What happens if my fresh bottles get too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducky2010

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch of beer yesterday evening - Northern Brewer's Nut Brown Ale + 1 lb brown sugar as per comments. After being convinced I ruined it somehow I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was pretty tasty when I took a sample. Needless to say that I'm excited!

And today... my AC is out. Again. Called some people and yelled at them, but I doubt my landlords will get it fixed before Tuesday. It's likely to hit 85-90 in here during that time.

So now the question: My precious beers are supposed to be carbonating, but what happens if they get too hot?! Can I stash them in the fridge so the yeast go dormant, or should I just hope that at this stage they are pretty resilient?

I would look into converting an old fridge with a temp controller,if its going to be an ongoing thing.You could try storing them in a big cooler with a few frozen water bottles.Im shure it would be fine but its not an ideal storage temp @ 85-90. I preferr to keep them at primary temps. I have some at 80 right now that ive been lazy about moving them downstairs. I definatly wouldnt store them long term at those temps.Short term may be fine or not.

I am looking into getting a fridge. It just won't solve the immediate issue. I think in the next month or so I will get one, depending on whether or not I decide to move when this lease is up.

My carbonating and conditioning beers are usually kept around 75-80f as I live in the desert. I have yet to locate off flavors as a result. Generally my mid gravity ales are fully carbed around 14 days as a result and if so, they all go to the fridge for cold storage and consumption. Temperatures are far more important during primary fermentation in my experience but I have heard of beer becoming stale much faster when stored for extended time at higher temps.

Thanks for your insight OClaire. I think I must be crazy to decide I want to learn how to brew in Houston during the summer. But summer is about 9 mos of the year so :p

Ducky2010 said:
Thanks for your insight OClaire. I think I must be crazy to decide I want to learn how to brew in Houston during the summer. But summer is about 9 mos of the year so :p

It's not crazy but you now know what you need to do in order to control the variables involved in producing good beer, it's all part of the learning curve and being prepared for the unexpected things that may arise in the life of a home brewer:) in fact, sometimes the results of the unexpected may pleasantly surprise you with a better beer than you thought, cheers!

Back