What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those look really good. How did you get your crusts so puffy? I can never get any good bubbles in my pizza crusts. What's your secret?

Had a good snowstorm yesterday, so work was closed (I don’t have a rig to work from home at this point.)
So I put up a lasagna. Did it as meat and veg - sautéed hamburger and added the sauce to that, and a pack of frozen spinach into the cheese mix.
also put up a batch of challah bread dough, but baked it to loaves instead of the traditional braided.
Also opened a bottle of wine, something I very rarely do, but it seemed appropriate. (Georges DeBeuf Beaujolais 2019. Very good pairing.)
424F77A0-6951-4972-9C86-779C787C0E4E.jpeg
C0C9307B-C541-4712-9719-2BBAEAE8BA16.jpeg
B94B490D-1F5A-45DE-AD08-F3BD141321C3.jpeg

I've been putting an air fryer that I bought last week to the test. So far I've used it for chicken parts, salmon, tuna steak, and lamb. I've also done potatoes, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli. Once I dial in times and temps this thing is going to be a kitchen rockstar. Yesterday's dinner was a 2.5 lb chunk of lamb, a bit overcooked for us, but like I said, I need to dial in the time and temps.
Holy America's Test Kitchen, Batman! That's a lot of use. I'd probably try doing my coffee in one.
Seriously, I just heard of a "Meater." You've probably heard of it already but I always am last on the bus.
I mention it because I'm assuming an air fryer could lose heat quickly and that thermometer would handle it. I kind of want to get one just because.
You make a good case for getting an air fryer with that money shot of the meat.

Those look really good. How did you get your crusts so puffy? I can never get any good bubbles in my pizza crusts. What's your secret?

I don't know about any secret but I use a comal (cast iron griddle) as a pizza stone. Put the comal in a cold oven and heat to 550 °F or as hot as your oven allows. Let it preheat for a long time . I let it preheat about an hour. Use a peel to transfer the pizza to the comal. 8 to 10 minutes of cook time is about right for a thin crust

I used the dough recipie from Pizza Camp by Joe Beddia. This is a rather wet dough and is bulk fermented in the refrigerator overnight.

Made a 1.5 batch of basmati rice with 4T butter, 1.5t turmeric, 1.5t salt, 1T tomato paste and one half of a red pepper, finely diced. I was going to take a photo but it just looks like yellow rice with tiny, red squares and was so boring I fell asleep just contemplating which angle would be best to capture the perfect photo.
In any case, it's a complement to a white bean, sautéed onion and Berbere dish. As far as I know, Berbere is an Ethiopian spice. I can attest to it being fairly hot. I add vegetable stock at one point and then thicken with cornstarch.
The beans go on the rice. Done. I make it for my wife who loves that kind of stuff.

For you folks living in areas where you can grow bougainvillea, their petals (bracts) make a colorful addition to a spinach salad (also had goat cheese, almonds, and craisins). I've got a potted bush in front of the house.

Top with a bit of poppyseed dressing if you like, but not necessary with the other goodies in there. I grilled filets and salmon last night and this was one of the sides.
View attachment 760386
We growing hanging bougainvillea at the nursery. Never new they were edible! Pretty cool

I smoked a duck that I injected with rum butter marinade, and rubbed down with Chipotle coffee dry rub. Delicious!
Had stir fried veggies and rice on the side.
View attachment 761093
Bravo! As far as I'm concerned, you could have served that with mudpies on the side; you still would have won the internet! I've never smoked a duck. That will be rectified. (See post 19492)

Bravo! As far as I'm concerned, you could have served that with mudpies on the side; you still would have won the internet! I've never smoked a duck. That will be rectified. (See post 19492)
Lol. Thanks man! Yeah, it's kind of a learning curve, the first time I did it was too tough. I found a really good website, and basically learned that it takes a couple more steps for duck. Go for it!!

When you smoke a duck, what happens to all the duck fat it gives up?
When you smoke a duck, what happens to all the duck fat it gives up?
You have to put half inch to 1 inch deep crossed cuts across the breast and put a pan below it to capture the fat. I usually get some of the aluminum foil pans from the dollar store. Also, you want to put some water in there too so it retains humidity. It needs to be slsmoked between 300 and 325 so the duck fat renders. I use a toothpick to prick the skin in several places too.

You have to put half inch to 1 inch deep crossed cuts across the breast and put a pan below it to capture the fat. I usually get some of the aluminum foil pans from the dollar store. Also, you want to put some water in there too so it retains humidity. It needs to be slsmoked between 300 and 325 so the duck fat renders. I use a toothpick to prick the skin in several places too.

👌 Thanks.

I made smoked jalapeño popper stuffed burgers, that I then reverse seared (stuffed with Cream Cheese, sharp cheddar, and Diced jalapeños). Came out really solid. Next time I’ll make them a little smaller
A50EB498-6C3A-4357-A992-76911C4AC16D.jpeg

Last edited:
Cooler temperatures on the weekend means I get the craving for a hearty beef stew. Browned short ribs, beef shank, and stew beef in the cast iron pan. Then put it in the slow cooker with potatoes, carrots, onion, barley, mushrooms, celery, a bottle of Guinness, beef broth, and spices. Seven hours later…..

9A138C71-568F-47FF-9DFF-2D833881F6FC.jpeg

In the bowl, with crusty bread on the side.

4C5CE33A-68CE-4FC4-87C2-6E675F34D57D.jpeg

Comfort food.

Last edited:
I smoked 3 full racks of spare ribs, along with some Keilbasa Beef sausage!
Then I finished them off in the oven,
"low and slow" for a few more hours,
'til the meat was falling of the bone!!
Accompanied with sides of southern style mixed greens and green beans, corn muffins w/ whole corn cornels and green chilis in them! And of course lots of great Beer and Wine to wash it all down!!
Great Friends and My Beautiful Wife to enjoy it all with!!
It was a great Saturday night!!!
Cheers to Life!!
🍺😎

Attachments

• 20220301_152057.jpg
    20220301_152057.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220305_161251.jpg
    20220305_161251.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220304_152655.jpg
    20220304_152655.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20150905_093555.jpg
    20150905_093555.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220304_153439.jpg
    20220304_153439.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
I made smoked jalapeño popper stuffed burgers, that I then reverse seared (stuffed with Cream Cheese, sharp cheddar, and Diced jalapeños). Came out really solid. Next time I’ll make them a little smaller View attachment 761701
Holy Cow, that is a Guy Fieri hunch-worthy mouthful!

Holy Cow, that is a Guy Fieri hunch-worthy mouthful!
It really was. It was good but honestly a bit too much. I’ll refine it a bit and make them smaller.

Pretty easy though - take your favorite meat blend and burger seasoning for the patties. For the stuffing, cream cheese, quality shredded sharp cheddar, and diced jalapeños to your spice likings, and salt, pepper, an a touch of garlic and onion powder. Chill it really good then stuff it lol

Last May walleye and Lipton rice with french fries (well fries not shown). Been a tough winter for fishing but it all worked out only a few packages of last year's catch left.
Love walleye. Much easier to catch in my area when I was a kid.

Growing up, you could walk across the Maumee river on the walleye.
That’s how Herring was in the lower Esopus creek in April when they and the stripper would run as a kid. Not anymore though, numbers are way down

My first attempt at gnocchi.
Look good to me. I made them because my wife loves them and I was inspired by:

Cooking aside, this lady is fun to watch. She also gives a good demo on rolling them.
Edit: first time we used some wrong flour (whole wheat something or other). Not a good idea unless you enjoy flour soup.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back