What do you love/hate about your LHBS??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LHBS is BevArt aka "Brew and Grow" in Bolingbrook, IL.

Love:

The homebrew "guy" (Bob, I believe) is extremely knowledgeable, kind, and eager to help. I believe he used to work for Goose Island Brewery. Always offers samples of his brews, which he brews in house for instructional classes, etc. Haven't had a bad one yet.

Large selection of grains, yeast, and equipment.

Hate:

(Hate is kind of a strong word, more like dislike):

It's also a grow shop, and thus is frequently filled with people obviously buying equipment for marijuana growing (not that I care, the crowd just adds to the checkout time!)

Not a big selection of grains in bulk, which is what I tend to buy to save money. 2-Row, Pils, yes. Others, not so much. I often find myself buying several 5lb bags of base malts instead of a 50lb sack.

I once got yelled at for looking for yeast in the fridge myself.. the employee explained that they have had problems with people accidentally activating smack packs (they only sell Wyeast liquid yeast.) I kind of understand their reasoning on this one.

Closed on Sunday. I always brew on Sundays, and am pretty sure many a homebrewer does the same. I could've used them many a time when I ended up short on ingredients, need a quick fix, etc. for my brew. If anything, they should be closed on Monday or something like that - I really think they are losing about 50% of their homebrew business by being closed on Sundays.

Bob is super nice and accommodating, but unfortunately this sometimes leads him to helping newbs for a long time, when I just need a keg O-ring or something simple. (Really a petty gripe)

I bought a keg from them marked as good and it does not hold pressure. Before I could return it, they changed their policy on kegs to "no refunds". I don't know where they get their kegs but most are really badly beat up.

That's all.. overall, a pretty good LHBS.

overflow said:

Love:

The homebrew "guy" (Bob, I believe) is extremely knowledgeable, kind, and eager to help. I believe he used to work for Goose Island Brewery. Always offers samples of his brews, which he brews in house for instructional classes, etc. Haven't had a bad one yet.

Hate:

It's also a grow shop, and thus is frequently filled with people obviously buying equipment for marijuana growing (not that I care, the crowd just adds to the checkout time!)

Not a big selection of grains in bulk, which is what I tend to buy to save money. 2-Row, Pils, yes. Others, not so much. I often find myself buying several 5lb bags of base malts instead of a 50lb sack.

I once got yelled at for looking for yeast in the fridge myself.. the employee explained that they have had problems with people accidentally activating smack packs (they only sell Wyeast liquid yeast.) I kind of understand their reasoning on this one.

Closed on Sunday. I always brew on Sundays, and am pretty sure many a homebrewer does the same. I could've used them many a time when I ended up short on ingredients, need a quick fix, etc. for my brew. If anything, they should be closed on Monday or something like that - I really think they are losing about 50% of their homebrew business by being closed on Sundays.

Bob is super nice and accommodating, but unfortunately this sometimes leads him to helping newbs for a long time, when I just need a keg O-ring or something simple. (Really a petty gripe)

I bought a keg from them marked as good and it does not hold pressure. Before I could return it, they changed their policy on kegs to "no refunds". I don't know where they get their kegs but most are really badly beat up.

You're too nice...that stuff would bug the hell outta me...especially the kegs...don't sell kegs that don't hold pressure...and put up a sign about the yeast.

Personally, I like being able to check manufacture dates prior to buying my yeast, as i've had to pass on a few less used styles.

i have a few places to go that are close to me but i am fearcly loyal to one id like to check your place out once you are open but i can tell you whatever you do dont just sell prefabbed kits and be ready for asses like me walking threw your door and asking what kinda strange **** can u sell me today. the place i go to the prices are for the most part cheaper then i can find online and i can go in to the store and ask anything and they always help. so help me if you treat your customers right thell do anything in the world for you . if i could get by with it id sing the praises of aaron and rod and the shop they own every day on this forum

few observations on my LHBS
1) would say at least 30% of bidness is wine making; probably more. If you are going to open a store, would definitely include (or at least the ability to order) all the wine stuff.
2) They let you find, weigh and mill all the grain yourself. But are there to help do all that stuff as well. For extract, you can bring in your own containers for a discount. Everything else is self serve (or they will help) as well.
3) Usually lots of employees around to help check out, find stuff, help with a recipe or whatever. You are never waiting too long to check is the main point.
4) they carry lots of odds and ends for brewing equipment. hoses, O-rings, keg connections, stuff like that. Comes in very handy for last minute brew rescues when getting something shipped is not an option.
5) very rarely have i needed a grain that they don't have in stock. Hops are a different story, but they do have a decent selection of pellet hops and a small stock of leaf.

