What do you think of this recipe? - Maple Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigH78

Reaction score
Trying to come up with a nice Maple Brown Ale recipe and would like to know what you guys/gals think. I love Maple so would like something that has a good Maple taste but also don't want something that tastes more like candy/soda than beer. So here is where I'm at..

6.5 lb Pale Ale 2 Row
.5 lb Crystal 60
.5 lb Munich 20L

1oz Cascade @ 60 for 18 IBU
1oz Cascade @ 5 for ~ 4 IBU

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

3 lb Maple Syrup in primary

I average about 80% efficiency with my fly sparge setup so am looking at about..
OG - 1.057
FG - 1.014

I'm thinking mashing at ~154 for 75 min. My real head scratcher is the Munich. I love the flavor but wonder if it would make it too sweet, but at a half pound, that's not much. I thought about replacing it with Victory but I've never used that so not sure of the taste. Grain bill feels a little light to me but again, not looking to make something crazy sweet or take away from the Maple. What about some Special B (again something I've never used so dunno)?

What do you think?

Craig

Maple syrup is HIGHLY fermentable. You'll be suprised by the final outcome. It'll up your alcohol a ton, but not leave you with much flavor. If you really want a maple flavor, find an extract flavoring...

If you like the maple flavor, try using maple extract instead of syrup. The syrup will ferment out just like raw sugar and leave you with a dry beer without much (if any) maple flavor. The extract will give a nice maple flavor and finish.

It depends on what flavoring you buy. I would suggest taking a commercial beer that's about the same as the base beer you're making, and add a few drops of extract until it's just right. Then just scale up to 5 gallons.

Back