What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good, like steak. We had liver and onions all the time growing up, only cooked well-done though and sometimes it wasn't tough. To this day, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I always ate it because it's what was for dinner.
About what is the price per pound these days?
Well, this liver was organically produced grass fed from Whole Foods 9.99 lb. (yes, we can buy nice conventional steaks for that kind of money) in another store I checked it was around 3, still a far cry from what it was when our mothers cooked it.

They are similar, just smaller. Scottish pancakes/drop scones are similar to American pancakes, English ones are closer to crepes.

OMG, we were talking last night about maybe binging Breaking Bad again! (it's a sign we are so old). It's only a matter of time before we binge Lost again, and play like we don't remember the ending, just because it was SO DAMN GOOD!! lol
ymmv

LOL! During the last year, we have binge-watched Weeds, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, The Sopranos, Rome, Nurse Jackie, Game of Thrones, and probably more, and right now we're rewatching The Godfather all three movies! And yes, we always pretend like we don't know what's gonna happen along the way to the ending which we also pretend we can't remember....

7D8A915C-8269-42B4-937E-548F1846A3F5.jpeg

Bay scallops and mussels in white sauce over spaghetti.

pre burger (1).jpg

That's just regular, Kraft American atop the MR burgers though it looks like cheese sauce. One pound of 80/20, pickle and mayo. I wouldn't recommend the entire portion to the average human.
This photo relates to the earlier Keto talk (don't technically know what that is except it seems like Atkins) and something I eat on a regular basis.
I will be thrilled when I can cook burgers on the grill again.

sourdough
That leaf pattern is solid, like fancy restaurant solid. Well, it looks like leaves.
We've been thwarted again by Costco--second time now they've stopped carrying an organic multi-grain that my wife likes. I need to wade into bread making to take control of that area.
I'm not complaining about Costco though that's what it looks like. They're great but there's always a pro-con to stuff.
My New Year's resolution was to make a sour dough starter, if it must be known.

I've been putting an air fryer that I bought last week to the test. So far I've used it for chicken parts, salmon, tuna steak, and lamb. I've also done potatoes, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli. Once I dial in times and temps this thing is going to be a kitchen rockstar. Yesterday's dinner was a 2.5 lb chunk of lamb, a bit overcooked for us, but like I said, I need to dial in the time and temps.
20220219_194422.jpg
20220219_202136.jpg

I've been putting an air fryer that I bought last week to the test. So far I've used it for chicken parts, salmon, tuna steak, and lamb. I've also done potatoes, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli. Once I dial in times and temps this thing is going to be a kitchen rockstar. Yesterday's dinner was a 2.5 lb chunk of lamb, a bit overcooked for us, but like I said, I need to dial in the time and temps.View attachment 760341View attachment 760342
Which air fryer did you get, or did I miss that?

For you folks living in areas where you can grow bougainvillea, their petals (bracts) make a colorful addition to a spinach salad (also had goat cheese, almonds, and craisins). I've got a potted bush in front of the house.

Top with a bit of poppyseed dressing if you like, but not necessary with the other goodies in there. I grilled filets and salmon last night and this was one of the sides.
1645473613164.png

For you folks living in areas where you can grow bougainvillea, their petals (bracts) make a colorful addition to a spinach salad (also had goat cheese, almonds, and craisins). I've got a potted bush in front of the house.

Top with a bit of poppyseed dressing if you like, but not necessary with the other goodies in there. I grilled filets and salmon last night and this was one of the sides.
View attachment 760386
I grow a new bougainvillea every year. Here it's an annual or if potted you can bring it in the house :) Pretty pictures!

You didn't miss it, I never said. I pretty much pulled the trigger on this with very little research. I ended up with this one; mainly because my son loves his Instapot and the ten qt model was only 1 inch bigger than their 6 qt model.
I haven't used it enough though, so don't consider my posts a recommendation.
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Vort...&sprefix=instant+air+fryers+,garden,60&sr=1-5
Thanks. I have about decided on the Instant but the 6 cup one with the drawer I think, based on some videos. I too love my instant pot!

So my wife wanted shrimp last night. I have a bunch frozen. Did a garlicy, emulsified butter, scampi kinda thing with spaghetti and it turned out just incredible! For sure my go to from now on for shrimp pasta. Technique based pretty much on a video I watch from Bon Appetit where Carla makes a scampi dish. I don't think there are any leftovers. Even my wife went back for seconds on this one!!
IMG_7753.JPG

Thanks. I have about decided on the Instant but the 6 cup one with the drawer I think, based on some videos. I too love my instant pot!
This is the one that was most highly-rated on the America's Test Kitchen air fryer shootout. I'll probably get one of these. I love my Farberware toaster oven/air fryer but it's a little over two years old so when it croaks - Instant Vortex it shall be!

This is the one that was most highly-rated on the America's Test Kitchen air fryer shootout. I'll probably get one of these. I love my Farberware toaster oven/air fryer but it's a little over two years old so when it croaks - Instant Vortex it shall be!
I think that was one of the ones I watched the other day! I have resisted getting one so far, but I am weakening. Have seen a lot of good things done in them besides frozen French fries :)

That's beautiful, Travis!

