what else can I do with a growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pricelessbrewing

Brewer's Friend Software Manager
Reaction score
Situation: Swmbo bought me a game of thrones growler.
I don't have a keg.

Ideas:
Store still cider in.
Use for yeast slurry/starters.
Will not use for bottling as I'd rather not have shards.

Anything else?
Can I use as primary/secondary??

Dont ever use this to store any yeast slurrys in. It can pressurize and explode with an immense amount of force. Using it for primary or secondary is fine, but dont use it for anything that can put pressure on it.

I use a growler to make starters. Just use aluminum foil over the top as opposed to somethin that might make it explode (by containing the pressure and not allowing gases to release).

So far it has worked great. But I agree, if used incorrectly it can be bad.

I'd make a mead in it. Make it and forget about it for a year.

A growler can be on the receiving end of a blow-off hose.

I've also enjoyed have my grower filled with other people's draft beer and cider.

Use it for a kind of yeast harvesting - When I decant a starter out of a one-gallon jug, I usually pour the first 1/2 gallon of decanted stuff into a clear growler. I then let the growler settle in the fridge for a day or so and build up a nice layer of yeast at the bottom. I then decant the top and pour the fresh slurry into a mason jar. It helps to put a mark on the growler so you know the perfect amount to decant in order to wind up with one full mason jar.

The only thing you can do now is convince your wife that you need a kegging set up so you can use that cool growler she gave you. :D

I use mine for yeast starters and use an airlock just like I do on a carboy.
I've also used it as a blowoff jug too.

I've been using my growlers for yeast starters. They work well. I need to take it up to my LHBS and find a blow off hose I can show through the mouth so I can use it for small test batches.

Back