What do Americans think of Canadians generally?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's pretty hard to stereotype two nations as large as ours. Canada has the second largest land mass in the world so there are bound to be profound regional variations in population 'cultures' and customs. The US has over 300 million people and is fairly vast in itself, so ditto.

Some Canadians might say 'aboot', but I don't know any. We don't all use eh? at the end of every sentence any more than every American uses y'all instead of you yet the impression persists. Even the time of year can play a role. I live in a town where we get overrun by tourii every summer. That really pisses some people off so they get cranky. When they get cranky the tourii get cranky and each thinks the other is being a ******. Good days, bad days...

Ummmm, people are people no matter what country they come from. Seriously, even people from extremist muslim nations, communist dictatorship run countries. It always surprises me when people try to group a large segment of the population in a box and say, "People from xyz country are like 'blah blah blah'". It's totally dependent on the sample size, and what you find if you have a big enough sample is that there are good ones, bad ones, fat ones, skinny ones, nice ones, a$$holes, religious ones, atheists, stinky ones, hot ones, and the list goes on. I try to meet people individually with no expectations or preconceived notions about what they "should" be like based on their country of origin, color, or accent.

That being said, Canadians are a bunch of weirdos for living up there in the dam tundra! :D Except for those who race dirt bikes on the ice...those guys are OK. :rockin:

I saw a Simpsons the other night where they went to England and Homer was talking about Canada:
But we Americans are England's children! I know we don't call as often as we should, and we aren't as well behaved as our goody-two-shoes brother, Canada. Who by the way has never had a girlfriend. (whispers) I'm just sayin'…

I've only been to Montréal and near Niagara and had overall good experiences. I found the French Canadians to be much more amiable than the French.

Americans in general are overly ethno-centric. I wish more Americans would, or would have the opportunity to, travel abroad... if anything to remind us that the world doesn't revolve around us. It's strange, compared to other countries, how many Americans don't have a passport.

What i don't understand is why there is still a movement to separate Quebec from the rest of Canada after all this time. I see the differences as more made up than real.

It is the different background, different History and culture that makes it that it just doesn't work for Canadians and French Canadians.

The Canadians are pissed at us for insisting on our cultural differences (French speaking being one), while we on our part, always feel like we're not really wanted and welcomed within Canada.

I know it looks goofy, but the differences are real.

IIt's strange, compared to other countries, how many Americans don't have a passport.

I think this may be for two reasons:

1) Our country is so huge and diverse you can see almost every environment possible without leaving the country
2) Our Passports are ugly as hell

I saw a Simpsons the other night where they went to England and Homer was talking about Canada:

I've only been to Montréal and near Niagara and had overall good experiences. I found the French Canadians to be much more amiable than the French.

Americans in general are overly ethno-centric. I wish more Americans would, or would have the opportunity to, travel abroad... if anything to remind us that the world doesn't revolve around us. It's strange, compared to other countries, how many Americans don't have a passport.

I always meet Americans when I travel - no matter where I am... so I think it's rather a myth that Americans don't travel as much. Also, we are not talking apples to apples here. Traveling from Switzerland, to Germany, to Belgium is like going from Maryland to DC to Virgina in the US.

A lot of Europeans are forced to take time off of work... so they travel or vacation during that time - its amazing how much more you can do with an extra 3-4 weeks off in a year and to boot a lot of people outside the US travel to find work.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vgVj3P7cwI]YouTube - Celine Dion & Anastacia You Shook Me All Night Long Live Divas Las Vegas[/ame]

I'm fairly positive Celine Dion has some undiagnosed mental disorder. The sad thing is, nobody will ever say anything because they think she is just "eccentric"

I always meet Americans when I travel - no matter where I am... so I think it's rather a myth that Americans don't travel as much. Also, we are not talking apples to apples here. Traveling from Switzerland, to Germany, to Belgium is like going from Maryland to DC to Virgina in the US.

A lot of Europeans are forced to take time off of work... so they travel or vacation during that time - its amazing how much more you can do with an extra 3-4 weeks off in a year and to boot a lot of people outside the US travel to find work.

I agree with all of that... except for the myth that Americans don't travel outside the country as much. I've run into Americans abroad as well, although not that many because I tend to stay away from the tourist traps. But I run into a lot more Americans here that, when asked where they're going on vacation, answer: Disney World. I'm not saying it's not understandable considering how relatively isolated we are and how much there is to see in this country alone, but I think there is definitely a correlation between American's renowned ethnocentrism and the percentage of passport holders.

I run into a lot more Americans here that, when asked where they're going on vacation, answer: Disney World. I'm not saying it's not understandable considering how relatively isolated we are and how much there is to see in this country alone, but I think there is definitely a correlation between American's renowned ethnocentrism and the percentage of passport holders.
I'll take this as correct from somebody who has traveled abroad. I'm 40 and just got my first passport a few months ago to go to, wait for it, Toronto.

