and
Go to England/Scotland/Ireland

Fly a ultralight airplane since I was a little kid, now I have this, Whooo Hoooo !

Cheers :mug:

IMG_0325.jpg

Fly a jet fighter: Done
Visit the Pyramids: 15 times and counting
Play Golf on all continents: There are no Golf Courses on Antarctica : Busted
Make the Best Beer in the World: Check!
Daily Double with Vanna White: Not a chance.
Fight Zombies: Waiting for the Virus
:tank:

Always wanted to be in either a punk or metal band. Sadly, deployments make that more difficult.

Also want to take a tour around Scandinavia.

Go to Cuba, fly a plane, ride my motorcycle cross country, be happily married.

Always wanted to be in either a punk or metal band. Sadly, deployments make that more difficult.

Also want to take a tour around Scandinavia.

It's fun, but touring gets old quickly. If you ever want to jam and you're in the Phoenix area let me know.

It's fun, but touring gets old quickly. If you ever want to jam and you're in the Phoenix area let me know.

We actually get out there a couple times a year. My wife is from Gilbert. Looks like you're just down the road.

I'd like to sail the northwest passage (west to east) & then on to Europe.
Catch a fish bigger than me.
Marry a nice Swedish girl.
Win the lottery in a BIG way, like $100M or more.

Learn how to play guitar

You can get a decently playable guitar for about $100-150 . A pretty nice practice amp might go for about $140 new. (Assuming electric)

1/2 hour a day of practice and within a few months you will be playing basic chords for some of the popular classic rock riffs well.

A year or so and you could be well versed in most of the common chords and making filler licks to go between them and writing basic songs.

The hard part is putting aside 1/2 hour to devote to doing this. And if you add 15 minutes to each practice for JUST learning chords and scales, your ability to create music and understand the songs already written will increase dramatically.

+1 to learning an instrument. I even have a guitar, but haven't gotten up the discipline to devote time everyday to practicing.

Other than that, just a lot of traveling. I'd love to see the Northern Lights. Also, if commercial spaceflight ever becomes reasonably affordable in my lifetime, I'd be all over that. Far-fetched maybe, but I can dream, can't I?

Visit Machu Pichu. Someday I will...

I've been there - do it.

As for me, I've always wanted to gut and restore an old muscle car (Mopar). I used to do a lot of my own work when I was younger, but it's been years. My plan is to do this within the next 5 years.

I want to do as much of the work as I can, so I'm currently taking welding classes at night at the local BOCES. Next I'm taking engine repair, then bodywork. Within a few years I should be ready to go.

Now I just need a car, a bigger garage, and a several grand worth of tools. :D

Marry a wonderful woman- CHECK
Have 2 wonderful kids, most of the time.-CHECK
Spend a month in Ireland- On the to do list when we retire.

I'm at that stage in life of really doing what I've always wanted to do...and that is whatever the hell I want to do! Thank you, all you working folk, for supporting me in my retirement!

glenn514:mug:

You can get a decently playable guitar for about $100-150 . A pretty nice practice amp might go for about $140 new. (Assuming electric)

1/2 hour a day of practice and within a few months you will be playing basic chords for some of the popular classic rock riffs well.

A year or so and you could be well versed in most of the common chords and making filler licks to go between them and writing basic songs.

The hard part is putting aside 1/2 hour to devote to doing this. And if you add 15 minutes to each practice for JUST learning chords and scales, your ability to create music and understand the songs already written will increase dramatically.

Thanks! I actually bought a nice beginner level acoustic a couple years ago. It's just dedicating the time...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks! I actually bought a nice beginner level acoustic a couple years ago. It's just dedicating the time...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

An acoustic is generally harder to finger than an electric and that doesn't help make practicing any more fun. But after a week or so your fingers will develop enough callus to make that a non-factor.

