What did you have with your Christmas dinner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For our Christmas Eve dinner last night, I made an Italian bean and tortellini soup and paired it with a Central Waters Brewers Reserve Stout, a bourbon barrel aged stout from Wisconsin. Delicious!

Haven't decided what we'll be drinking today with our Swedish Julbord Christmas day dinner (there will be six different kinds of herring!) - I'll report back.

photo-35-61685.jpg

I should have taken a picture I guess. We had a prime rib roast, horseraddish sauce, au jus, with mashed potato souffle, asparagus with hollandaise and broccoli, all cooked by me. I had two glasses of my RyePA while cooking and a glass of my vanilla porter with dinner. I will admit though I did have a glass of wine and usually had a sip of that after each bite of the roast. I am a sucker for a good glass of red wine with red meat.

I browned up a sirloin tip roast & roasted it with beef bullion & my whiskely stout Over a bed of potatoe chunks. Then made pan gravy with the broth in the cast iron skillet I browned it in. Had the stout with it. The herbs,garlic & sun-dried tomatoes came together well with the whiskely stout.

Monday: bean stew, cornbread and pimento cheese sandwiches

Christmas Eve: Shrimp cocktail, Swedish meatballs, pigs-in-a-banket, nachos and cheese, country ham, drank HB altbier, Sam Adams chocolate cherry porter (yuck) and Octoberfest (yum!)

Chrismas dinner: Spaghetti at my wife's Italian grandmothers house. Two giant bowls of noodles, one pot of red sauce, and one pot of sauce with meatballs, sausage and pork chops.

I may not eat for days now

Had a Maredsous Tripel to accompany an insanely delicious smoked ham. (I wish I could take credit for the ham. My stepfather's friend gets us one every year from "a guy he knows" that cures/smokes them himself.)
I have a bomber of Ranger Creek Mesquite Smoked Porter in the fridge, but didn't want to do smoke on top of smoke. I'll save that for later today to share with a friend as I whip his ass playing Gran Turismo 6. (Thanks Santa!)
On Xmas Eve i treated myself to a growler of Southern Tier Choklat.
My first ever brew is still waiting to be bottled (an ESB), but that should be happening this weekend. Would like to have had it ready for Xmas/New Years but alas I had to keep pushing brewday back.
Merry Beermas!

While finishing up cooking the turkey, I had some Gluwein made by a neighbor. As an appetizer, right before dinner, I had some Johnny Walker Black that my daughter and son-in-law got me for Christmas. During dinner, my wife and I shared a bottle of Show Mead that I recently bottled.

I had some awesome ham and Dogfish Head's newest ancient ale Kvasir...was very tasty, and the tartness really went well with the sweet ham!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Our traditional Christmas breakfast is pork tamales and fried eggs, smothered in cheese and green chile. This year, I paired it with my last bottle of EdWort's Pale Ale, and a few bottles of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

I also found it interesting that my robust vanilla porter went better with town house crackers & my cheese bomb than with the butter cookies. I thought the butter cookies would pair well,but didn't.

I also found it interesting that my robust vanilla porter went better with town house crackers & my cheese bomb than with the butter cookies. I thought the butter cookies would pair well,but didn't.

That is interesting. Sweets can be challenging to pair with it, I think. Almost no wines, except dessert wines, pair well with sweets, and even dessert wines are just piling sweet upon sweet. Getting something that balances is sometimes a good way to go - a sweet stout, with its espresso-like roastiness can be a good choice to kind of cut through the sweetness. Or a beer with good strong hop bitterness can cut through a dessert's richness, sometimes.

In any case, porter and cheese makes me realize how hungry I am right now!

I made the cheese bomb with cream cheese,French onion dip & shredded sharp cheddar covered with dried spent grains from an IPA I made. Served on buttery Town House crackers. Funny how the porter mixed so well with that combo,but it worked.:mug:

Back