What do you Think??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igorstien

Reaction score
I was out of town over the last couple of days and on my way back home I stopped into a LHBS to see if there selection differed from my home town. The Selection wasn't too different but a Kit was on Sale ....WOOHOO!!

Anyway, the Kit I purchased is a Festa Brew Red Ale. Basically it is a 23 Litre full wort kit, where you just have to added the yeast....I know, Boring.........

Talking to the owner he mentioned that I should not leave the brew in the secondary for more than a week or I would ruin it. That sounds a bit nuts to be since I've left other brews in the secondary for a couple of months without problems. The kit just mentions "more than 2 days"

Second, the instructions in the kit, mention filtering the beer using a cartridge or pad kit (much like a wine filtering unit i assume). Has anyone had any experience or thoughts on this. I've quickly search on filtering but the topic is.......Shall we say...Up in the air!!

Any help???

Thanks
IGOR

Well...Yes I would agree with that....except it's the Festa Brew Instructions that mention the filtering.

I can us my Father-in-laws filter (he makes wine), but I unsure If I really want to do this. It seems like a way to add O2 to the beer.

Nevermind.

After further investigation the kit came with two instruction sets. I just assumed they were copies and never really looked at the second on until now.

The first instructions were for BOP/U-Brew, and the second set is for homebrew.

I find that wierd and disturbing!!!!

What is BOP/U-Brew? I'm trying to understand what is weird and disturbing about that.

From my knowledge (limited at that)....It's for "brew on Premises". We have a couple of spots in town where you buy the kits and pay the store to do all the hard work for you. All you have to do is dump the yeast and bottle, and only because that's the law.

I guess it's not disturbing, but I guess I figured the instructions would be the same. Looking through both instructions there is a lot of variation. Like the filtering and the bottling techniques and the time for aging. Basically for teh BOP/U-brew instructions it says you can pretty much drink this immediately with no aging.

I'll try to take a pic or scan both instructions and post them for people to see....If people want??

IGOR

God man, you live in Freddy Town. Besides Halifax, the brewing centre of Atlantic Canada. Home of the Big Strange New Brunswick Brew http://barleyment.wort.ca/article.php?story=20060509080456885
There a lot of local people you can be in contact with who live and breathe
the making of homebrew.
Were I to live where you do, would make me visit these guys and see how they brew. At the very least join the group on-line for some interesting chats.

Cheers

Igorstien said:
I guess it's not disturbing, but I guess I figured the instructions would be the same. Looking through both instructions there is a lot of variation. Like the filtering and the bottling techniques and the time for aging. Basically for teh BOP/U-brew instructions it says you can pretty much drink this immediately with no aging.

I'll try to take a pic or scan both instructions and post them for people to see....If people want??

IGOR

I'm mildly interested in why the instructions would differ, but I don't want you to go to the trouble to post them. Just looking at the instructions you have, can you tell if the BOP/U-Brew method includes desirable steps or efficiencies that a home-brewer likely wouldn't be able to do? In other words, is the homebrewer instructions a simplified subset of the BOP/U-Brew, intended to fit the conditions of home brewing? I could see that, but otherwise it would seem odd to be different.

Are you going to bottle the beer or keg? I wouldn't recomend trying to filter the beer. If the beer is still cloudy at the end of fermentation, you might use a clarifying agent. Chitosan or super clear would work. If you are going to keg, the cold will drop most of the sediment out when you put it down. If you are going to bottle, you dont want to completely drop everything out of suspension, you may have a hard time priming.

They differ becasue u-brew is all about getting the beer out of the ubrew as fast as possible. Aging a beer one week then fitering it, and banging it out into cans or bottles frees up carboys and roon on premises.

Around here it's generally 1 week primary, 2 weeks cold room, filter then bottle/can.

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
They differ becasue u-brew is all about getting the beer out of the ubrew as fast as possible. Aging a beer one week then fitering it, and baging iit out into cans or bottles frees up carboys and roon on premises.

Around here it's generally 1 week primary, 2 weeks cold room, filter then bottle/can.

Now that makes sense. Faster turnover means more profits. I shoulda thought of that.

Back