What fermenter to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4dtough

Reaction score
I recently got back into brewing after a few years away. I'm thinking about moving from buckets/carboys to something a little more advanced. I've been looking at the fermzilla and the anvil fermenter and want to stay in that price range. I like the idea of harvesting yeast and dry hopping in the fermzilla and I like the rotating racking arm in the anvil, the only problem with it that I can see is to see what you are doing with it you have to have the lid off which opens you up to oxygen. Any suggestions either way would be appreciated, and suggestions for other products too. Size is a bit of a limiting factor for my chamber, right now I'm using a refrigerator that I believe one of either would squeeze into but I'm working on building 2 so I can have a couple of brewers going at once without conflicting temps.

Was super excited for the fermzilla, but after I read it having a 2 year expiry date I think I am gonna stay clear. I would ignore it, but if something were to blow I dont want 6 gallons of beer on my floor. Can't believe in this age of technology that is the best we can do

I have two Fermzillas and I really, really like them. You do need to spend a bit more money to get them fully fitted out. You should buy the pressure kit ($20) and then another couple of carbonation caps for the collection container($10). The BlowTie spunding valve is helpful for pressure fermenting ($35).

You can buy another PET tank for $30 is it does "wear out".

For me, the benefits far out way any negatives. I also have a thermowell ($10), Temp Twister cooling coil ($40) and jacket($40). I added some heat tape and an Inkbird temperature controller ($50).

This gives me complete control over my fermentation.

If you would like more information on how I use the Fermzilla, just ask.

Cheers,
Wayne

I really like my anvil fermenters, I’m building a 10 gallon system now, so I’m getting rid of 1, but I’m keeping the others in case!

I have the cooling kit, and I put a heater under the neoprene.

I’m not sure what you need to see, I can pull samples from the bottom, and I dry hop like you would with anything else.

It just looks like with the rotating racking arm as you rotate it down to follow the bet at the end you could lose the siphon, maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.

I recently got back into brewing after a few years away. I'm thinking about moving from buckets/carboys to something a little more advanced. I've been looking at the fermzilla and the anvil fermenter and want to stay in that price range. I like the idea of harvesting yeast and dry hopping in the fermzilla and I like the rotating racking arm in the anvil, the only problem with it that I can see is to see what you are doing with it you have to have the lid off which opens you up to oxygen. Any suggestions either way would be appreciated, and suggestions for other products too. Size is a bit of a limiting factor for my chamber, right now I'm using a refrigerator that I believe one of either would squeeze into but I'm working on building 2 so I can have a couple of brewers going at once without conflicting temps.
You do not really need to "see" whats going on directly to use a racking arm correctly... You can use a small sight glass attached to the output to know when you have turned it to the correct angle without pulling up any trub. this is often how breweries use devices like this.

From a functional fermenter engineering stantpoint the fermzilla is the superior fermenter of the 2 you mentioned. The anvil does not have a way to dump the dead yeast and trub requiring you to transfer to a secondary fermenter to get the same quality of beer as you would from the fermzilla (the benfits of this vary with beerstyle).
It is a variant of a bucket fermenter and from a practical standpoint a person could use a bottling buckect the same way. The only advantages are durability against scratches the possibility it will hold co2 pressure better and cosmetics. The conical bottom is too shallow to serve a purpose beyond a marketing gimmick to limit trub/dead yeast surface area exposure and autolysis without a dump drain to help as you have on the fermzilla. a real 45degree stainless bottom conical with a dump drain would do all of this more effectively though comes at a sharp cost increase.
It just looks like with the rotating racking arm as you rotate it down to follow the bet at the end you could lose the siphon, maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.
You would be pushing with a slight amount of co2, otherwise your introducing oxygen anyways... (the co2 "blanket" dissolves and mixes with oxygen much quicker than many realize here.) otherwise it would be just as practical to use a auto siphon and pull from the top and use a regular plastic or glass bucket/carboy.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice, it does seem that the fermzilla is the better option. Too bad there seems to be some quality issues, but from other threads I have read, it seems like they are offering pretty good support for failures.
About the expiration date, Is it just the vessel itself that is giving up after a couple years?

