What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BA8AC21D-62A7-4662-84EF-72354752AB92.jpeg
82141735-AA35-4DA6-B852-EECBB6E9E2C5.jpeg
B8780646-6AC9-4B90-B05A-1D947D0DFE5C.jpeg

Pumpkin French toast, and cranberry orange bacon. I cooked the bacon in the oven because of the sugar. The fruit flavor was not very apparent. This was a “bacon of the month club” selection.

I usually do a wet brine but I did a dry brine for the first time on my turkey this year; three days in a bag with 3Tbs salt and 1/4"tsp pink cure salt and it came out amazing!

I just throw it in a home depot bucket with a few tbsp of salt then drop the bucket into one of the beer fridges overnight. That's a 22# in the bucket.

upload_2019-12-2_13-12-44.png

Chicken pot pie I made yesterday. Yes I did cheat with the pie crusts and used Pillsbury, but the rest was made from scratch. I would have taken a picture of it when served but it just looks like chicken pot pie. My awesome wife thought it was delicious. It is her recipe after all.

20191201_173421.jpg

Life is too short to make puff or filo pastry at home imo.

Part puff or shortcrust though is easy enough, I still cheat most of the time though :)

Made two gallons (new record) of butternut squash soup (looks like nacho cheese from 7-11 in even the best photo). Had to go to Meijer to get more glassware for the freezer. 21 orders worth.

Maha. Me too! 3 huge squashes.
What do you mean about the glassware?

Very nice. My wife is thrilled to have so much on hand for lunches and dinner. I think cutting up some tofu cubes (baked) makes it a well-rounded meal.
Because I had made such a huge amount, we ran out of storage containers for freezing the soup. So we had to go to Meijer to buy glass storage containers with snap on lids. And I also got a four-pack of Founders Backwoods Bastard which made the trip even more fun.

I had four, medium-to-large squash to work with. In addition, I used a 1# bag of carrots and the usual apple and onion quantity. Upon tasting, I couldn't really taste the carrots but that's okay. Next time I'm going to roast the carrots in the oven with the squash.
The recipe says wrap the squash halves in tin foil. I just couldn't see using that much foil so I put them all face-down on some parchment and it works great.

Very nice. My wife is thrilled to have so much on hand for lunches and dinner. I think cutting up some tofu cubes (baked) makes it a well-rounded meal.
Because I had made such a huge amount, we ran out of storage containers for freezing the soup. So we had to go to Meijer to buy glass storage containers with snap on lids. And I also got a four-pack of Founders Backwoods Bastard which made the trip even more fun.

I had four, medium-to-large squash to work with. In addition, I used a 1# bag of carrots and the usual apple and onion quantity. Upon tasting, I couldn't really taste the carrots but that's okay. Next time I'm going to roast the carrots in the oven with the squash.
The recipe says wrap the squash halves in tin foil. I just couldn't see using that much foil so I put them all face-down on some parchment and it works great.

No apples in mine. I don't think I'd like it any sweeter.

I freeze soup in those large gallon ziplock bags. You can get quite a lot in there (butternut soup in pic below). Just filled a bunch of them with turkey rice soup.

upload_2019-12-2_15-55-30.png

Pink cure? Please tell more, I use that for jerkey but didnt know it helped turkeys.
I usually do a wet brine but I did a dry brine for the first time on my turkey this year; three days in a bag with 3Tbs salt and 1/4"tsp pink cure salt and it came out amazing!

Lobster came to mind, and now I am craving lobster butternut bisque. Or maybe crab on top. I love that, the butternut soup and lump crab on top.

I have two butternuts and making soup tomorrow night. Going to toss a onion in with the squash to roast after reading @davidabcd post.
I freeze bean soup in ziplock gallon bags works great!

I use one large onion per squash. Sauteed first, then squash added, then chicken stock. That's how I do it anyway. Great, now I'm hungry again.

I use one large onion per squash. Sauteed first, then squash added, then chicken stock. That's how I do it anyway. Great, now I'm hungry again.
I do similar, but use leek. Add the white to saute then the green towards the end. I usually make it spicy by adding chilies or thai red curry paste. Shrimp/crab/seared scallops/lobster at flame-out. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or greek yogurt.

This has become a family favorite
We start with high quality chicken breast, I cut it in half. Salted, dipped in egg, then panko and pan fried in butter and california ranch evoo. Started with cast but the electric skillet is so easy to use and clean. Also homemade mash potatos and cesar salad bag kit. Pressure cooked the potatoes, works well.
Screenshot_20191202-215333_Gallery.jpeg

Chicken pot pie I made yesterday. Yes I did cheat with the pie crusts and used Pillsbury, but the rest was made from scratch. I would have taken a picture of it when served but it just looks like chicken pot pie. My awesome wife thought it was delicious. It is her recipe after all.

View attachment 655188
I just noticed the chicken, nice touch.

Tried something new with the leftovers this year: added a large scoop each of turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, and noodles along with a splash of chicken stock to a food processor. Pulsed it until well mixed and chopped. Used a small scoop to place a dollop onto an egg roll wrapper, rolled, sealed it, and fried them. Served alongside turkey gravy and cranberry jelly. Good stuff!

Adjustments.jpg

Tried something new with the leftovers this year: added a large scoop each of turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, and noodles along with a splash of chicken stock to a food processor. Pulsed it until well mixed and chopped. Used a small scoop to place a dollop onto an egg roll wrapper, rolled, sealed it, and fried them. Served alongside turkey gravy and cranberry jelly. Good stuff!

View attachment 655384
Interesting idea.

I had just wondered about it, so Googled to see if anyone else was doing it and ran across this thread:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pink-salt-in-turkey-brine.270714/

It made the dark meat stay pink and gave it a subtle ham flavor. A couple of people thought that the ham and turkey platters got mixed up, based on look alone.

I made a lightly cured smoked turkey back in 2013. Was delicious indeed (best I ever made In fact). But the wife thought it was awful and refused to eat it - because it tasted like ham.

It kept fresh really well. I finished it after about 2 weeks in the fridge.

I really enjoyed it. Highly recommend if you eat alone or with someone that has good taste.

Back