What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C633D0F9-E101-4F16-9D67-CDAB99A81273.jpeg

Duck soup. Sure, some green onion on top would have been nice.

Baked chicken thighs and rice. Seasoned with a mildish pepper powder blend of aji panca and Aleppo. Some 7-Pot Primo sauce to kick it up a few hundred notches :p That stuff is like crack. Its killing you and you cant stop using it.
9e0aMAz.jpg
Those just look awesome! Well done!

It's a Griswold that has been passed down in our family. :)

Awesome! I have an 8” that was my wife’s Great Great Grandmother’s, it my favorite thing in my kitchen! Apparently Erie and Griswold are the same thing, made by the same company. Some years they were stamped Griswold, some years Erie. Have you traced yours back to see how old it is? Here is a web site that I used to find out ours is from 1905! http://www.castironcollector.com/erie.php
And http://www.castironcollector.com/griswoldtm.php

Cheers!

Awesome! I have an 8” that was my wife’s Great Great Grandmother’s, it my favorite thing in my kitchen! Apparently Erie and Griswold are the same thing, made by the same company. Some years they were stamped Griswold, some years Erie. Have you traced yours back to see how old it is? Here is a web site that I used to find out ours is from 1905! http://www.castironcollector.com/erie.php

Cheers!
I'm not sure of the brand but my wife inherited her mother's cast iron cookware in 2010. We have about 8 pieces with 6"-12" frying pans and a Dutch oven. I absolutely LOVE these pans! I rarely use anything else.

Cheers!

I believe our pan dates back to the 20-40's.

Nothin' like Monterey Bay 'dabs. Yum. One thing I miss is the fresh seafood. Hard to get in the middle of AZ! :)

We're fortunate that our neighbors are part of a fishing co-op, and sometimes they just don't like the seafood (shrimp with heads on and anchovies in particular) or they order too much (in this case). But yeah, fresh seafood off the boat is yummy!

I know many of you snub fillets and Costco meat lately, but I’m cooking these two lovely pieces of meat tonight!
IMG_1789.JPG

Secret marinade included a new ingredient tonight in my steak.

IMG_1784.JPG

One of the hottest hot sauces I have ever bought and definitely the most flavorful, at least till your tastebuds go numb. Thanks for the tip on this sauce! It is just awesome!!

20190223_135346_1550958859871.jpg

Sous Vide prep for fondue/hot pot:
Zucchini, squash broccoli, mushroom, beef, potato & chicken.
20190223_174657_1550974736194.jpg

From top down:
Raw beef, chicken and shrimp next to hot pot. Below are ho-made
Creamy horseradish & cocktail sauce from fresh root and gorgonzola sauce.
Clockwise: heirloom bell pepper, raw purple and red potatoes,
From sous vide: mushroom, potato, broccoli, zucchini/squash and chicken/beef in center.
Sourdough and Pugliese bread
Charcuterie next to cheese fonue and a '04 cab from Hess

I admit I don't make the best looking pizza, but it does taste pretty good. This one is homemade dough with caramelized onions, kalamata olives, and goat cheese.

20190223-173912.jpg
Don't know what you're talking about, saw the goat cheese and thought it looks fuggin delicious. Kalamata and onions - bonus. Just need a fruit-forward Zin or a super Tuscan and I'd be happy as a clam.

I know many of you snub fillets and Costco meat lately, but I’m cooking these two lovely pieces of meat tonight!
View attachment 614218

Secret marinade included a new ingredient tonight in my steak.

View attachment 614220

One of the hottest hot sauces I have ever bought and definitely the most flavorful, at least till your tastebuds go numb. Thanks for the tip on this sauce! It is just awesome!!

Its flavor is great but its brutal too. Gives me horrible capsicum cramps if im not careful. It has an addictive quality that is hard to describe. Like BliS Blast on mega steroids. It is a must try for anyone that wants a REALLY hot natural sauce that is also big on flavor.