Welcome back to brewing!! Although our Flex is going to be a little more than the options you're looking at it is highly upgradeable so as you progress you won't end up with an obsolete piece of equipment; Buy Once. Cry Once. Below is a link for more information. I believe the standard Flex would be a good starting out point for you.
https://spikebrewing.com/pages/flex

If you have additional questions please feel free to reach out directly to our customer support team! Jeff, Katie and Mike will be happy to help answer any questions you have!
https://spikebrewing.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

Welcome back to brewing!! Although our Flex is going to be a little more than the options you're looking at it is highly upgradeable so as you progress you won't end up with an obsolete piece of equipment; Buy Once. Cry Once. Below is a link for more information. I believe the standard Flex would be a good starting out point for you.
https://spikebrewing.com/pages/flex

If you have additional questions please feel free to reach out directly to our customer support team! Jeff, Katie and Mike will be happy to help answer any questions you have!
https://spikebrewing.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

I just purchased the spike CF-15, and yes it was more expensive then the others mentioned here...but as stated it’s a one time buy and can do everything you need in a unitank and do it well

I guess I just must be really old school or cheap..
But I've got a BSG brewing bucket that came from my LHBS with a gasketed lid and dual gaskets (inside and outside) of the spigot. I've done several batches in it after using glass and plastic carboys for years and also unported buckets.

I always disassemble and soap and sanitize immediately after each fermentation (used to use PBW in the glass carboy, but find it's not necessary in the bucket).

I've never had an infection. It's very easy to pop the lid and rack from the spigot into the keg. Next upgrade is to add a ball-lock keg post from Brewhardware so I can spund to <1psi, just for purposes of closed transfer to keg.

Well, I've always brewed pretty good beer but I'm looking to step it up a bit. I just dry hopped for the first time and after wrestling the lid off of a bucket, I realized I had probably just let a lot of oxygen in so I'm thinking I'd like to make that process a little more airtight.
Spike, I am intrigued by your flex fermenter, the price is more than I want to spend right now, but you do have me thinking about it. I did like how you can purchase the base and build from there.

Here's my take:
I had the Anvil fermenter, matter of fact two of them and both were returned. The issue was the quality of the interior of the fermenter. A lot of machining marks, some of which was deep enough where your fingernail would get caught in it. Both were sent back. Not sure if the QC issues have been resolved. In all honestly, the marks probably would not have been an issue but I didn't want to take a chance.
I ended up getting a SSBT Brew bucket. Much better quality, a bit more expensive but worth in in my opinion.

Last year I wanted a second fermenter so bought the Fermzilla. First one arrived and have issues with the collection cup sealing completely. Always had a drip here the cup attached to the fermenter. I tried keg lube and that didn't work. Returned it and received another, same issue. The second one also leaked from one of the side caps on the collection cups. At the time Morebeer didn't have the replacement seal that Kegland came out with to fix the leaking issue. Not sure if that completely solved the problem or not. Another issue i saw with the fermzilla it being difficult to handle. For example, it took a lot of effort to tighten the cup. Hand tightening would not work so had to use the strap tool, which made it difficult to get a good grip on the fermenter. This would also be an issue when the fermenter is full if you removed the collection cup to either dry hold or dump trub. Maybe the new seal helps.
I also didn't want to take the change of having a full fermenter, dumping trub or dry hopping then having trouble getting the collection cup to seal. Just wasnt worth the effort for me.
Kegland does have a new fermenter coming out called the All Rounder. Should be in the US around April. No collection cup and is a shorter foot print. Think I will try that one once it comes out.

There is also a snub nose fermenter that Northern Brewer sells. Might want to check that out. It doesn't have a collection cup but I really dont need it nor want the extra BS of trying to seal it up when full.

Just my .02. Take it with a grain of salt.

Brew703, thank you for that information. Like most people I want the most bang for the buck, but I don't want junk. I was thinking anvil would be a good option, since they were designed by Blichmann, but I guess a value line is what it is.
I am taking everyone's feedback into consideration and I appreciate engine taking their time to help me with this decision.
I had kinda been bouncing back and forth between those two, but now I'm wondering if I should wait a while and spend the money on something with more quality.

@4dtough For me, I want a fermenter I can pressure ferment in. People will say to ferment in a keg. Did that and it SUCKED. Too small, meaning you can only ferment 4.25 gal in a 5 gal keg.

I looked at Spike. I really like the Flex+ but it's only rated at 15 psi and once you add in all the extra's, it's close or over $500. At that price point might as well get a conical from Spike or Blickmann. That's when i started looking at the Fermzilla. Once the All Rounder comes out, I'm going to order that since they are rated at 35 PSI and I really don't care about dumping trub, harvesting yeast or DH through a collection cup. I make starters and harvest from that instead of after fermentation.

Not trying to sway your decision from the Fermzilla or the Anvil. Just wanted to post my experience with both. YouTube has several videos on the Fermzilla, if you haven't watched them yet.

Good luck in figuring out what you want. Plastic buckets are a good cheap option as are the PET carboys, which I do have. Only problem with those is they are a bit difficult to handle when full, especially the 6 gal ones. I have a carboy carrier and that helps but still a lot to lift into a ferm chamber.

Just to provide a contrary data point, I have an Anvil fermenter and think it's great. No issues at all, no tooling marks or shoddy parts. Does exactly what it's supposed to do at a decent price.