There is too much diversity among the Canadian people to make any judgments about the group as a whole.

Indeed. :)

And Im sure it must be the very same thing for American people, People from Texas vs people from New York or whatnot.... like your famous South Vs North war, a living proof that there are a lot of different views and cultures among the very same country.

Due to the nature of my Navy assignements, I had the opportunity to work with Canadians for two years on a shore duty assignment. Great people for the most part. They were from different parts of Canada, so some did actually say aboot, and eh. Others were no more different than an American living in the same area. I do think that most of them could have drank me under the table, but in the Canadian Navy they serve booze on the ships, so they get more practice.

One of the guys I work with is a Canuck. We give him grief about it all the time. He's a basketball fan who's trying to lose 20 lbs, so I've taken to calling him "Big Country" after Bryant Reeves. We'll also sing the above song to him whenever appropriate (or inappropriate). It's all in good fun, but I've found that the Canadian jokes pretty much write themselves.

Didn't you bastids foist Matthew Perry and Alanis Morrisette on us? I don't know if that can ever be forgiven.

You forgot Avril Lavigne. bwha hahahaa.

I like a lot of Americans. On the other hand I also find a lot of AMericans Verrrrrrrry arogant. It's the Arrogant ones that give the rest of you a bad name up here.

Some of the nicest people I have ever met were from the states. Some of thest ******** I have ever met were from the states.

Wow this is an interesting bunch of responses, i didn't expect that much so it's great, thanks for that.

As what i think about Texans, i usually picture Texans as being bad ass cowboys that eat 3 inches raw Steak with pepper sauce for breakfast... *LOL*
(Thanks to the movie cliche we get around here).

He Texans not Albertans.... (LOL)

I guess because most people I met when traveling mistake me for a Canadien, I like them! Even folks in my old neighborhood where I grew up in Ohio will ask me, "Have you been living in Canada the last 30 years?" I don't know what they are talking aboot!

I care about people telling me that they are Canadian about as much as I care what school district they are in.

In other words, that piece of information doesn't tell me very much especially if they live in the US.

Are you one of those guys who comes to Old Orchard Beach (Maine) wearing nothing but a speedo and smoking a cigarette?:D

Most Canadians I have met have been really nice.

The Canadians are pissed at us for insisting on our cultural differences (French speaking being one), while we on our part, always feel like we're not really wanted and welcomed within Canada.

I think what irks the rest of Canada is Quebec's insistence that we recognize them, and them alone, as being deserving of special status. If you're different, just be different. I don't understand why Quebec needs me to say it's different. We changed the entire country to bilingual to accommodate our french speaking population and then we recognized Quebec as distinct within a united Canada, yet it's not enough. I live in Manitoba and I can't help but wonder what it is that Quebec wants from me in order for it to be itself. I need nothing from Quebec in particular to be me.

You say you're different and special and then say you don't really feel a part of Canada. I would like you to be with us but I don't understand your terms.

i have heard countless stories of people from the states crossing over and raiding the bars on our side, acting also.. as complete asses... *LOL*

Maybe it's a completely human thing to when being in a foreign country, to act like nobody will know you anyways... so it's like being anonymous in a way.

I feel the opposite way when overseas...as though people I meet are going to judge my country based upon my behavior, so I'd better play nice!

I think what irks the rest of Canada is Quebec's insistence that we recognize them, and them alone, as being deserving of special status. If you're different, just be different. I don't understand why Quebec needs me to say it's different. We changed the entire country to bilingual to accommodate our french speaking population and then we recognized Quebec as distinct within a united Canada, yet it's not enough. I live in Manitoba and I can't help but wonder what it is that Quebec wants from me in order for it to be itself. I need nothing from Quebec in particular to be me.

You say you're different and special and then say you don't really feel a part of Canada. I would like you to be with us but I don't understand your terms.

Pretty good point right there.

Honestly, I think a good part (not all of us) would like Quebec to be a country on it's own instead of a Canadian Province.
But about half of the Quebecers just disagree on that point, some feel proud to be Canadian and would truly be saddened to see a separation occur.

So honestly, and especially in such a critical time, i think it would be just about time for us French Canadians, and you Canadians to just stop thinking about these pointless issues and start focusing on the much more important issues, like economy, global warming (pollution and such) health, Jobs and so on.

Personally when I travel I try and say EH and aboot just to keep a good thing going. I also ask for extra mayonnaise on my burgers even though I don't like it.

Pretty good point right there.

Honestly, I think a good part (not all of us) would like Quebec to be a country on it's own instead of a Canadian Province.
But about half of the Quebecers just disagree on that point, some feel proud to be Canadian and would truly be saddened to see a separation occur.

So honestly, and especially in such a critical time, i think it would be just about time for us French Canadians, and you Canadians to just stop thinking about these pointless issues and start focusing on the much more important issues, like economy, global warming (pollution and such) health, Jobs and so on.

I think we're in agreement. :mug:

Back