After reading some of these posts I'm thinking my LHBS could improve. Free samples of beer would be at the top of my wish list!

You're too nice...that stuff would bug the hell outta me...especially the kegs...don't sell kegs that don't hold pressure...and put up a sign about the yeast.

Personally, I like being able to check manufacture dates prior to buying my yeast, as i've had to pass on a few less used styles.

I suppose you're right. They did eventually put up a sign on on the fridge about the yeasts. Reading the rest of the thread, I did think of one more gripe..

Only their growing supplies are listed on their website. No listing of homebrew supplies whatsoever, even when they have a pretty good selection. Why, I have no clue.

My LHBS, All Seasons, has a great selection of grains and they're always willing to double crush for my BIAB setup. They have a wide variety of whole and pellet hops, too. Only downer is that all their brewing gear is WAY cheaper online. But, that's to be expected.

Dude, if you think All Seasons is actually good, then you really, really need to make the drive up to Rebel Brewer.

I normally only get specialty grains and buckets, brewing salts, cheaper equipment from my LHBS. The one thing I really appriciate about them is they sell grains by the ounce. Sometimes you don't need but a few ounces for a recipe and don't get stuck with the rest of the pound like at other places.

An idea is to have a few binders with instruction pages for example BIAB instructions and equipment list on the bottom. Its something that if you had an employee that did not know, they could just print off a few pages from the binder and you would be able to help your customer still. This is often had on the internet, but if you can get a little extra business because people don't want to look online, why complain.

My local store is disorganized, and the owner is a bit gruff. One day I went there with the express need of malt extraction I bought two (2) three-pound bags. I got home and threw them on the scale and they were 5lbs total. I wrote an annoyed letter to northwestern food in Germantown and they sent me a free bag because obviously they goofed.

Anyway, northern brewer is about an hour from me but on the way home from work it's not too far out of my way. They're very nice and helpful and I've found some of their retail prices lower than the catalog. It's the first hobby-type store I didn't feel unwanted at. As an aside, I once had a 9mm pistol pulled on me as a "joke" at a radio controlled helicopter store in oak creek. Haha hilarious....

Don't get full of it with beer making classes. Do workshops like High Gravity in Tulsa. The owner does a laid back informal workshop once or twice a month. The amount of crap I read on-line about infections, off flavors, stuck fermentations, hot side aeration and every other worry Palmer published made me hesitant to take up the hobby. When I went to the workshop and saw that it is easier than people want to believe I bought my first equipment kit and two recipes.

There are 2 LHBS stores near where I live. One of them I like much more than the other.

The "farther" one has convenient parking, and the store has plenty of space, but the staff is always busy crushing grain, getting stuff from the stock room, and they seem to cater more to the winemaking / brewing "kit" crowd than the homebrew "geek". Their yeast selection is lacking and poorly displayed in the fridge. Their prices are not any better than what I could get online. However, they do offer homebrewing classes and again, they do have a good selection of kits for folks just starting out. Good for newbies.

The other store, while closer, is in a part of town that's always crowded with traffic and pedestrians.

Love: Their grain selection. They have just about everything (except for when it's out of stock, which is rare). It's self-serve, scoop out of bins or pour from containers clearly labeled with the name and lovibond rating, with several scales and 2 grain mills available for use.

Their hops selection. They carry a decent selection of leaf and pellet, clearly displayed and well organized in a new fridge (they replaced the old one in January).

Their yeast selection. They have the various yeast "guides" next to the fridge, they're well organized, and the store usually carries at least a couple of the "limited edition" series Wyeast and White Labs strains.

