What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found hog jowl bacon at the store yesterday, and cooked some up this morning for the traditional bacon, eggs and hash browns breakfast. Double points: not only is it cheap; it's tasty.

At the moment, I have a stew simmering. I diced up a couple of pork cushions, shook the meat in a bag of flour and Pappy's Louisiana Hot Spice Seasoning, and browned the pieces thoroughly in a mix of bacon grease and chicken fat, until the flour started forming a crust.

Then I poured in a KCCO Black Lager (another good find at the store, and on sale), and simmered the pork on low heat until it was tender and bathed in a rich brown gravy.

Then I added (not necessarily in order) chopped pasilla chiles, baby carrots, a diced rutabaga, sliced mushrooms, minced garlic, chopped brown onion, diced russet potatoes, cilantro and more Pappy's. And water to cover, of course. Wasn't about to give up that last black lager....;)

The whole house smells good.

add: Pappy's Louisiana Hot Spice Seasoning is my go-to spice mix for a wide range of dishes, from a Santa Maria tri-tip to a pot of gumbo, to something to sprinkle on roasted corn on the cob after it's buttered. It's from California instead of Louisiana, but I don't think anyone who tastes it will hold that against it....

Home smoked pork, homemade brocolli slaw, and homemade spicy mustard Carolina BBQ sauce. Life is good.

img_20140309_211827_791-1-62452.jpg

I've really got to start taking photos of my food..

I made three 13x9 dishes of shells for a dinner party on Saturday, then on Sunday for lunch I braised some bone in chicken breast and made a red wine reduction finishing sauce, and on Sunday night I made a pan seared rib-eye with sauteed peppers, onions & mushrooms and roasted carrot planks. I also made up a ragout with chicken, italian sausage and hamburger.

I was felt a like cooking this weekend, so I went for it... now I've got meals made up for the week.

I can't even remember what I ATE for dinner last night! Stupid head cold! Doctor didn't give me any antibiotics, but I did get a steroid shot, which I admit, has helped so far.

I DID manage to dig out my grill and get the tank refilled.

Oh yeah, wife made Hamburger Helper last night! It was the kid's request. I was all set to make a cabbage casserole to use up some ground beef, but she was already set on making HH. It wasn't too bad actually.

Man, wish I had thought to take a picture - had ovenroasted split chicken breasts, which I put in the pan atop chopped sweet onions, then poured a beer in and covered with foil - about 30 minutes in, I uncovered and raised the temp to 400*. They came out so juicy and the skin was crispy. Also made mashed cauliflower and milk gravy with the pan drippings. All low-carb and all DE-LISH.

Googling 5-way!

You can get the skyline in canned form at the groceries around here. The MRS hails from Cinci so we make it pretty regularly. If you can't find it local let me know and I'll send you a can or two. There are also some pretty good approximation recipes on the interwebz but it may be helpful to taste the original first.

:mug:

Last night I had a McDonalds Premium Chicken Sandwich on the way to my daughter's High School Band and Orchestra Festival. (The Wind Ensemble scored a 1 BTW!).

Or I WOULD have had a chicken sandwich if they hadn't actually served me a burger instead. It was still pretty good.

But, I dug out my grill and refilled the tank and I think tonight I am going to grill something. Not sure what yet. Maybe some chicken.

You can get the skyline in canned form at the groceries around here. The MRS hails from Cinci so we make it pretty regularly. If you can't find it local let me know and I'll send you a can or two. There are also some pretty good approximation recipes on the interwebz but it may be helpful to taste the original first.

:mug:

Now that I know what it is I can say that I've actually had it once. Pretty good if I recall correctly, but I didn't know it was called skyline chili. I am not sure which version it was now.

Now that I know what it is I can say that I've actually had it once. Pretty good if I recall correctly, but I didn't know it was called skyline chili. I am not sure which version it was now.

The other main restaurants in the Cincy area are Gold Star Chili and Empire Chili. Skyline is the "original" but they are all pretty close - and awesome.

A five way is cinci chili on spaghetti noodles,then beans,finely chopped onions,then a heap of shredded cheddar cheese. I could shred a big plate of that right now! They have it fixed up in the freezer section too. A box of those White Castle burgers on the side would be great too!

I loved 5-ways when Ford had transfered me down there for a while. Those & Godfather's Pizza!

Godfathers pizza used to be up in Northwest Ohio but went out of business here long ago. I recall it being deep dish and pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

But, I dug out my grill and refilled the tank and I think tonight I am going to grill something. Not sure what yet. Maybe some chicken.

Our grill is usually the very first thing BigJohn digs out.

Our grill never gets put away. We cover it between uses but the neighbors think it's hilarious to see me standing in front the open garage (heated to 50F) working the grill anytime during the winter. Nothing like grilled meat at -20 in January!

Even with a heated garage, you got to walk back to the heater to get some warmth then back to the head of the driveway to do your grill magic. Of course it gives me time to enjoy a decent cigar or bowl of tobacco in my pipe.

Latest posts

Back