What do I Have ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb2kir

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving to All....
I tried my first all grain Brew In A Bag today.
Followed Specialkaye's method as close as I could.
I don't think the thermometer supplied with MY cooker is accurate as it needs to be for this type of use. I will get a GOOD one before next brew day !!!
Also, I made a mistake when graduating the brew pot and sparge pot.
After the boil I had about 3.5 gallons instead of 5. Without thinking, I topped up to the 5 gallon mark with cool water. I think this is where I went wrong.

My question is this: after racking to the fermenter, I took a gravity reading and found it to be 1.036. Do I have beer or something for the septic tank??
Joe:confused:

Absolutely worth keeping. I Brew my Campers Delight, which is an Ordinary Bitter, and it has an O.G. of 1.034. Makes for a very tasty, low ABV home brew. I'd be anxious to see your recipe though.

RLinNH,
10lb Meris Otter malt ( milled fine by LHBS) 3/4 Oz Williamette Hops at beginning of boil, 3/4 Oz 2 minutes before end of boil....
That's it.

Thanks Guys!
I pitched as soon as the temp was correct...
We shall see what we shall see....
Will let you know in a week or so
Joe

Ok,, Got beer, had an awful aftertaste, down the toilet it went.
Will try again soon with different grain and newly acquired thermometer.
Joe

Ok,, Got beer, had an awful aftertaste, down the toilet it went.
Will try again soon with different grain and newly acquired thermometer.
Joe

That is undoubtedly the silliest thing I have heard. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER judge a beer until it is aged properly. Beers go through several stages of flavors including some less pleasant ones while it is conditioning but almost always get much better.

Well maybe a bit premature, but after I lost 4 batches in a row due to the kits being un-hopped, I developed a taste for recognizing bad beer..... (I didn't know it but the new LHBS purchased LME with different colored labels. Being color blind, I didn't pick up on the subtle color difference that indicated Un-Hopped until I had trouble. Yooperbrew caught it just by what I was posting)

Anyway, this stuff was low gravity ( 1.036) and tasted like a medicine of some sort.....
It was my first brew in a bag, and I found I was way off in temperatures and probably used the wrong type of grain (Meris Otter Malt) for this method and deserve what I got....
Live and learn. I've got a new thermometer and am going to the LHBS tomorrow to get more grain and try again maybe next weekend.
Wish me luck !!
Joe

Back