The staff. For the most part, they're friendly and helpful. Sometimes they know the "style" I'm trying to brew and have offered good advice. At the very least they seem to all be homebrewers themselves and are full of "opinions" which is at the least - interesting. I would compare these guys to old school record store employees - some of their advice is more amusing than helpful, but at least they're not rude.

Dislike: This store location is in a part of town that's a pain in the butt to get around. I try to go during "off hours" when there is less traffic. Since the OP said he was in Columbus, think of the area near campus - on street parking, lots of traffic and one way streets, etc. (I used to live in Grandview, and spent way too much time hanging in Grandview, or near campus - all those used record stores, good places to get cheap food, etc.)

It's almost always too crowded on weekends - so much so that you really have to know what you're looking for before you go, have a list, and know where to find it.

Equipment in stock. Their prices on equipment are fair, but it's somewhat of a pain to "shop" for stuff. If they're not too crowded you can just "ask" one of the guys if they have what you need - easier than trying to find it yourself.

This store is very much set up for the all-grain experienced brewers who know exactly what they need. I've seen some of the newer folks struggle a bit with "I want to brew a stout" and then waiting for one of the employees to be not too busy to help them.

Don't get me wrong, I really think this store is great - but I hate driving there and hate how crowded it is most of the time I'm in there.

My LHBS is competitive with online ordering as far as grain prices go. They are a little pricey when it comes to equipment but considering that you can have the equipment that day instead of waiting for shipping I see that as a trade off.

What I enjoy the most about my lhbs is that since the water is here extremely hard they have their own RO system and will throw in free water and brewing salts if you are picking up a grain bill. All they ask is that you bring a container for your water.

The only thing i would say I don't like is the crush. My efficiency went up 30% when I got my own mill. Otherwise they have tons of different grains,hops and yeast

My LHBS has aged hops. Haven't made a actual plambic yet, but when I do, that will be a HUGE asset. I was truly surprised they had these, incredible!

My LHBS

http://www.homebrewinparadise.com/Index.aspx

Has :
1-Eight choices of DME/LME
2-Thirty choices of Hops
3-Fourty two choices of Grains
4-Twent four choices of Liquid Yeast
5-Seven choices of Dry Yeast

Lots of other supplies to keep a brewer happy. Plus you can weigh your own grains from the 5 gallon buckets and buy as little as 1 on.

Need I go on? :mug:

Bump. So here's a new thought - there's a lot of LHBS that are 'multipurpose'. The better one close to me has takeaway pizza, as well as a well stocked beer and wine shop.

What is the craziest, most innovative, unique shop you have seem paired with a homebrew store?

Well I have to say I love everything about mine. Everything in stock and good prices.

I like pretty much everything about mine, but if you happen to go when there are a few other people there being helped you can end up having to hang out for it bit before someone can help you (even just to pay for your stuff). Not really a huge deal though aside from the fact that the longer I hang out the more money I end up spending.

There is one by me that sells grain only by the oz or by the 55lb sack. Buying the amount I need for a batch there costs me twice as much as if I go to another store. $.16/oz adds up very quickly. I hate this place because of that. They also have one mill that is adjustable and everyone is messing with it. The dial also has no markings, so you have to eye the distance between the rollers. I always have to double or triple crush my grains because of this. It's impossible to have consistent results without a consistent crush. I've only gone there a few times because they are the only one opened on sunday. The staff have no clue what they are doing and know absolutely nothing. I've overheard them telling a customer that the longer you boil hops, the more flavor and "smell" you get out of them.

The other one near me is wonderful. Excellent ingredients all year round. No complaints at all. The staff know about the grains they carry and the basic process that goes into the different types of malted grains. They obviously enjoy what they are doing and are interested in brewing.

One thing that I've heard of some LHBS doing is having homebrew tastings in the store. I realize you'd probably have to have a license to do this, but I'd really enjoy tasting beer made by the staff or other shoppers. I also love the idea of mixing the bottle store with the LHBS. I'd love to be able to fill a growler with local brew while picking up my grains.

We have some in WI that do the tastings. Sometimes it's their kits, sometimes it's recipes from BYO. The state legislature is trying to clarify our home brewing law to allow for this, too. It's ambiguous right now.

