What Happened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rj007ski

Reaction score
I started my first mead in November and I have racked it twice since then. It was crystal clear three days ago with the exception of a very thin layer of white sediment that looked more milky or cloudy than solids. So I racked it, and now today its not clear any more.

I'm hoping I just somehow disturbed the sediment and it will settle out.

Is there anything else that could of happened to my mead?

I will simply try to set the stage, so to speak, for the more knowledgable folks who may show up to help by asking for more information. What kind of Mead is it? What ingredients did you use? Did you ferment in a jug or a bucket? How we'll did you sanitize? Things like these.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm hoping I just somehow disturbed the sediment and it will settle out.
This would be my first and likely guess....

Is there anything else that could of happened to my mead?
Possibly, but again, not likely....give it some time to settle out again, cold crash if possible??? When I've racked into what will be the final fermenter (secondary, third, whatever) I immediately place that vessel on the place (shelf/stand/whatever) I will be siphoning into the bottling bucket from and leave it sit totally undisturbed until bottling time.....doesn't take much movement of a carboy to stir up the wispy yeast at the bottom, many times.

Patience, friend, I'd imagine it'll reclear on it's own.....hopefully ;)

In racking you likely took just a bit of sediment with it that got put back into suspension in the process. If it was clear before, it will clear again. Look for it to re-floc out after a few days to a week.

Latest posts

Back