But I agree on the practicing and time. I've played guitar since I was in high school and it's hard to fit that in when you have so much other stuff to do. I am at the point where my playing isn't going to ever be as good as Steve Vai, but if I spent some time LEARNING music theory, I could easily learn to play a lot of the cool stuff the rock bands have put out over the years.

My main axe has been without a pickup for a few years now. The replacement that a friend gave me gets some action once every couple of weeks for a few days.

It's sad. Just about the time I get calluses and loosened up, stuff gets in the way.

My list of things I always wanted to do are all mostly small things. I'm slowly whittling them down.

I've always wanted an old Mustang and some years back I bought one and it's been a long, slow process, but this year I'm finally going to start back up on it. The Engine compartment has almost entirely been rewelded and painted, and I'm starting on the floors and then the back and body after I build up my welding skills again. The 351W is partially cleaned and I can now fill the parts cleaner and get to finishing that and starting the rebuild.

I have just about all the parts to rebuild the car. I just need to order the paint so that when I do body work I can protect it until it's all welded and ready for sanding and final paint. I think if I worked on it steady I could have it painted and mostly back together in about 3 years.

My neighbor retired back last August, in September he and 2 other guys started in Mississippi up to the Dakotas followed the border the the west coast and followed the coastline down and traveled back down across to Mississippi. It was a month long trip, he said that next to having his kids it was the best time in his life.

My fondest dream at this point is to move to Wyoming and have enough property to be able to hunt and fish and generally be left alone, other than KOTC. A girl can dream!

I've been on a 12 day cruise to Alaska - man I did NOT want to get off that ship when we got back to port. It was an amazing time.

The one thing that is on my list to do is go to China and walk/camp along the great wall of China. Want to try and do the whole thing.

Fly a jet fighter: Done
Visit the Pyramids: 15 times and counting
Play Golf on all continents: There are no Golf Courses on Antarctica : Busted
Make the Best Beer in the World: Check!
Daily Double with Vanna White: Not a chance.
Fight Zombies: Waiting for the Virus
:tank:

There's a disc golf course on Antarctica.;)

An acoustic is generally harder to finger than an electric and that doesn't help make practicing any more fun. But after a week or so your fingers will develop enough callus to make that a non-factor.

But I agree on the practicing and time. I've played guitar since I was in high school and it's hard to fit that in when you have so much other stuff to do. I am at the point where my playing isn't going to ever be as good as Steve Vai, but if I spent some time LEARNING music theory, I could easily learn to play a lot of the cool stuff the rock bands have put out over the years.

My main axe has been without a pickup for a few years now. The replacement that a friend gave me gets some action once every couple of weeks for a few days.

It's sad. Just about the time I get calluses and loosened up, stuff gets in the way.

Learning guitar is a fun journey, you never really learn it, you just become more proficient. It does take a lot of time, thousands of hours matter of fact, to become a decent player. I practice every single day, even if it's only for 15 minutes. Sometimes I have to remind myself, it's suppose to be fun! Not like hard work, the only reason I ever picked one up in the first place was because I thought it was fun. I would not trade playing music for any other hobby, not even brewing. Speaking of, I think I'll go pick up my banjo for a bit.....

It can take up to 6 months for a new player to really toughen those finger tips, eventually you'll lose all the feeling in them completely. Mine tend to crack and peel a lot.

As for which is easier to learn on, I get asked that a lot and I'm not really sure. I always suggest playing which ever one the person likes better. I would suggest putting a set of 10s on anything for a beginner though, 9s bend a little too easy and most acoustics do sound better with 11-13s but 10s are by far the easiest to learn on. Also using 10s will lower the neck tension some, and thus lower the action a little, this can help new players quite a bit.

What kind of electric do you have?

Back on subject.

I've always wanted to go duck hunting and learn to do some computer programming, mainly java.