Bump. So here's a new thought - there's a lot of LHBS that are 'multipurpose'. The better one close to me has takeaway pizza, as well as a well stocked beer and wine shop.

What is the craziest, most innovative, unique shop you have seem paired with a homebrew store?

BevArt seems to do a lot of classes and I imagine that is a significant addition to their business. Also, the owner also is a beekeeper and the owner of Wild Blossom, a commercial winery/meadery in Chicago. His meads are exceptionally good.

beerandloathinginaustin said:
I think a class where you walk people through the process or a setup so people could come and brew their own batch would be nice.

Offer a Groupon for a beginner class and you'll make a KILLING through gift sales, many of which will never be turned in.

Don't teach classes during business hours unless you have ample staff.

Best of luck!

The number one thing I like about my LHBS is that their prices are not super great, but they are competitive with the internet. Everything that I have looked up on the internet to compare prices, has been about the same as the LHBS price, so now I don't even bother. It's nice to be able to go to a store and see some widget for $X, and not have worry if it's a competitive price or a total gouge. So unlike most of my other specialized hobbies (radio control, photography, hunting/outdoors) I don't even bother with the internet, and buy everything through LHBS, all because they have proven to me that they actually know what the current market prices of goods are and that they make an efford to not gouge, which is all I ask.

And the advice is free, and that's worth something right there.

My small advice...

1. Keep a decently stocked library with a variety of up to date book titles available.

2. Frequently check the prices that your competitors charge. People will not patronize you if they can get their product shipped in from across the country for a lower price. Unlike the old days, your competition will now be nationwide.

I don't use my LHBS all that much. The prices are just too high. It's not real convenient for me to get to, so I end up getting a lot of stuff online or group buys through our club.

I usually only go there when I don't have time to order online. I do buy my yeast there when it's too hot to ship. They do carry a decent selection of yeasts and grains. I haven't been all that happy with their hop selection.

You mentioned doing propane fills. I can't imagine this would be cost effective. Dealing with the regulations and insurance costs for doing this would make it more trouble than it's worth.

Love:

Hate:

I talked to Bob at MWBF and he told me they let him go and hired a kid to take his place.

My LHBS is about 20 minutes away from my parent's house (where I do most of my brewing anyways), and I'm very impressed with their service and selection. While they aren't an online supplier by any means, they still have just about everything I need, when I need it. I haven't really dealt there much other than picking up supplies, but their prices are pretty competitive with online prices + shipping. And even if it means I spend $10 more when I'm picking up a bunch of supplies and ingredients compared to ordering online, I'd rather support the local guy when I can, especially since their service is always polite and helpful.

So what I like? Knowledgeable staff, wide selection of ingredients (since that's what you're going to be forgetting about last minute on brew day) and decent selection of equipment.

What would I like to see? Try to tailor your prices to be competitive with online vendors after shipping has been considered. While not possible with everything, try to do it with things like base malt and basic equipment.

is this near rolla? what is the name of the store?

I love I can get fresh ingredients, and relatively (in comparison to online) quick fulfillment of last minute needs. I love that real people work there who I can interact with and who I respect. I'm not too thrilled about the street price and tax. I'm not too thrilled that the shop looks like a dilapidated shack.

In my opinion a lhbs is selling an environment and gathering spot, not just equipment and ingredients. Kinda like a bar. I can buy a 6pak at the grocery store for what a pint costs at the bar. Likewise almost everything home brew related is cheaper on-line. So, why go to a bar/lhbs if its more convenient and cheaper on the Internet. I think its because we are social animals. So try to encourage an environment that encourages socialization.

Other than this make sure to keep it clean. After all beer IS food, and I wont buy food if the store is nasty.

This is a really interesting discussion. I started brewing overseas (Japan) and had to order everything from MoreBeer.

