What do I need to add to my equipment to go all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcfire12

Reaction score
well I just want to price it out and see what it'll take to go AG. I made a stainless keg into a brew kettle already to do full boil extract brews and I have a large burner. I've brewed with friends and his very nice all grain set up that has a separate keg for sparge water and a pump system ect. I'm just looking at cheaper options. I don't need to build a heavy duty brew stand. What do I need to go all grain?

image.jpg

Technically, I believe the minimum you'd need is just a large grain bag, and you could do full volume Brew In A Bag. This would eliminate your need for any extra vessels. Many people buy voile fabric from the store and sew their own bags, but you can find them made-to-order (designed to your kettle's specs) online for ~$35 I believe.

Outside of that, the minimum you'd need is a MLT vessel (I use a 10 gallon Igloo drink cooler). You could use your existing kettle as the HLT (for fly sparging), or just batch sparge. But you'd need something to mash in.

I guess I'm looking at completing it with just an igloo cooler and a grain mill then? Or 2

Not really interested in doing the bag thing i don't think. I have the room for extra equipment. Just seeing what exactly I would need

A cooler and either a false bottom (for round cooler) or build a braid drain for a mash tun. I had really good results with a big 1 inch water heater hose braid. The little dishwasher/toilet things are too small. It helps to have a second cooler for a hot liquor tank.

Add thermoplastic hoses to drain them, and a pump is really handy. Northern Brewer often does a "buy a pump, get a free such-and-such," so keep an eye on them. Also, quick disconnects from McMaster-Carr will make life a lot simpler when moving hoses.

Not really interested in doing the bag thing i don't think. I have the room for extra equipment. Just seeing what exactly I would need

As a non-biaber, don't be too quick to discount biab, it seems to serve a lot of people very well.

That said I was kind of like you when I started and wanted to go the traditional route, also I'm very much a gear head. You can build a 15gallon mashtun for around $50: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=144475

Oh and a giant whisk is awesome for doing in, get one of those. :mug:

Latest posts

Back