Reuben kimchi dogs with a little bit were killer.
RIPs65X.jpg

Its flavor is great but its brutal too. Gives me horrible capsicum cramps if im not careful. It has an addictive quality that is hard to describe. Like BliS Blast on mega steroids. It is a must try for anyone that wants a REALLY hot natural sauce that is also big on flavor.

Reuben kimchi dogs with a little bit were killer.
RIPs65X.jpg
Getting ready to make my own kimchi today...

The one i make for hotdogs is super simple

2 bags Dole slaw mix
2% Mortons canning salt by slaw weight. So 2% of 28oz..About 15grams
2% brine for topping off
1-2 Tbs gochugaru (mild Korean pepper flakes) per bag of slaw mix
distilled or bottled water
1 Tbs fish sauce (optional)

Salt the slaw mix and let it rest in a bowl. Mix it up every 20min for 2 hours.
Pour off the excess liquid after 2 hours and mix in the pepper flakes.
Pack it into a jar TIGHT.
Top off with a 2% brine if needed.

Leave it alone in a jar for at least 3-4 days in a warm dark place. Loose fitting lid or lid with a air lock. DONT crank a lid down tight unless you want to burp it daily.
Check it after a few days to see if its sour. When its sour toss it in the fridge for at least a week. After a month its getting really good.

My latest batch of wings: (first batch I've made in a while)

Wings prepped in my usual manner, seasoned, and ready for a date with the grill:

up5hNuQ.jpg

Wings deployed: (added a chunk of pecan wood to the grate right after taking this pic)

jcnmfTB.jpg

Thirty minutes in, and flipped:

QttW9kU.jpg

Sixy minutes in, sauced (wings sat on the grill for a few minutes to let the sauce set up), plated, and ready for devouring:

GVYI31J.jpg

Really nice smoke character, skin turned out crispy, and the meat was juicy and tender. If the weather cooperates tomorrow, I wil repeat this with some chicken drumsticks.

So much to like, wow. I seared some jimmy dean sausages in the all clad pan. Then added some garlic to the drippings and made a roux and bechamel. Served on the homecut pasta. It was almost spaetzle. Need to watch that video from passedpawn about handmade pastas. Anyone have any tips on a dish like this? I assume that I was on a good path, but not sure. Have always just kind of cooked like this. Maybe I should make the bechamel separate?
20190224_172047.jpeg
20190224_172056.jpeg
20190224_173049.jpeg
20190224_174326.jpeg

My latest batch of wings: (first batch I've made in a while)

Wings prepped in my usual manner, seasoned, and ready for a date with the grill:

up5hNuQ.jpg

Wings deployed: (added a chunk of pecan wood to the grate right after taking this pic)

jcnmfTB.jpg

Thirty minutes in, and flipped:

QttW9kU.jpg

Sixy minutes in, sauced (wings sat on the grill for a few minutes to let the sauce set up), plated, and ready for devouring:

GVYI31J.jpg

Really nice smoke character, skin turned out crispy, and the meat was juicy and tender. If the weather cooperates tomorrow, I wil repeat this with some chicken drumsticks.

Those just simply look awesome! What was your sauce recipe?

Those just simply look awesome! What was your sauce recipe?

I used bottle Frank's wing sauce from the store. Brush the wings on one side, flip, repeat, and drop the lid for 5-7 minutes to let the sauce warm up and set into the wings (otherwise, if you sauce and then plate immediately, I find you'd get more sauce on your fingers than would stay on the wings).

Another twist on this batch of wings: I didn't do a direct sear once the wings were cooked. Interestingly enough, I think I like this approach better. More experiments will be needed to confirm or disprove this hypothesis.

The good news is, I have a pack of drumsticks that will get the same treatment for lunch today. If I don't forget to take some, pics will follow.

When i do wings i get out my large SS bowl. Once the wings are nearly ready i put them in the bowl with whatever sauce im using. Toss them with the sauce/butter and put them back on the grill for a couple more minutes. Cuts down on the "sloppy" wings a little if you want less mess. Since they are fully cooked if anyone wants more sauce they can get it from the bowl.
haUlUre.jpg

Latest posts

Back