What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those both sound like delicious meals Dan. I used to make spaghetti often, but my daughter isn't a huge fan. I think I might have worn her out on it when she was little. Being a single, working dad I made it a lot. Like you say, it's quick and easy.

Today I have decided I'm going to grill some shrimp and kielbasa ( I always throw a kielbasa or two on the grill anytime I fire it up). I'm also going to grill up various veggies. I have a couple sweet potatoes left from the holidays that I will likely par cook and then finish on the grill as well.

I'm glad you're finally getting your taco fix! :)

Sounds great! What time we eating? :D:D

Sounds great! What time we eating? :D:D

Right now brother!

I ended up with Shrimp that I marinated in garlic-hazelnut stout marinade. Also, I marinated some Mexican and yellow squash and baby ports in brown ale-blackberry vinaigrette. Lastly I par cooked some sweet potatoes and finished them on the grill with olive oil and then butter. Oh, and a chunk of kielbasa of coarse. I paired it all with my year old vanilla berry cider.

IMG-20140105-00651.jpg

IMG-20140105-00652 (2).jpg

I had some beef stew meat I needed to use before it turned, so this weekend I made coconut curry/cinnamon beef with broccoli, snow peas, scallions, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, a bit of brown ale, a dash of mesquite liquid smoke, the juice of 1 lime, a couple dashes of rooster sauce & several shakes of soy sauce. Served over rice noodles & paired with a brown ale. Yep, cinnamon goes great with hot madras curry. No recipe, no measurements, I just thought it up & did it.
Regards, GF.

This is what dreams are made of.

It was WAY too sweet for my tastes. Not sure what to do about that except maybe reduce the amount of sugar and increase the amount of honey and use less. The bottom was more than saturated. Maybe cooking the syrup longer would make it thicker and integrate into the baklava better.

I plan to do again, and I have more sheets of dough, but there will be some changes.

Of course, everyone else loved it, so it might just be me.

I gotta find the recipe we used to do. You mixed honey with hot water,but I forget the proportions. You just thinned it enough to soak in after so many minutes. I remember it coming out like the bakery stuff.

Ok no pics but I miss posting in this thread. Made a pizza with sourdough crust and topped with a blend of asiago, provolone, and mozzarella with some oregano and adobo sprinkled on top.

I started a batch of gravlax yesterday, so I'll be enjoying eating it on Sunday.
If anybody's interested, this is the recipe I used:
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/132/Gravlax

I deviated from the recipe only a wee bit: I only used 1 tablespoon of pepper (total), and I'm letting it cure for 3 days instead of 2. It's really easy to make & very tasty; I used 4.5lbs of Copper River salmon.
Regards, GF.

EDIT: I did the "rinse" of the fish like the recipe said & it was still so salty I couldn't stand it. I soaked the cured fish in water for a few hours (in the fridge) & that did the trick. The fish was tasty & delicious on rye flatbread/crackers.
Regards, GF.

I started a batch of gravlax yesterday, so I'll be enjoying eating it on Sunday.
If anybody's interested, this is the recipe I used:
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/132/Gravlax

I deviated from the recipe only a wee bit: I only used 1 tablespoon of pepper (total), and I'm letting it cure for 3 days instead of 2. It's really easy to make & very tasty; I used 4.5lbs of Copper River salmon.
Regards, GF.

NICE! I must try this.

It's 12am here, and I'm marinating some pork chops for tomorrow. I might love bbq!
I've been on a homebrew marinade kick lately. The possibilities are literally endless..

Tonight I made the marinade with peach saison, mustard, garlic, homemade orange syrup, celery salt, and pico de gallo rub. I'll remove the chops from the marinade in the morning, add bbq sauce and cook the concoction until it reduces to a thick sauce. I'll use that sauce to mop the chops while their on the grill.

Melana, that's truly THE most AWESOME way to make cinnamon rolls I've ever seen or heard of! :rockin:
I'll bet they taste just as awesome as they look too.
Regards, GF.

Those cinnamon rolls look awesome! I haven't seen it done like that either. Looks cool.

Went to bed ridiculously early last night, got up early and made homemade waffles, eggs over medium, and fruit smoothies for the family. Time for a nap now.

I started making Cheesey's 5 bullion soup, but just couldn't leave well enough alone. I started adding things like it was stone soup & ended up with something like dragon soup.

Beef & chicken broth, ham base, a couple cups of water, bonito flakes, dried shrimp, dulce, coconut milk, curry, bay leaf, sweet basil, garlic, onion, celery, swiss chard, bok choy, broccoli, a little golden miso, soy sauce, mushrooms, frozen shrimp, crab meat, a dash of rooster sauce, black pepper, sweet basil, fresh ginger, ginger powder, a dash of nutmeg, lime juice, and maifun rice noodles.

My house smells very fishy now, but the soup is tasty!
Regards, GF.

Made Pork Loin this weekend. Usual Feta Cheese with Spinach filling, but I added apple sauce, because, yeah know, apples sauce and pork go so good together...

Well, it wasn't great. I'll eat it, because I don't like to let things go to waste, but the family was not impressed. That was pretty much it for this weekend. It was a lazy weekend for cooking.

We went Indian last night.

The chicken was marinaded for 48 hours in Greek Yogurt, curry, turmeric, garam masala, ginger, garlic, onions, and salt and pepper.
Veggie curry had red potatoes, roasted eggplant, roasted butternut squash, roasted cauliflower, carrots, onions, garlic, tomatoes, coconut milk, and a touch of chicken stock. I'll definitely do this again, it's amazing.
The na'an turned out OK, but there's room for improvement. I used a pizza stone on the middle rack in a 500F oven for the first few minutes, then turned on the broiler to finish it off. I think next time I'll move the rack up one and just use the broiler all the way and replace eggs in my recipe with yogurt to get it nice and soft...maybe a touch of baking powder to get it to puff up?
This was my first time using Ghee and I have to say, I like it a lot better than regular butter.

indian.jpg

Back