Go to a Patriots Home Game in Winter. Cindy Crawford, and have a son with a tail. (He would be a Sayian and his name would be Goku) I had this bet with my wife on our last son he let me down no tail >.>

Learning guitar is a fun journey, you never really learn it, you just become more proficient. It does take a lot of time, thousands of hours matter of fact, to become a decent player. I practice every single day, even if it's only for 15 minutes. Sometimes I have to remind myself, it's suppose to be fun! Not like hard work, the only reason I ever picked one up in the first place was because I thought it was fun. I would not trade playing music for any other hobby, not even brewing. Speaking of, I think I'll go pick up my banjo for a bit.....

It can take up to 6 months for a new player to really toughen those finger tips, eventually you'll lose all the feeling in them completely. Mine tend to crack and peel a lot.

As for which is easier to learn on, I get asked that a lot and I'm not really sure. I always suggest playing which ever one the person likes better. I would suggest putting a set of 10s on anything for a beginner though, 9s bend a little too easy and most acoustics do sound better with 11-13s but 10s are by far the easiest to learn on. Also using 10s will lower the neck tension some, and thus lower the action a little, this can help new players quite a bit.

What kind of electric do you have?

Back on subject.

I've always wanted to go duck hunting and learn to do some computer programming, mainly java.

I use .009s on my electrics, generally. Yes, they don't sound the best, but they are really squirrely, which is good for bending and making fun metal noises!

My main was a Kramer Focus 1000 in Metal Flake Red. Single volume, single bridge, Floyd Rose floating bridge. I took the pickup out and routed a pocket for neck pickup. I haven't picked out a pickup for it yet in like 3 years. I almost did once, but picking it out was the hardest part!

My new main is a yellow Ibanez. I don't recall the model number. I think it's a single humbucker with a pair of single coils in the middle and neck position. It also has a floating bridge.

I also have a Frankensteined Cort Effector from Sears. I took the electronics out when I was young to repaint it (twice) and never got it put back in. I wish I knew then what I know now! It's a crazy mix of colors and the VERY crappy floating bridge is now fixed.

I'd love to have a Les Paul, even if it's an Epiphone. I just can't justify the cost when I don't play that much. I really need to get some recording software installed again and play with setting up rhythm tracks and playing over them.

Also, in case anyone hasn't heard, you can download free jam tracks of some popular songs, and a bunch of plain rhythm tracks in different styles to jam with. Just google jam tracks, or backing tracks.

Ok, any more of this kind of talk is going to have to get moved to a new thread. Mod warning! ;)

Climb a mountain ... play Carnegie Hall ... visit somewhere ... meet someone ... ?

For me ... I've always wanted to play a musical instrument well. Melodeon or guitar or clarinet or piano or maybe bagpipes. I own the first three ... just never found the time to learn them.

Is it weird I've done all those things you listed

Is it weird I've done all those things you listed

The examples? ... or the musical instruments? Eh ... Bagpipes?
If you played Carnegie Hall, were you there for a musical performance?

Anyone here ever played bagpipes or tried to play them? I've heard they are more difficult than most instruments to actually play something recognizable as music.

As far as my wanting to learn to play my Melodeon ... it is a type of button accordion.
Anyone here play accordion?? (concertina, melodeon etc)

Anyone here ever played bagpipes or tried to play them? I've heard they are more difficult than most instruments to actually play something recognizable as music.

I've never played, but a friend's roommate has a set, and I've heard him play them a couple of times. (Once when we peer-pressured him into playing for a bar crowd on St. Paddy's Day) It seems pretty challenging, especially having the lung power to keep the bag inflated consistently.

It's also unbelievably loud.

The examples? ... or the musical instruments? Eh ... Bagpipes?
If you played Carnegie Hall, were you there for a musical performance?

As far as my wanting to learn to play my Melodeon ... it is a type of button accordion.
Anyone here play accordion?? (concertina, melodeon etc)

Yea I got to perform in Carnegie Hall its was pretty surreal. It was just funny to me that you listed something I got to do.

I tried to learn bagpipes but goddamn I got annoyed myself listening to myself learn them haha. Had a buddy that could play and he would just walk around town in high school playing them in a kilt.

Back