What grapes should I grow in western wa??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shag_from_Wa

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some plants established the spring, i'm on the wet side of the state, and figuring mabey on a variety of 4-6 plants(for now) to be able to do a little of everything in the future when i have some time to brew.
Suggestions on some varieties to look for?

I don't know washington at all. My questions pertains to weather... Coldest winter temps, how long is the growing season (days above 50), when is the first frost in the fall and last frost in the spring... etc these are things to consider when deciding on grape varieties. but let me warn you that it will take 3-4 years before you can get useable crop off of a vine.

Assuming that you are west of the desert region of Washington and more in the cool rainy coastal area. I would recommend German white varietals like Riesling and gewurztraminer. Pinot Nior/Gris and Chardonnay from the Burgundy region of France are well suited for coastal areas but if you get a lot of cloud cover they may not ripen. Choose a varietal with loose clusters and thin some leaves around them if you get a lot of rain which causes rot. You will need to do your research on the right rootstock for your soil/climate, don't even think about going bare root; phylloxera will eat your grapes alive!

I personally think there are some areas where you shouldn't bother with winegrapes. It is quite difficult growing good grapes even in a suitable climate, there are so many factors and potential pitfalls. Living in a humid cloudy area you should probably think about other crops, maybe blackberries or cider apples.

I personally think there are some areas where you shouldn't bother with winegrapes. It is quite difficult growing good grapes even in a suitable climate, there are so many factors and potential pitfalls. Living in a humid cloudy area you should probably think about other crops, maybe blackberries or cider apples.

I disagree, there are over 10,000 varieties and hybrids of wine grapes in the world, coupled with the thousands of rootstocks there is certainly a combination coupled with the right management that can work for your location. I am growing Barbera and Tempranillo on 1103P rootstock in the blistering Sonroan Desert near Phoenix, AZ, on my 3rd vintage and the wine just keeps getting better each year. Many new wineries are cropping up all over and pushing the boundaries of viticulture, I would do a google map search for the closest vineyard near your location and ask what they recommend.

Your state university extension web sites should have up to date information on horticultural products for the area.

I'm sure you can grow winegrapes in a humid cloudy climate but would it be worth it? The wine won't taste very good and wine is cheap to buy. If you just want the satisfaction of making your own wine that is fine, but I think some people think making good wine is easy when it is actually fairly difficult.

A little late guys! I'm already planted, 5 different plants at random(basically all the stuff they sold at the local lowes) on the southern side of my shop. I figure i can plant serious in a couple years after these get established.

As for growing out here, i am on the wet side of the state but there are some local wineries that do grow locally so it cant be all bad. Ive been meaning to ask around at which varieties they grow but i havent had the chance.

Back