What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394656175.640049.jpg
Carnitas. Omg was it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Our grill never gets put away. We cover it between uses but the neighbors think it's hilarious to see me standing in front the open garage (heated to 50F) working the grill anytime during the winter. Nothing like grilled meat at -20 in January!

Same here, I'll grill when the mood strikes me, even if I have to shovel a path to the grill & clear a space around it in 20* temps. I never grill if the wind is to high though, especially in summer. I don't want any embers drifting around, starting any wildfires.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Looks like I'm grilling this weekend after all. Having friends over. Just need to decide what's economically agreeable and still delicious. We planned on getting together a couple of weekends ago, but the weather ruined that event. I had already smoked a large Pork Butt and had to give some away to a friend. No time for that this time, so probably going to get some chicken, maybe a pork loin, or burger and dogs. Even burger and dogs on the grill will be nice this time of year!

Well, decision made: passed out moose, caribou, halibut and salmon to friends and coworkers this past week. We are keeping enough to carry us until we move in July/August.

There isn't going to be any of our family left in Alaska when we leave the BiL decided to follow us to Arizona.

Well, my friend is coming down this weekend, but the rest of his family is staying behind because one of his kids has the same kind of head cold me and my daughter had this week.

Fajitas still sound like a winner!

Well, decision made: passed out moose, caribou, halibut and salmon to friends and coworkers this past week. We are keeping enough to carry us until we move in July/August.

There isn't going to be any of our family left in Alaska when we leave the BiL decided to follow us to Arizona.

Make sure you carry a little extra to AZ. ;)

Not sure if I'll get to it tonight, or tomorrow; but sometime soon I'm making rosemary rubbed elk tenderloin with a blackberry red wine (homemade pinot noir) sauce, cauliflower au gratin, and some kinda romaine-spinach salad. Maybe garlic bread too...

Sometime this weekend I'll also make a vertical roasted chicken with some chipotle cheddar mashed red potatoes and some other veggie.

OK, you guys with the wild game - STOP IT!!! LOL! I have to BUY mine and then it's farm-raised, not hunted. Sigh. We had bleu cheese/bacon bits-stuffed elk burgers the other night. DANG good.

Tonight - prosciutto-wrapped, pan-seared scallops and oven-roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon bits. You can never have too many pork products in any given meal.

Do you have my tracking number?:D
Fajitas are on my radar as I have a couple of nice grass fed skirt steaks in the freezer.
I have a brisket corning in fridge for Sunday. Pictures to come.:mug:

I did sous vide ribs from Wednesday->Friday evening. Dry rub, ~44 hours in the bath at 143 degrees, and then onto the grill quickly to caramelize some BBQ sauce.

The results were the most tender ribs I’ve ever eaten, and at the same time they were still moist and cooked to about medium, where BBQ ribs usually get cooked past well done to get the collagen to melt and the ribs to tenderize.

To me, they were too tender; I would have liked a little more chew. To Joanna, such a thing doesn’t exist, so she loved them. In the collection of ribs I’ve eaten in my life, they weren’t as good as the BEST traditional BBQ ribs I’ve ever had, but they were better than most that I’ve had, including from a lot of restaurants. And considering how easy it is to sous vide (20 min of prep on Wednesday night, set & forget for 44 hours, then 10 minutes on the grill Friday), I’d definitely do it again. But next time I might drop it to 24-36 hours so they don’t get over-tender.

20140313_075258.jpg

20140314_180709.jpg

20140314_180701.jpg

^^ she's a cutie. No, I'm not talking about the ribs all you smartasses.

We were worried that despite her clamoring for a taste, the fact that I used a spicy BBQ sauce would be too much.

Nope, just grabbed her sippy cup of water, and dug right back in!

She's gonna have me wrapped around her finger my whole life, huh?

My girls have had me wrapped around their little fingers since they first popped out of the chute. I would do anything for either of them--and I do mean anything!

This afternoon, I'm smoking spare ribs with a homemade Bourbon BBQ sauce. They've been on 'low-and-slow' for about 6 hours. A couple more and they will be ready.

This next Friday, I'll be getting up around 3AM to start smoking a brisket and a pork butt. Can't wait.

My wife found USDA Prime whole packer brisket at Costco for $2.99/lb today. So I've got one of those in the fridge. I think I need some houseguests next weekend so I can justify cooking 10# of meat!

I could not get my local Publix (supermarket) to order me a full packer. They literally couldn't do it. Ugh. So I bought the biggest full flat I could get.

I just corned the big flat. Checked it today, looks good, now I've got half of it in the crock pot for tomorrow, and I'm preparing the other half for the smoker to make a big chunk of pastrami. Yumm.

Hardest decision is which hot sauce

No contest for me - a little Tapatio topped with a little Cholula Chipotle. Man I love that stuff, but the Tapatio adds a little heat that the Cholula is lacking. Have you tried the Cholula Chile y Lime? That makes some really good camarones a la diabla! Or chile lime hot wings.

As for Dave's or Tabasco - not on my Mexican food, thankyouverymuch!

Those tacos look divine BTW.

No contest for me - a little Tapatio topped with a little Cholula Chipotle. Man I love that stuff, but the Tapatio adds a little heat that the Cholula is lacking. Have you tried the Cholula Chile y Lime? That makes some really good camarones a la diabla! Or chile lime hot wings.

As for Dave's or Tabasco - not on my Mexican food, thankyouverymuch!

Those tacos look divine BTW.

I've never seen the chile y lime Cholula before sounds good though. I do not like Tabasco on anything my wife likes it. Dave's insanity is ridiculously hot i can take only a drop or 2 the Cholula Chipotle is my favorite. Those tacos are simple and flavorful they are inspired by tacos i ate on the street during one of our trips to Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like the green hot sauce my son gave me. Might have been Cholula,can't remember. Great flavor & heat though. The Chipotle is another favorite. I also like the ghost chili & scorpion sauces in small amounts. I gotta find that green sauce again. Addictive stuff! :mug:

I made a 4lb batch of Rulman's hot Italian sausage. I left it loose to use in breakfast patties and such.

Everything I've made from his "Charcuterie" book has been fantastic and this was no exception.

Everything I've made from his "Charcuterie" book has been fantastic and this was no exception.

Thanks, this is good to know - I have the book but haven't used it yet! Waiting for KOTC to retire in July so I have a good kitchen helper for making sausages and bacon and stuff.

I'm gonna do my corned beef brisket today, it's a BIG one from Costco - gonna pressure cook it, then boil up some turnips/onions/baby carrots, and I just made Asian-style coleslaw. Not a big fan of boiled cabbage!

Back