What do i need

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_84

Reaction score
Can some one help me out. I make wine but never made beer. The wife want to try to make beer. I have a bottle capper, primary fermentor, hydrometer, siphon, and Carboys. What else do I need to make beer. Help will be greatly appreciated

Can some one help me out. I make wine but never made beer. The wife want to try to make beer. I have a bottle capper, primary fermentor, hydrometer, siphon, and Carboys. What else do I need to make beer. Help will be greatly appreciated

Hmm, let's see. Typically, you need some grainbags (if you're doing an extract batch with some steeping grains), a brewpot, and some little bags for the hops (which aren't required but many people use them). That's about it!

I like the kits from places like northernbrewer.com, as they have a list of ingredients and a list of equipment, and then step by step instructions on how to proceed. Here's an example of one that I like: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/CaribouSlobber.pdf

That's assuming you want to do a beginner's extract batch, which is what most brewers start with.

Definitely listen to Yooper. For a 5 gal batch, you will want a large brewpot (~7.5 gal minimum) and a way to heat it effectively (stovetop is fine, if your stove can handle the weight...no ceramic cooktops.) Don't forget that this will require a rather long spoon to stir.

You will also want a way to control your fermentation temps (which vary slightly based on type of yeast, but are usually in the 55-68 range).

You also want enough bottles for 5 gal of beer. A good food-grade bucket for bottling is very nice also.

Happy brewing! :mug:

For a 5 gal batch, you will want a large brewpot (~7.5 gal minimum) and a way to heat it effectively (stovetop is fine, if your stove can handle the weight...no ceramic cooktops.) Don't forget that this will require a rather long spoon to stir.

You don't NEED a pot that big. I partial mash and partial boil, and find a 5 gallon pot sufficient. I usually start with about 3.5 gallons in the pot. I don't think my stove could manage to boil anything bigger.

Same thing here calder! I use a nylon grain bag that stretches over the lip of my 5 gallon (20qt) SS stock pot. It allows me to stir the grains to break up dough balls & evenly wet the crushed grains. PB/PM BIAB is easy & works very well. I also do 3.5 to 3.75 gallons in my 5 gallon BK/MT. I also stopped using muslin hop sacks in the boil,as this does seem to give a better "edge" or depth to hop flavors.
Having said that,NB & Midwest both have many great extract or partial mash kits to choose from that are easy & taste great. Pick a style you like & ask questions of it on here. Many of us have done a lot of kits from these suppliers & can help you along.:mug:

Another tip is add most of the extract at flame out (some add it at 10 minutes left) for a partial boil batch. This helps make better beer and more accurate color.

Thanks everyone for the help. I have an out door propane burner that I use for crawfish boils so the heat source is not a problem. two more questions. Do I need a wart chiller or is that something I can live without for a while?

Sorry pressed send to early. What the difference between all grain and extract?

Thanks everyone for the help. I have an out door propane burner that I use for crawfish boils so the heat source is not a problem. two more questions. Do I need a wart chiller or is that something I can live without for a while?
If you wind up doing full boils,you'll need a wort chiller. An ice bath can't handle cooling that much wort.
Sorry pressed send to early. What the difference between all grain and extract?

Extract use all or part extract with either all extract,or partial mash. AG is just that...nothing but grains are used in larger quantities to make the wort.

Back