What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BiL Birthday last Tuesday, My Wife's Birthday this Thursday, we decided to combine the celebration this past Saturday and I finally got a picture; Seafood Boil:
Crawfish, Snow Crab, Clams, Mussles, Shrimp, Corn on the Cob, Red Potatoes!
With exception of the Crab, contributed by a friend, the rest is purchased from 10th & M Seafoods in East Anchorage.

dinner.png

I made a chicken and sausage stew. I drove past the market after work on Saturday before the impending snow storm that didn't come and the place was packed and I wasn't dealing with it!
I poked around the darkest recesses of the freezer and found a chunk of bacon from my last batch, some peas and fillo dough, some more recent chicken thighs, homemade sausage and stock. Add potatoes, carrots and onion and end up with something delicious.:D

IMG_2169.jpg

I made a chicken and sausage stew. I drove past the market after work on Saturday before the impending snow storm that didn't come and the place was packed and I wasn't dealing with it!
I poked around the darkest recesses of the freezer and found a chunk of bacon from my last batch, some peas and fillo dough, some more recent chicken thighs, homemade sausage and stock. Add potatoes, carrots and onion and end up with something delicious.:D

If I'm not cooking/eating Mexican food which is my passion this is the kind of soul comforting food I love to eat it looks delicious chef.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Kinda reminds me of the golyash my Hungarian fil used to make with taters ,etc in it. :eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:

BiL Birthday last Tuesday, My Wife's Birthday this Thursday, we decided to combine the celebration this past Saturday and I finally got a picture; Seafood Boil:
Crawfish, Snow Crab, Clams, Mussles, Shrimp, Corn on the Cob, Red Potatoes!
With exception of the Crab, contributed by a friend, the rest is purchased from 10th & M Seafoods in East Anchorage.

Must have larger picture of seafood. Much larger!

Friday I made what I call "Cashew Pork." Pork, baby carrots, celery, scallions, edamame, crimini mushrooms, red cabbage, garlic, thyme, sweet basil, hoisin sauce, soy sauce & a dash of rooster sauce, and a double handful of raw, unsalted cashews; all stir-fried in dark sesame oil.
Regards, GF.

Got some nice Atlantic salmon fillets tonight (fish on sale on Ash Wednesday - who woulda guessed?) and grilled them with some zucchini and squash, and served that with some garlicky couscous.

Don't have any pix, but last weekend I made a batch of venison/blue cheese pierogi as well as a batch of venison/spinach/ricotta ravioli.
Too bad I'm on antibiotics so I can't pair them (yet) with a pint of brown ale that's ready and waiting.

What? You're not supposed to eat pasta with antibiotics???

The pasta's fine, it's the beer. More specifically the remnant yeast in the beer. I landed myself in the ER the last time I had a few beers on antibiotics.
The antibiotics kill the infection but also all the good bacteria in your gut. So the yeast in beer have nothing to fight them and they take over and reek havoc on your GI system.
Without the beer to wash them down, they both taste fantastic, so I'm sure it will only be better with beer. Everything is better with beer. :-D

The pasta's fine, it's the beer. More specifically the remnant yeast in the beer. I landed myself in the ER the last time I had a few beers on antibiotics.
The antibiotics kill the infection but also all the good bacteria in your gut. So the yeast in beer have nothing to fight them and they take over and reek havoc on your GI system.
Without the beer to wash them down, they both taste fantastic, so I'm sure it will only be better with beer. Everything is better with beer. :-D

Aw comeon. you know you want to give yourself autobrewery syndrome

Aw comeon. you know you want to give yourself autobrewery syndrome

Actually, it makes for a funny story, but it loses you all kinds of man points when you have to admit that you had a yeast infection. Nobody cares that you got it from drinking beer, you still technically had a yeast infection.

I jumped to last page.. I've posted here before a good number of times after reading each post first; if that counts.

I don't like to be one of those guys that reads the first post and then makes a post after not reading the 988 post before his. But I did skip a few this time.

Don't laugh at about what I'm going to say, please.

Last weekend I made mashed potatoes from an 89 cent package of dried potatoes and I cooked some pre-seasoned boneless skinless chicken on a cheap electric grill.

I gotta admit, the food came out tasting pretty good! It wasn't perfect, but it came out tasty. The food was pre-salted and seasoned, probably a ton of MSG which I'm no fan of. In a pinch though, a hell of a lot better than fast food.

I like caramelizing brussel sprouts. A whole new taste! My wife made baked chicken drum sticks & thighs Thursday with mushroom soup & baked potatoes & I made some fresh asparagus with garlic butter to go with. I know it's an old Camble thing,but we all forgot how much we like the tender,juicy chicken & that sauce it makes. Simple & good!

So i cooked this slab of ribs on the smoker . Kind of czech style . Charcoal died out a little too fast so I decided to finish them off in the oven . Tossed in a couple small potatoes . A potato actually exploded . the pic shows the potato , hollow on inside , I pealed back the skin a little so you could see it . the stuff in the bottom of the oven under it is the insides .

Picture 012.jpg

Picture 013.jpg

So i cooked this slab of ribs on the smoker . Kind of czech style . Charcoal died out a little too fast so I decided to finish them off in the oven . Tossed in a couple small potatoes . A potato actually exploded . the pic shows the potato , hollow on inside , I pealed back the skin a little so you could see it . the stuff in the bottom of the oven under it is the insides .

That's crazy!

Baked a loaf of German Rye on Friday and made some patty melts with it. I decided to throw some of my home cured bacon on the melts, which was a marvelous idea!

Today I made a couple loaves of basic white bread. I've been trying for years to make a white loaf that came out super soft, and today I finally succeeded. It's quite delicious.

IMG-20140307-00855.jpg

IMG-20140307-00856 (2).jpg

IMG-20140308-00858.jpg

IMG-20140308-00860.jpg

Somehow got it into my head that I would try to stew up some turkey necks. Apparently when done right they are similar in taste and texture to ox tails but at $1.50 or so a pound much easier on the wallet.

So I picked up a pound of necks and marinated them in my house jerk rub and some Boston Jerk Seasoning. Was going for a brown stew rather than a jerk flavor but using the jerk rub is a lot faster than grinding up allspice, thyme, cinnamon, cloves, etc etc...and the Boston Jerk Seasoning is more like browning sauce than jerk anyway as far as I am concerned so I figured that would balance everything out.

p1010207.jpg

Stewed them up for about 2 hours with bell peppers, onions, garlic, scallions, celery, thyme, culantro, a scotch bonnet pepper and 8 oz of Yuengling. Seasoned with salt, brown sugar, ground ginger and more of the Boston Jerk Seasoning.

p1010238.jpg

Threw it on some rice n peas. Friggin' delicious. And indeed just like ox tails. My mouth is still watering. Definitely a win.

p1010244.jpg

And when you spend three hours cooking lunch, you can take it easy and throw together some turkey cubans and frozen french fries for dinner.

p1010267.jpg

Back