Well, I've always brewed pretty good beer but I'm looking to step it up a bit. I just dry hopped for the first time and after wrestling the lid off of a bucket, I realized I had probably just let a lot of oxygen in so I'm thinking I'd like to make that process a little more airtight.
Spike, I am intrigued by your flex fermenter, the price is more than I want to spend right now, but you do have me thinking about it. I did like how you can purchase the base and build from there.
I second the vote above to save for a real conical....The flex is cool but its really a mini brite tank in design functionality more than a fermenter. It really does depend on your process and brewing workflow though.
Honestly something like this is a good value and would be on my radar... its similar to the 3 conicals I already have.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conical-Fe...hash=item4b6d9898b8:m:mXWMT0wuMz7WVRYx9vT6HSw

Im really fascinated at the new fad thats going around with fermenting lagers under pressure at higher temps. Im still reading up about this and gathering all the infos I can, but there is even videos about this new process on youtube and it seems like the only option in my price range is the fermzilla stuff, they have a cheaper option with no blow off cup at the bottom, for $99. And since im not into harvesting yeast or anything like that, its seems like a solid buy. This also comes with everything you need, including pressure cap and all that.

This is huge if it actually works like the people doing it say it works? A solid, clear, lager with no off tastes and smells within a week or two? thats game changing IMO.

Other reason is you can now rack directly to your keg under pressure so your beer never sees O2 again until it hits your glass. This is a huge bonus in of itself IMO.

Other than that I just use carboys for my stuff.

Thanks for all of the input, I have decided to give the fermzilla a shot for the short term and later on buy either a spike cf or an ss chronical.

I have two Fermzillas and I really, really like them. You do need to spend a bit more money to get them fully fitted out. You should buy the pressure kit ($20) and then another couple of carbonation caps for the collection container($10). The BlowTie spunding valve is helpful for pressure fermenting ($35).

You can buy another PET tank for $30 is it does "wear out".

For me, the benefits far out way any negatives. I also have a thermowell ($10), Temp Twister cooling coil ($40) and jacket($40). I added some heat tape and an Inkbird temperature controller ($50).

This gives me complete control over my fermentation.

If you would like more information on how I use the Fermzilla, just ask.

Cheers,
Wayne
How well does the temp twister work?

I am considering the 60L all rounder with a temp twister. I plan to only use it for ales and will cool with a reservoir of 40Fish water.

I'm super happy with my ported Fermonsters. They hold up well, I only ever clean them out with an O-Cello sponge and hot PBW to avoid scratching, then a bleach soak, rinse, dry and store upside down, then give them a thorough swish of StarSan on brew day. Never had an infection in more than 3 dozen batches.

Last edited:
How well does the temp twister work?

I am considering the 60L all rounder with a temp twister. I plan to only use it for ales and will cool with a reservoir of 40Fish water.

I use it with a small glycol unit that holds the cooling liquid at 28F. It will drop the temperature of the fermenting beer from 68F to 38F in about an hour.

I am not sure if there is an insulating jacket for the All rounder, but I find it helps with the Fermzilla.

Cooling is all about the ambient temperature the vessel is in and the temperature of the cooling liquid. You might be able to get to 50F, but you will have a fairly long lag time.

Thanks for the information @Wayne1. I am just looking to try and keep the temp in check not to crash the beer. It only getting to about 80F for a few hours a day during the hottest time of the year where I ferment beer. Most of the time the temp is closer to 70F or lower.

I am guessing they will have a insulated jacket for the 60L soon, but it also looks like the jacket for the 55L version might work in a pinch.

00j0j_4dN4QQwVQH6_600x450.jpg

I recently bought this 55L Fermzilla from a local member here in Colorado.

It was too good a deal to pass up. I have not plumbed it into my glycol system yet, but that will happen soon.

Just posting this to give you an idea of what it looks like with the coiling coil installed. I do suggest you use the thermo probe and use an Inkbird controller. I will also recommend you get at least one extra fermentation lid in case you mess up drilling the holes for the TempTwister. I needed one.

I also suggest you get the plastic pressure kit.

00j0j_4dN4QQwVQH6_600x450.jpg

I recently bought this 55L Fermzilla from a local member here in Colorado.

It was too good a deal to pass up. I have not plumbed it into my glycol system yet, but that will happen soon.

Just posting this to give you an idea of what it looks like with the coiling coil installed. I do suggest you use the thermo probe and use an Inkbird controller. I will also recommend you get at least one extra fermentation lid in case you mess up drilling the holes for the TempTwister. I needed one.

I also suggest you get the plastic pressure kit.
Good idea on getting a second cap incase of trouble drilling.

The stainless pressure kit is about $10 more, is there a reason to choose plastic other than price?

Latest posts

Back