I got to visit my first LHBS in Portsmouth, NH about 6 months ago and it was awesome. I spent an hour asking every question I could think of and eyeballing every item, book, & ingrediemt in the well-lit and well-stocked store. The employee Alex turned out to be the owner and he was really patient and helpful. I was already gearing up to build an AG setup so he took me in the brewing room and showed me their electric DIY hard-piped 2 tier keggle setup. It was amazing. They had a huge selection of base malts/grains as well as specialty malts and you can grind in the store. In one visit, this store earned my loyalty and I live 2 hrs away! Any chance I get, I head up to A&G Homebrew Supply. If you are serious about starting a LHBS, you should buy a plane ticket and check out A&G. They are doing it right.

When I got back to my home state, I started shopping around, expecting to find the same thing.

The first "lhbs" was one aisle of a hardware store full of extract kits and bottle cappers.

The second was a dingy 70s cave run by a total stoner.

The third was closed because they are only open 3hrs per day...prob will never go back.

Finally, I found one about 30min to the south which was pretty good. The employee(owner) was super helpful and interested as I was telling him about my new brewing rig and helped me gather the ingredients for my first AG batch. He milled it for me and also told me several customers email their recipes a day or two ahead so he can have them ground and ready for pickup. While I was there, a kid came in wanting to barter a used beer pump for some keg hardware and he agreed. If the store had any downfall, it was too small and didnt seem to have a brewing space. He did say they run demonstrations/lessons and also have monthly homebrew competitions. They also have a punch card system for wyeast (5th is free) and give $1 back if you return the vial. They have a "leave a brew, take a brew" exchange. You have to bring an extra for the owner to try (to make sure it wont kill anyone) and then they go in the swap fridge-thought that was a neat idea as well.

Best of luck!

I only have 2 complaints about my LHBS.

1. It is about an hour away from me.

2. It is in a college town and is usually full of stinky, hippy college kids milling around and not buying anything but still taking up the Employees time and register space.

Mine is great. Good specialty malt selection, good hop prices (for the ones I dont buy in bulk), spacious storefront, good prices, good product turnover. The only problem is they're about 45 minutes away, one way. They have an online store with flat rate shipping, that is actually cheaper than the round trip gas in my V8 car. Ive been so busy lately that I wouldnt have been able to make time to drive to the store anyway, so its worked out well. It also makes me appreciate the times I do get to go to the store.

I love that he's only 5 mins from my house, very local and can usually get anything I need. Very knowledgeable as well..

If I have to hate something I guess his prices aren't always the best, and sometimes when he's busy the grain crush isn't the best.

But I know a lot of people aren't as lucky to have a lhbs so close so I really can't complain.

I've got three LHBS's that are all relatively convenient drives from me (well, four actually, but I've heard universally terrible things about #4, so I've never bothered). Starting from the closest and most convenient:

- Fairly knowlegeable staff
- Good selection of small equipment options (hydrometers, stoppers, airlocks, etc)

Dislikes:
- Everything's expensive - significantly more so than any of the other LHBS's, let alone online. Only good in a pinch
- Sub-par selection of yeast, and what's there is often older than preferable.
- Not sure how they package and store hops - I went in to purchase 1oz of cascade to replace what I'd borrowed from a buddy, and wound up getting 1oz in a loose ziplock, rather than getting it in a hopunion bag like I'd get any where else I shop.

A little further out:
- Good prices
- They're fair an honest, though sometimes to a fault - when they know they can't touch an online price, sometimes they won't bother. I found they won't even carry silicone tubing there, because they can't touch online pricing. I wouldn't mind paying a premium on a couple items just to support the local guy and to be able to get all my stuff in one place.
- Very good selection on all ingredients

Dislikes
- Their crush has recently become terrible. Not sure what went on there, but over the summer something went on with their mill. A few of us in my brew club have pointed this out, and it still hasn't been corrected, which is very unusual for them.

Furthest out:
- They had samples of several of their kits available for tasting
- Lots and lots of cool gear to check out

Dislikes:
- Gear was very pricey
- Their ingredients appeared to be limited to their own extract kits, which in turn appeared to be limited to recipes in the two books their store had published. I noticed nothing there for all grain brewers, though I did see one mash tun setup for sale.
- The advice I was able to secure from the staff there was limited to "here, look through these two books and pick out a recipe, then find that kit, and have fun!"
- The kits were also very pricey - I could have gotten 2 extract kits from any online vendor for what they wanted for any of their extract kits.

Back