What Did I Just Brew?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vamptrump

Reaction score
So I messed up when brewing what was supposed to be an Irish Red the other day. What I was supposed to add hops (based on a recipe) for a 75 min boil, I accidentally threw in Columbus instead of Fuggle. Needless to say it's extremely bitter.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.045 (from BeerSmith)
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 71.4 (should have been ~30)
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
Color: 14.8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 28 @ 72F (was busy)

6 lbs - Maris Otter
2 lbs - Vienna
3 oz - Roasted Barley
3 oz - Caramel 120
1 oz - Columbus - Boil 75 min (should have been Fuggle)
1 oz - Goldings, East Kent - Boil 15 min

Mash at 152F for 60 minutes.

It's bottled now. Based on the bitterness from the Columbus there is no way I can honestly call this an Irish Red. It also lacks any hop character that I could tell to call it a Red IPA. So the question is, what exactly should I classify this as, other than a massive mistake? It's slightly roasting, red, and has a lingering bitter that sits on the pallet for a good minute after taking a sip.

Unless you're entering a contest, there is really no reason to get too caught up in labels. I brew mostly to style, but not always. You say it's in the bottle, so too late to dry hop. You have what you have.

I'd call it the Red Hammer.

Yeah, this thing is going no where near a competition. It's more of determining a label for when people ask and for cataloging purposes.

I'd still call it in Irish Red honestly. Irish-American Red perhaps? We do love to shove lots of American hops at existing styles in order to make it our's :)

Unfortunately it's too late to dry hop. Already in the bottles. I'm going to see what happens after bottle conditioning.

I like Irish-American Red.

Hopped-Up Session Amber Ale??

I think this is spot on.

I'm looking forward to see what happens as it bottle conditions. Hopefully either the East Goldings pop up some (which I doubt) or the bitterness drops some.

Going through the BJCP 2015 guidelines, I'm wondering if this could be a non-lagered version of an Altbier. Unfortunately, I can't recall ever drinking an Altbier, for comparison. Time to hunt one down.

Back