What do you prefer more in your LHBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you prefer most in your LHBS?

• Variety / Supply of goods

• Knowledgeable staff

• Organization

• Price

• Location, location, location

• Being dedicated to homebrewing

Results are only viewable after voting.
The closest home brew store to me is two hours away and I have no idea what their offerings are. However, if there was one within a reasonable distance, it would be variety of goods.

I voted variety/supply of goods. If it was within a reasonable distance I wouldn't care where the location was.

I would say that I would prefer my lhbs to be dedicated to homebrewing since if they truly are then all those other ingredients (wide variety, knowledgeable, etc) will fall into place. Honestly, I don't see how someone could be passionate about homebrewing and run a crappy lhbs, I'm sure it's happened however.

Every lhbs I have been to has been staffed by a bunch of f*#%ing idiots. the employees @ beers of the world are the worst bunch of a@# holes I have ever had the chance to deal with I would rather drill a F*^(ing hole in my head that listen to them try and tell me anything about beer. I was told a 200 year old brewery had closed, thanks a lot d*ckhead. Those F*cking clowns at sunset are not much better. I order 95% of my supplies online.

I feel very lucky here. There are 2 LHBS within a 30 minute drive for me. As for one, it is only mediocre in all catefories. Staff that hopes you wont bother them, poor selection of supplies, high prices. However, my choice LHBS is owner operated. He is a dedicated homebrewer and very knowledgable. He only carries supplies that work and will not try to sell you something you dont need. All of his ingredients are FRESH and kits are all made in-house. All this and his prices are at par or lower than anything I can find on the internet. If this isnt reason enough to never move away, i dont know what is.

Variety first, price next. I didn't vote in the poll, because it won't let you rank & choose multiple criteria.

I am in a position of relying mostly on Internet sources for my homebrewing supplies. The only local retailer carrying homebrew stuff does do in the corner of a giant liquor store megamart. There's no one knowledgeable there, and, far worse, no way to know how long stuff sits around.
I'm fortunate, though, in that sources like Midwest and Northern Brewer have very fast shipping times to me, and they're also very good at having what I need. The worst part is shipping charges on the large stuff, like 50 lb. bags of malt. The closest "wholesaler" for those things, Mid-Country Malt, is in Fenton, MO, too far away for me to justify driving.

Price is my first consideration. For the most part, my lhbs charges more than online stores so I don't go there too often. I just can't justify driving to the store, and paying more money for something that I can order online from my house and get cheaper. Most of the time I go there for small odds and ends that would be pointless to make an entire order online for. I buy ingredients from them sometimes when I get that "I need to brew now" feelings. I don't recall ever having problems with them, and they will always come up and offer me help.

I've got one 7 minutes away from my home but its messy and extremely pricey. Pity because I would like to support local businesses but I get a better deal online with shipping and all.

I like my place cause they have what I want and know what they are talking about.

I pay a lot more than online - but I can drive over, get everything, and get brewing. I have yet to order online cause I want these guys to stay in business.

Back