What do you think would happen if I put caramelized apples into my secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Meister_General

Reaction score
Try to caramelize them as much as possible to avoid any fermentation and them dip them in for however many days.

I'm looking for apple and toffee flavours and thought this might be interesting.

Would that create pectin issues?

Are there steeping or specialty grains that you can use to get toffee flavors? Maybe that and a little apple juice would be better.

Would that create pectin issues?

Are there steeping or specialty grains that you can use to get toffee flavors? Maybe that and a little apple juice would be better.

I know pectin is caused by boiling but im not sure about frying, maybe I could do it on a lower heat for an extended.

I was planning on adding some steeped/boiled Crystal 400 but thought caramelized apples might be more interesting then plain apples.

Carmelized apples like cooked in a pan with sugar? Or apples with caramel over them?

Either way, I doubt it would turn out anything close to what you want. IMO, best way to get toffee flavor would be from selecting the right types of crystal malts and the best way to get apple flavor would be from blending in some cider with the beer. It would also help to use a belgian yeast that is known for apple esters (maybe duvel)

Maybe boil some apple juice concentrate till it caramelizes....

I'm totally gonna try these things when it comes to my 5 litre mini batches but with my 25 litre I thought I'd just play it safe and keep my toffee bitter from becoming a toffee apple bitter (though it does sound good).

If I had planned this better I would of just made an extract with some apples and vodka.

Back