What filter unit for wort prior to primary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyWrench

Reaction score
Still putting some finishing touches on my RIMS design and I'll probably be installing a built-in/removable IC for the Keggle for simplicity (a'la The Pol). I want to be able to filter the hop bits/hot/cold break prior to going into the primary.

Now this filter may not take full boil temp (I don't know?), but with the IC, I can bring the temp down to around 170* and still be able to sterilize the filter, then recirculate the wort while cooling.

My real question is: Will one of these filters will be able to handle all of the hop/break without plugging? If not, maybe add a "sediment" filter before the filter unit? Now I'd not be using a 1micron filter or anything, probably a "coarse" filter.

Any other options that can actually take 10g of wort and it's break. I may have to utilize a hop screen to help minimize particulate.

Thanks!
Steve

There's only a pint or so of room in one of those housings once you put a filter in. I have a sneaking suspicion that even 170F wort will shatter the housing, but I'm not going to experiment. What you need is a whirlpool. This is an open can where the wort comes in at the bottom tangent to the side and flows out the top. The tangent entry causes the wort to spin and the particulates stay in the middle of the vortex.

Back