what equipment do i need to make a more consistent brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanc525

Reaction score
Ok... so here's the deal. I've made a couple kit brews and then quickly went to A.G. I use a rectangular igloo cooler as a mash tun (didn't use round cause I'm a rebel) I use an aluminum pot from my turkey fryer and the subsequent burner (never used for frying) and then the usual plastic pals (not so much anymore) and glass carboys... I recently bought a single helix chiller as apposed to the double helix I had borrowed (single is worthless I was spoiled with the double). I have a hard time getting my temps close to where they should be for mash or sparge. Your assistance is greatly appreciated and you will also be glad to know that I have single-handedly converted several busch light drinkers to a better beer with my dogfish 90 minute ipa clone and my Belgium cherry dubbel.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Not sure if your asking for general equipment or specific to AG, but i've found the couple of things that have taken my beers to the next level is temperature control and healthy starters. I'm low-budget in my apartment so just swamp coolers for me, but a fridge/freezer plus temp controller would be pretty ideal for any brewer if you got the space.

The mash temps sound like technique...
.Preheat the cooler?
.Use consistent math?
.Is the Cooler sized Right for the mash size?

The equipment...
.Is the thermometer calibrated and tested?
.Is the cooler well insulated?

Finally, more important than the mash... I'd think that pitching healthy yeast and controlling fermentation temperatures would get you the most consistent beer.

Dabeers hit the nail on the head. The two things most brewers over look are proper pitching rate and temperature control. However, I'd say some form of temperature control will work wonders for your beer. In my experience, warm fermentations lead to that 'homebrew taste' that turns most people off to homebrewed beer.

I think what helped me be consistent is a mill. Let me explain. Suppose you dream up an awesome beer and go to brew it but miss your OG high/low the beer you just made will e vastly different than what you dreamed up. If you can crush consistently then you can dial in your efficiency and nail it ipso facto being able to brew what you design and, moreover, brew it again whenever you want and have it be the same ( provided you ferment at the same temp etc etc etc)

Excellent points thank you! Perhaps I should have mentioned this before but, in a few previous brews the yeast went nuts and blew out of the airlock... first time in the closet and the wife still gives me $#!+ about it, second it was 3am and I was at work. It woke the dog who woke the baby and you know the rest.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Dang dogs! Time to invest in a blow off tube my friend. Then swap to airlock after the storm has calmed

The only piece of equipment you need to make consistant beer is a process.

I also brew in aluminum, with a rectangular tun, I have a single burner set-up, and I brew very consistently. I have received several praises from a BJCP National Master that my pilsner is excellent, and I get compliments on my beer from many BJCP credentialed individuals. My favorite comment from friends is "your beer is better than anything we can buy".

The main point being... you can brew great beer on "cheap" equipment and you can brew absolute crap on the best systems. You process and your ability to repeat results will determine your consistentcy.

If you want consistent and good beer, you should look into yeast starters, aeration, and proper temperature control. I have a chest freezer with a digital temperature controller, and it works great. The chest freezer and yeast starters are better than any shiny piece of equipment when it comes to consistent, good beer.

Back