What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If course we made two trips to the State Fair of Texas this year, and it seems like there is somebody doing these things with way overpriced knives around every corner. Big fan of Damascus steel though. Don't own any but know how it's produced!

Some of these knives are very expensive. I'm not going to say they are overpriced because if you've ever watched anything being made by hand, you'd know that it's an art that you can't put a price on, and "by hand" is a lot more laborious than what you'd get out of a factory. That doesn't mean it's better, I know, but regardless some person toiled to make it.

I'm a designer myself (not knives!). I have an art of sorts. I get paid for making one or two of something. I appreciate handmade things, and I don't mind spending the money on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Global is a fully stainless knife, with metal handles. I think they look really weird. I've never handled one, and it might not be too bad depending on how you use a knife.

These new knives I just got have fairly thin blades. They are so freakishly hard and sharp, they feel kind of brittle. I dice veggies almost every night for salads, and these do a superb job with that. If you've done a tomato the chef way, a very sharp knife is the best thing.

Watch this guy do tomatoes at 0:45, the jalapeno at 2:40, and especially the red onions at 3:15. He's masterful. BTW, a Gyuto is a chef's knife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM6SR53ManE

That guy has mad knife skills. I have decent knife skills but not on that level.

The knife making video was cool. Never seen a knife forged with a machine doing the hammer. But that was not a Damascus steel knife unless a lot was left out of the video. The reason your Damascus steel knives look the way they do is the result of continuous folding of the the steel which may have been done but which was not shown and you could not see in that video. Regardless, the expensive knives you see with all the layers of steel prominent are the result of folding and pounding out over and over. I have no idea if it makes a better blade, but oh my god it looks really cool!!

Oh, and after they forge them they acid treat them to make the layers stand out I believe, but it's been a long time since I studied this stuff.

Had a bagel this morning with cream cheese and the Wrangler "Jelly"... It was good. Crock pot pulled pork and homemade BBQ sauce for dinner.

IMG_20151022_090818581.jpg

IMG_20151022_185457461.jpg

Wow. There were NO posts on Friday?? I don't think that has ever happened before. Or is my computer or the forum broken?

Multiple posts show for me.

Grilled up a bunch o beast last night. Combine with black beans, grilled peppers and onions, rice and warm tortillas. Fajitas for all!

damascus and japanese folded steel are very pretty, and totally pointless with modern steel.

Folding is done to add carbon and a more uniform structure to badly made steel, which isn't an issue with modern industrially made steel.

It's still very pretty and amazing to see though.

damascus and japanese folded steel are very pretty, and totally pointless with modern steel.

Folding is done to add carbon and a more uniform structure to badly made steel, which isn't an issue with modern industrially made steel.

It's still very pretty and amazing to see though.

Agree completely. It's very cool to see though. My new knives have some sort of hammered texture which they say keeps food from sticking to the blade. Sounds good in theory, but in practice I can tell you it seems to be just for looks, which I'm OK with. All things being equal, I'd prefer the ones that look good.

Less knife talk and Moar Cooking!!! :p

Did a oak smoked tri tip with veggie pilaf last night.

Tonight is goat cheese, spinach, and roasted red pepper stuffed pork loin. Hopefully I'll get pictures this time :)

Roasting a whole chicken in the oven...first time in a long time. Looks pretty amazing so far. Pics when it comes out.

I got an orange roughy fillet and prepared pretty simply - salt and pepper, then I battered one side (flour, then egg, then panko) then into some melted butter in a skillet. Once the breading got crispy, I turned it and put the whole thing in the oven to finish up. I had some baby Yukon golds roasting in the oven, then served it all with some wilted spinach.

Got the thumbs up for grilled meatloaf tomorrow.

I love roasted chicken, good trick is to rest it breast down, so the juices in the cavity will return there and you don't end up with a dry chicken breast.

we did indian style butter chicken today, but i forgot to take pictures, it tasted great though :D

This place is demanding! I can't always remember to take pictures of everything I cook.

Tonight was using up some old stew-beef in a long-simmered pot of vegetable-beef soup, and grilled cheese sandwiches on the side. No pics. Didn't happen.

Chili is together. Italian sausage, coarse ground ground beef, and chuck roast. Also has pinto and kidney beans which is verboten in Texas but it's a stupid rule. Lol. Rather than simmer it for two hours I am going to put it in the crock pot tomorrow morning and let it slow cook while I'm at work.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445744508.792944.jpg

I love roasted chicken, good trick is to rest it breast down, so the juices in the cavity will return there and you don't end up with a dry chicken breast.

we did indian style butter chicken today, but i forgot to take pictures, it tasted great though :D

I actually have a turkey recipe that you cook breast side down for the first half or so of cooking for the same reason.

I'm curious about the Indian butter chicken recipe. Have not heard of that before.

Multiple posts show for me.

Grilled up a bunch o beast last night. Combine with black beans, grilled peppers and onions, rice and warm tortillas. Fajitas for all!

That's weird. I show Matt's post on 10-22 at 11:43 PM followed by my post on 10-24 at 8:35 AM, followed by your post that I am quoting. Same on two computers and my iphone, so if there are posts here on 10-23 my account cannot see them! Oh well.

Roasting 3 Anehimes and 3 Poblanos for the chili.

I did the same this morning, for a batch of chili I'll make in a couple days. 3 poblanos, 6 jalapeno, 2 red bell peppers roasted, then pureed with a couple sweet onions that were sautéed in butter and bacon fat. I prefer a less chunky chili, hence the puree.

I like to knock that out and let all those flavors marry for a couple days.

Back