It's been snowing for hours here and the wind is blustery and blowing the snow everywhere, drifting it up in the wind shadows and almost sweeping it bare in other places. Beautiful!

I'm making lentil rotini carbonara tonight with guanciale. Maybe I'll remember to take a picture! :D

That's beautiful, Travis!

It's been snowing for hours here and the wind is blustery and blowing the snow everywhere, drifting it up in the wind shadows and almost sweeping it bare in other places. Beautiful!

I'm making lentil rotini carbonara tonight with guanciale. Maybe I'll remember to take a picture! :D
Thanks. Do take a picture. I have a bunch of lentils that I need to fix.

Hmmm. I guess it's possible to make lentil flour out of my red lentils, then make pasta out of that flour, but it sounds complicated. @passedpawn Andrew?

haha, how would I know? But I'll give my 2 cents anyway.

Lentils are gluten free, so I would have guessed that they'd be terrible for pasta or bread/pizza. No gluten = no bubbles. My intuition would be that the lentil pasta would disintegrate in the boil. But I see that pic of the lentil pasta above, so give it a try!

I make pasta a lot (all sorts of it), but i've only used varieties of wheat flour (e.g., GP, semolina). The hard part is milling the beans (pun there I guess). Once you have the flour, just use the standard egg noodle recipe (google it); flour, eggs, salt. Then either use a pasta cutter of some sort or just lay flat and cut the pasta with a knife, then boil. Easy peasy. I make spinach pasta with just the flour and spinach (no water or eggs) and mixing in food processor.

The Barilla box states red lentils as the only ingredient. Maybe they're using fresh, not dried, lentils and grinding them into a paste and extruding? I have no idea. I just know it was pretty dang tasty. Not quite as "tender" as good semolina pasta but at least do-able on my keto/gluten-free eating plan! Forgot the picture of course. Once food is plated all bets are off around here! ;)

The Barilla box states red lentils as the only ingredient. Maybe they're using fresh, not dried, lentils and grinding them into a paste and extruding? I have no idea. I just know it was pretty dang tasty. Not quite as "tender" as good semolina pasta but at least do-able on my keto/gluten-free eating plan! Forgot the picture of course. Once food is plated all bets are off around here! ;)
It must be some kind of witchcraft!! I can't find anything on how they get red lentils to bind into pasta. My compliments to the food scientists!

That's the one I've owned and pretty much made at least one meal a day with for 3 years. ATK recommends for it's larger basket capacity as many are quite small. That one's pretty big and Instapot makes a solid product.

I liked it so much at my bozo company when they give you a raise it's in credit for a store. I bought a second as I've beaten this thing pretty good and it's till ticking. I'd be lost if it broke and the current situations couldn't find a new one.

Only thing that I'd criticize is there's these small little rubber nubs to lift up the tray during cooking. Easily comes off and lost it the second week of use. Not sure if it's a big impact

Buying a mandolin to slice up veggies really ups the game and keeps it even more healthy.

Two other items I'd recommend:
bacon @ 400° for 8 minutes
Eggs in ramakins @ 365° for 5 minutes. Add a little milk in ramakin not to overcook whites and you get a nice runny yolk

Makes breakfast so good and quick with minimum cleanup

That's the one I've owned and pretty much made at least one meal a day with for 3 years. ATK recommends for it's larger basket capacity as many are quite small. That one's pretty big and Instapot makes a solid product.

I liked it so much at my bozo company when they give you a raise it's in credit for a store. I bought a second as I've beaten this thing pretty good and it's till ticking. I'd be lost if it broke and the current situations couldn't find a new one.

Only thing that I'd criticize is there's these small little rubber nubs to lift up the tray during cooking. Easily comes off and lost it the second week of use. Not sure if it's a big impact

Buying a mandolin to slice up veggies really ups the game and keeps it even more healthy.

Two other items I'd recommend:
bacon @ 400° for 8 minutes
Eggs in ramakins @ 365° for 5 minutes. Add a little milk in ramakin not to overcook whites and you get a nice runny yolk

Makes breakfast so good and quick with minimum cleanup

Thanks for your first-hand review on that one! It's on my short list.

Way back when those things first came on the market, I bought a similar one, GoWise I think it was. I liked it and it worked well but it had a very small basket and even for just the two of us, didn't make enough at one time. Then I bought a larger one, forget what brand, and that was better. But I still wanted MORE ROOM so bought this Farberware toaster oven/air fryer that I still have. The first one died after a year, was replaced under warranty, and the one I have now has been going strong for two years, with nearly daily use. It's so great for reheating things like hot wings or roasted chicken pieces or ribs or whatever. It has a large flat basket which will make enough hot wings at one time for both of us for dinner. So I'm pleased with it.

Would like that Instant Pot version for a backup and for use when staying elsewhere though!

Latest posts

Back