what do you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleAleMale

Reaction score
How do you guys transfer your wort into your fermenter? I use a strainer but it takes forever because all the hop and grain bits always clog it up so i have to keep stirring it and it takes forever. Is there a faster method of doing this? thanks

PAM

I use my immersion chiller to chill it to about 68F... then I stir the HECK out of it to get a fast whirlpool going... THEN I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes while I get my yeast all good and rehydrated. Slip the racking cane into the pot and syphon from the side... the hop/trub cone is quite pronounced! You can get alot of good wort out that way... I siphon it in and keep the nasties out by whirlpooling.

Brewpilot

when using a bucket as a primary, I just dump it the kettle into the bucket. This helps get some oxygen into the wort for the yeast. when using the carboy as a primary, I siphon. I don't whirlpool or strain although I should try the whirlpool.

I use a perforated stainless hops screen (designed to be a false bottom in a smaller kettle), and I pump the wort through a counterflow chiller into my fermenter with a March mag-drive pump. I get cold break in the fermenter that way, but I dump it out within a few days.

The point being, the hops stay in the kettle.

I have only brewed extract batches and whirlpool while the pot is in the icebath, but I haven't got good results. I still get quite a bit of hops (I brew with pellets) in the fermentor, even when I try and strain it.

My brew spoon has holes in it, so after chilling the wort, I dump it in the fermenter and let the brew spoon hold back the break. Now, some will get in there and from what I've read and the results so far, seems to work great. I then add make up water and by then, I have the yeast already hydrated. Use same spoon and whip it up really good then pitch. Keep stirring the whole thing for a while to help get aerated. Then seal it up and about three hours later, bubbles.

Use hops bags and grain bags and you will not have to worry about straining the wort because none of the mess leaves the bags. You wil still have a few hot and cold break proteins but they can be whirlpooled easily or you can just let them settle out in the primary.

I've always just used the racking cane to transfer from kettle to bucket and hold the tubing up high for splashing(aeration).The little filter type doo-dad on the racking cane seems to keep the crud out.i just don't know any better.
Cheers:mug:

I don't use a chiller.

I stir, then dip in a strainer to scoop the goop. Then I pour on top of another strainer to strain the grain leftover. Usually works very well, except when the strainer falls in while it's filled with goop.

I just use a funnel with a strainer. yeah, it takes awhile, and you have to sit there with a butterknife, constantly stirring to keep the screen unclogged (especially if you use lots of hop pellets!), but I've brewed some 18 batches of beer, and none of them, not even the punkin, which took HOURS and HOURS of stirring the crap outta the funnel strainer (lots of pumpkin solids), didn't get contaminated. Maybe I'm lucky, but if THAT batch didn't get contaminated from falling bacteria, then I dunno what would. I would pour enough wort into the strainer to reach the top, then sit there and stir until it emptied...each funnelful literally took 20 minutes. I watched all of Dr. Strangelove on my iPod while doing this, and only got halfway through the batch.

But with most of my batches, the best way to do it is to let it sit for awhile longer, so that most of the solids settle out. Then pour into the funnel and strain. Takes awhile, but like I said, no contamination yet.

Whirlpooling is a good idea and since this is the only time you want to get oxygen into the wort, thrashing it well in the process won't hurt a thing.

Back