What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight I picked up half a pernil and decided to try my hand at some carnitas (pork tacos). First time making these, came out great.

img_3299.jpg

img_3316.jpg

img_3324.jpg

img_3329.jpg

On the way onto the grill... Butterflied pork loin stuffed with apples and cornbread stuffing (thanks guys for the idea).... It's about 125 now so we have a way to go... The rain isn't helping the grill any tonight.
View attachment 168852

I've been contemplating this also, when you hear a knock it will just be me, I'll have pizza!

This thread is awesome! Everything that you all post looks so good!!

I'm gettin' my grill on! Chicken breasts, kielbasa, and a bunch of veggies. All soaked in a marinade made with homebrewed brown ale.

Looks so tasty! Just wondering a couple things tho: Do you find the alcohol in the marinade tends to dry out the meat? Do you brush your chicken breast with oil? What is the base for your marinade?

I've taken to using LME in BBQ sauce & some marinades in place of honey and/or beer, unhopped & unfermented wort works well too. I've had problems with alcohol drying out the meat. I also like to brush chicken breast with dark sesame oil, starting about 1/2 way through grilling. Helps to keep 'em moist & juicy and adds a subtle nutty flavour.
Regards, GF.

Breakfast homemade sausage gravy and biscuits

Dude, My mouth instantly watered looking at that! It doesn't help that I skipped breakfast his morning but I can seriously pack away some biscuits and gravy. I like to serve it; 1/2 biscuit down then poached egg, a little gravy, other 1/2 of biscuit, then more gravy!

Looks so tasty! Just wondering a couple things tho: Do you find the alcohol in the marinade tends to dry out the meat? Do you brush your chicken breast with oil? What is the base for your marinade?

I've taken to using LME in BBQ sauce & some marinades in place of honey and/or beer, unhopped & unfermented wort works well too. I've had problems with alcohol drying out the meat. I also like to brush chicken breast with dark sesame oil, starting about 1/2 way through grilling. Helps to keep 'em moist & juicy and adds a subtle nutty flavour.
Regards, GF.

I don't have any problem with the meat drying out with the alcohol in the beer. I seer it very quickly on high heat and then take it off the flame and just let it slowly bake on the cold side of the grill. As it bakes I continually baste with the marinade. It was actually super tender and juicy.

The marinade was 12 oz. brown ale, about 1.5 oz olive oil, garlic powder, dash of celery salt, tsp of pesto, a squirt of mustard, a dash of balsamic, a dash of Old Bay, 1/2 tsp of chicken rub, and a tablespoon of homemade orange syrup.

It works great on the meat and the veggies. It tastes fantastic, and the smell coming off of the grill is intoxicating.

Dude, My mouth instantly watered looking at that! It doesn't help that I skipped breakfast his morning but I can seriously pack away some biscuits and gravy. I like to serve it; 1/2 biscuit down then poached egg, a little gravy, other 1/2 of biscuit, then more gravy!

I like it garnished with thinly sliced green onion with sunny side eggs but today i put a little blackberry jam on the biscuits before putting down a generous portion of gravy and it was so good. I had never served it that way but someone suggested it to me and it is surprisingly good.

Went to my favorite local chicken ranch and got a little fryer which I cooked up using a trick I saw on America's Test Kitchen - Preheat the oven to 450 with a cast-iron skillet in it - once the oven and skillet are hot, add the chicken, let 'er cook for 25 mins, and turn the oven off and let it cook with residual heat. That apparently lets the dark meat cook faster than the white meat so it all finishes at the same time. It turned out really, really well. SWMBO and I polished the whole chicken off, and lots of veggies, in no time flat.

Then I got a HUGE 9.5 pound pork butt and smoked it on the WSM for about 17 hours. It was a good cookin' weekend.

Hmmmm ... then I think you have two choices:

1. Satisfy that want by making tacos, or
2. Curb that want by going to Taco Bell. You shouldn't have a craving for tacos for quite a while.... ;)

Haha number 2 is true but I wouldnt stoop that low. Havent been there for years and proud of it, I cant stand Taco Hell

So is this little piggy going on a rotisserie or into a pit? Either way, this can only end in tasty awesomeness!
Regards, GF. :mug:

I don't have any problem with the meat drying out with the alcohol in the beer. I seer it very quickly on high heat and then take it off the flame and just let it slowly bake on the cold side of the grill. As it bakes I continually baste with the marinade. It was actually super tender and juicy.

The marinade was 12 oz. brown ale, about 1.5 oz olive oil, garlic powder, dash of celery salt, tsp of pesto, a squirt of mustard, a dash of balsamic, a dash of Old Bay, 1/2 tsp of chicken rub, and a tablespoon of homemade orange syrup.

It works great on the meat and the veggies. It tastes fantastic, and the smell coming off of the grill is intoxicating.

Sounds tasty! Thanks for sharing your marinade recipe, I'll have to give it a try next time I grill. My goto chicken marinade is 1qt. pineapple juice, 1 bottle (12oz?) Kikkoman teriyaki, 1 bottle (12oz?) low sodium soysauce, a few dashes of liquid smoke (mesquite), and then I either leave it as is, or add to it. Sometimes I'll add a cup of LME, other things I add sometimes are garlic juice, ginger juice, coconut milk, Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce, hoisin sauce lends sort of a jamaican jerk flavour. It's a very versatile base.
I save the oil for brushing the chicken breasts while they're on the grill.
Regards, GF.

Haha number 2 is true but I wouldnt stoop that low. Havent been there for years and proud of it, I cant stand Taco Hell

Taco Bell tacos are stoner food and Doritos are stoner food so those Doritos locos tacos have to be the ultimate in stoner food. If they start sprinkling those things with Oreo crumbles the drive thru lines would be never ending at night.

Back