What equipment is needed for adding proper oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTRPL

Reaction score
So Ive been reading that a good strong ale with belgian stains of yeast need ample oxygen (pure oxygen) added to give the yeast a good jump start and produce the proper flavors. My question is, what equipment has people used to do this and what type of store can it be found in? I realize that this may get alot of people sayin "this process is not necessary" but this is what I want to do so please give replies that answer the question. ;)

I use this system from Williams Brewing and it works great. I like it because the wand is a one piece stainless unit easy to sanitize and I can put O2 where I want it. Getting the stone with just hose is unwieldy and you end up cannibalizing a racking cane or dip tube to do the same.

S78.JPG

WILLIAM'S OXYGEN AERATION SYSTEM @ Williams Brewing

You can find oxygen systems designed for brewing at most LHBS or online brewing suppliers. Here is a start.

There are basically three methods to achieve your goal:
1. shaking/stirring (cheapest)
2. aquarium type pump and air stone (next cheapest, adds up to 8ppm oxygen)
3. oxygen system using the little red bottles from the hardware store designed for plumbing (most expensive, adds up to 12ppm)

Good oxygenation is essential for making good beer, no matter what the style. Some people shake their wort to put O2 into solution, and some people use an aquarium and airstone to pumpe O2 into their wort.

Some people even buy O2 Tanks and pump O2 into their wort using an airstone. This is probably the most effective method out of them all. As far as I know, the only necessary items are an O2 cylinder and regulator, some plastic tubing, and a Stainless Airstone. I think you can buy the airstone at a couple of online LHBSs.

Many of the online sites like Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew Supply and Midwest Supply to name a few have the equipment for O2 aeration.

You need a tank which would be shipped empty some vinyl tubing of the right diameter and an aeration stone. There may some extras, necessary or optional that I don't know about since this is fairly low on my list so someone else will probably add more definite information.

I use an aeration stone, with an oxygen regulator such as: Oxygenation Partial System | MoreBeer

It uses O2 bottles that you get at your home improvement store (Lowe's, Depot, etc). Check your local or preferred online homebrew shop.

Other folks use a medical oxygen tank / regulator. But, I think you need to get a prescription to obtain these.

Back